Strange noise when coasting. 2009 SES Coupe. - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-28-2012, 05:30 PM   #1
dnorf
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 66785
What I Drive: 09 Black SES Coupe

FF Reputation: 1 dnorf Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Strange noise when coasting. 2009 SES Coupe.

Quick and to the point:

I have a 2009 Focus SES Coupe (US Spec), and a couple days ago I stopped driving down the road as there was an oncoming car. One lane. When I touched the gas pedal to go, I heard a popping noise come from somewhere. Not sure where, as there was a lot of noise going on around me.

As soon as I got up to 25mph, I thought it'd be a good idea to pull over and see if everything is fine. I let off the gas and noticed a clicking noise, like a card in bicycle spokes. It was very loud at first...

After a few days to mess around and find out what's happening, it turns out that it only happens when i'm coasting. I can even be rolling downhill in neutral and have it make noise. It sort of sounds like it's coming from the front left wheel, but I have no idea as i can't exactly drive my car past myself.

I can occasionally hear it between shifts (if it's lazy-shifting). I took it into the dealership and had them look at it, they blamed the noise on a loose bumper (definitely not the case!). I have an extended warranty on this thing, so I'd hope whatever is broken is covered so I can get to work while it's in the shop.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2012, 07:16 PM   #2
pasta
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62350
What I Drive: 2003 eap svt

FF Reputation: 5 pasta Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (34)
check your cv joints turn car fully to the left and drive then fully to right and see if you here anything
Old 09-29-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
dnorf
Focus Enthusiast

I'm supposed to hear a popping noise, right? The only thing I hear is the power steering pump complaining...No noise from anything else.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #4
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnorf View Post
I'm supposed to hear a popping noise, right? The only thing I hear is the power steering pump complaining...No noise from anything else.
Hi dnorf,

Drop by your dealership so a Ford certified tech can get their hands on your car. They'll be your best bet to get an accurate diagnosis. Touch base with me and fill me in on how things go; I'm happy to step in and assist whenever you need me.

Thanks,
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 10-01-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
dnorf
Focus Enthusiast

I already had a dealer look at the issue. They said it was my bumper making noise. Something is definitely wrong, and it can't possibly be the bumper. It doesn't make the noise when i'm touching the gas pedal at all...I want them to explain how it could still be my bumper. The guy said "trust me, i'm the one who does this for a living".

I'm mostly trying to ask here because i'm very broke, and to see if anybody has had a similar issue. I still think it's the CV joint. I just don't hear any popping noises...the pop seems to be when i'm coasting, and it's consistent.

Bookmarks & Social Networks