The Competition - Page 4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-29-2012, 01:47 AM   #31
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,903, Level 66
Points: 9,903, Level: 66 Points: 9,903, Level: 66 Points: 9,903, Level: 66
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralck View Post
This is probably a really dumb thought, but is it possible to replace the ST's full size spare with a donut and smaller foam so the seats fold flat? Or is that a safety issue?
Theoretically it can be done, but its not necessarily a great idea as not only is it a temporary duty tire, the largest compact spare is still only about 4-4.5" wide vs the 7-8"+ of the standard 18" wheels (iirc they are 18"x8") so the load rating for the temporary spare might cause an issue (perhaps not, but its best to err on the side of caution). I definitely wouldn't recommend it on the driven axle especially as that could also cause uneven wear on the axles and cv joints for the duration that they are installed as the height and weight are so far from that of the normal wheel and tire combination. Although to be fair I wouldn't recommend that on even the regular Focus with its 15-18" wheels for the same reasons.

It would be better than removing the spare wheel all together and only having an inflator or a can of tire sealing compound that will be useless if the side wall is gone or if there is a large enough hole in the tire. Nevermind the fact that it is allegedly a pain in the neck to clean that garbage out of the wheel, and it may even damage the TPMS sensor, but that I don't know.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2012, 12:22 PM   #32
jsr72
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97393
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE

Points 150, Level 2
Points: 150, Level: 2 Points: 150, Level: 2 Points: 150, Level: 2
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 5 jsr72 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Theoretically it can be done, but its not necessarily a great idea as not only is it a temporary duty tire, the largest compact spare is still only about 4-4.5" wide vs the 7-8"+ of the standard 18" wheels (iirc they are 18"x8") so the load rating for the temporary spare might cause an issue (perhaps not, but its best to err on the side of caution).
Load carrying isn't an issue. The Focus minispare has a higher load index than any of the regular Focus tires.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:23 PM   #33
ralck
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96372
What I Drive: My sister's car while it is salty

FF Reputation: 1 ralck Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Theoretically it can be done, but its not necessarily a great idea as not only is it a temporary duty tire, the largest compact spare is still only about 4-4.5" wide vs the 7-8"+ of the standard 18" wheels (iirc they are 18"x8") so the load rating for the temporary spare might cause an issue (perhaps not, but its best to err on the side of caution). I definitely wouldn't recommend it on the driven axle especially as that could also cause uneven wear on the axles and cv joints for the duration that they are installed as the height and weight are so far from that of the normal wheel and tire combination. Although to be fair I wouldn't recommend that on even the regular Focus with its 15-18" wheels for the same reasons.

It would be better than removing the spare wheel all together and only having an inflator or a can of tire sealing compound that will be useless if the side wall is gone or if there is a large enough hole in the tire. Nevermind the fact that it is allegedly a pain in the neck to clean that garbage out of the wheel, and it may even damage the TPMS sensor, but that I don't know.
Okay... sounds like it's too risky to do (at least for me). I suppose I don't really need fold-flat seats all the time, and the few times I do I can figure a work-around out.

Also, for everyone interested, the 2013 Mazda3 is up on their website. Now that I see their configurations, it's looking more and more like a new Focus because:
  • They dropped Sky Blue (equivalent to Blue Candy) so I can't get the color I really want
  • The iGrand Touring with manual forces the tech package. It's not a bad set of options, but that puts the price at 25.5 and with the options I'd want and re-doing my roof rack, I'm looking at ~26k.

So the Mazda MSRP with additions is 2k more than the SE with 201A and 4.5K above the SE without 201A. With the Focus $2000 rebate and the Ford dealership offering invoice, it's just too much money to put into upgrades, student loans, etc, etc. I'm estimating I can get a Focus for about 4 grand cheaper than an equivalently equipped Mazda3. And if I skip 201A it's about 6 grand.
Even the base ST with moonroof (the configuration I would get) is cheaper MSRP compared to the Mazda3 (without my "extras")!
Old 09-29-2012, 02:49 PM   #34
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Points 2,932, Level 33
Points: 2,932, Level: 33 Points: 2,932, Level: 33 Points: 2,932, Level: 33
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 12 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hi revhigh!

I can assure you that Ford engineers are hard at work on a solution. One of the reasons I escalate cases is to get more information in their hands.

Let me know how things go at your dealership. I'm more than happy to step in whenever you need me.

Thanks!
Crystal
Gosh Crystal, we all want to believe Ford's best engineering talent is working flat out to solve these problems. But, with suspension, MFT and DCT issues persisting after the car has been on the market for the better part of two years, a rational person would conclude that either: 1) the engineers aren't very good or 2) they aren't working very hard on the problems or 3) the problems just can't be fixed. None of these say very good things about Ford, our cars, their eventual resale value, etc.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:23 PM   #35
ralck
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Gosh Crystal, we all want to believe Ford's best engineering talent is working flat out to solve these problems. But, with suspension, MFT and DCT issues persisting after the car has been on the market for the better part of two years, a rational person would conclude that either: 1) the engineers aren't very good or 2) they aren't working very hard on the problems or 3) the problems just can't be fixed. None of these say very good things about Ford, our cars, their eventual resale value, etc.
I don't mean to sound rude here, but can we please keep this thread on-topic?

That being said, I went down to the dealership today and after sitting in SE's with the 200 and 201A packages, I ended up ordering a 2013 with 201A, Blue Candy, moonroof, and winter packages. It was hard to pass up with invoice plus the 2000 rebate after that. I may qualify for the recent graduate program again (I'm still within the time-frame, just not sure if I can get it a second time), so I might have another $500 off. Plus, the dealership offers free oil changes for life (so now I don't have to crawl under the car in the middle of winter!).
I'll be saving ~4-5 grand vs the Mazda3, so I'll just put that towards student loans or my next car.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:32 PM   #36
Power Surge
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55878
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE 5-door

FF Reputation: 1 Power Surge Good Standing Member
Hmmm...with everything I have read...why not consider getting a leftover Job2 2012? That gives you rear discs on the SE sport and well as a ton other options they did away with for 13. You could probably even get a leftover Titainium for what a 13 SE goes for.

Just a thought. That's the route I'd go. There's nothing I've seen on a 13 that would make me not look for a leftover 12 first for way less money.
2008 Vista Blue SE (gone)
Old 09-30-2012, 09:21 AM   #37
ralck
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Surge View Post
Hmmm...with everything I have read...why not consider getting a leftover Job2 2012? That gives you rear discs on the SE sport and well as a ton other options they did away with for 13. You could probably even get a leftover Titainium for what a 13 SE goes for.

Just a thought. That's the route I'd go. There's nothing I've seen on a 13 that would make me not look for a leftover 12 first for way less money.
I tried that. Problem is, there are basically none out there in manual transmission. I refuse to get the DCT (MTX is more fun and engaging).
Old 09-30-2012, 09:58 AM   #38
funktional
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 100157
What I Drive: 2006 Silver ZX3 S (totaled)

FF Reputation: 1 funktional Good Standing Member
My focus was totaled a couple of months ago, I chose to go with the Mazda and I've been very happy with my decision so far. After doing a ton of research on both cars I just was not too thrilled with the issues Ford has been having with the latest Focus and while I enjoyed my previous Focus, it certainly was not without issues. I drive a lot and already have almost 15k on the Mazda with zero issues. Drive both for a decent amount of time before you decide, they both have their strengths and weaknesses, personally I liked the suspension/steering in the Mazda much better but I will give the nod to the Focus in the looks department.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #39
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,903, Level 66
Points: 9,903, Level: 66 Points: 9,903, Level: 66 Points: 9,903, Level: 66
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifocus View Post
Good choice and the right choice..................ZOOM ZOOM !
The 3 is not immune from the suspension clunk issues reportedly, and uses the exact same upper strut bearings as the Focus. The skyactiv 2.0 L gdi gas engine is less powerful than the nominally similarly sized 2.0L GDI engine in the Focus. The skyactiv automatic is a traditional automatic with a minor twist, a more aggressive lock up clutch and a smaller torque converter than normal, which can lead to shuddering by design which is as bad or worse as anything reported about the mechanically simpler powershift dry dual clutch automated manual transmission, at least when it misbehaves. But do go on about how the mazda feels sportier because it has a firmer ride and crashes about more.

The Focus had a much better compromise between ride and handling, even the standard suspension on the hatch is firm yet supple, it doesn't crash about and beat you up, yet it still holds the road well.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:15 PM   #40
revhigh
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98516
What I Drive: 2012 Mazda 3 SkyActiv 6A Touring

FF Reputation: 1 revhigh Good Standing Member
Quote:
The skyactiv 2.0 L gdi gas engine is less powerful than the nominally similarly sized 2.0L GDI engine in the Focus.

The skyactiv automatic is a traditional automatic with a minor twist, a more aggressive lock up clutch and a smaller torque converter than normal, which can lead to shuddering by design which is as bad or worse as anything reported about the mechanically simpler powershift dry dual clutch automated manual transmission, at least when it misbehaves.

it doesn't crash about and beat you up

WOW !!! It has a whole FIVE horsepower less than the Focus. What a dog that must make it .... however it does have THREE more lb/ft of torque than the Focus so that really makes a huge difference as well.

Regarding the transmission ... evidently it (the Mazda transmission) misbehaves' a helluva lot less often than the Focus DCT does. I drove two or three Mazdas at the time, and all of them were silky smooth without a hint of your so-called 'bad bahaviour'. My daughter currently owns a Mazda with a perfect transmission at 140K miles, and I've owned other Mazdas over the years ... they all acted just like normal cars and didn't leave you wondering when the tranny was going to fail, or why it was grinding, or shuddering, or 'missing gears', or hunting for gears, or unexpectedly going into neutral when starting out.

Also ... how is it that the antiquated, horrendous, cavemanlike slushbox transmission of the Mazda gets better mileage than the vastly more advanced and high-tech DCT transmission of the Focus ... with the exception of the SFE model ?

Personally ... I've never experienced a Mazda suspension that 'crashed about and beat you up' ... and you're the only person who I've ever heard use the terms you use in describing anything non-Ford. Even my teenage daughter knows that excessive exaggeration does nothing to further the point you're trying to make. The Mazda 3 has for years been the benchmark of the world for compact cars, and for you to dismiss it's suspension as 'crashing about', and 'beating you up' ... is simply ludicrous. My considered assessment would be that the Focus suspension is slightly better and a little more compliant .... however, that slight advantage quickly loses it's luster by the clunking, creaking, and noise issues that many examples of the Focus experience.

I'm not saying which to buy ... that's the OP's decision to make .... but if I had it to do again ... I think I'd go with the 3 ... given what I know now. Unfortunately ... Ford has grossly disappointed a lot of current buyers, and their inability to resolve these issues ... or worse yet ... their denial that they exist ... just makes it even worse.

REV

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.