New head replacement - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-01-2012, 11:59 PM   #1
casanovaxpress
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96034
What I Drive: 2000 white focus sx

FF Reputation: 1 casanovaxpress Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
New head replacement

Hello Everyone,
i just replaced my head on my 2000 Focus 2.0l SOHC. But there are two things i do not know where they go.

This is a vacuum hose that is located behind the motor next to the fire wall.

This is hard to see but its a large hose that is connected to the bottom of the intake manifold.

I started the car up but it idled pretty speratically and would not stay started. I am assuming its because of the vacuum that isnt connected.

Josh

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
a_2000_se
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62964
What I Drive: 2000 SE SOHC SPI, Compression @ 164

Points 4,699, Level 43
Points: 4,699, Level: 43 Points: 4,699, Level: 43 Points: 4,699, Level: 43
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 15 a_2000_se Great Standing Member
Search on FF for this phrase:

#6 - Vacuum, Spaghetti thin black hoses go to Fuel Rail Pressure Switch, Purge Control Valve, EGR Servo/DPFE. Not EGR tube.

or google the same phrase above. It should help with what you are looking for.
Replaced #4 Piston, Rings, Rod+Bearings, AERA Re-Manufactured Cylinder Head and a light Hone. Then CLEANED the hell out of everything.
60k+ miles.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:52 PM   #3
casanovaxpress
Focus Rookie

ok so i found the location of the vacuum hoses. The motor sounds strong. Bad part is i have a oil leak from the front left as your looking at the front of the motor. I used the torque specs in the chiltons manual 37 and 1/2 turn and again 1/2 turn. I did pull off the valve cover and turned them all about another half a turn but still have that stupid leak. Its abou 1/2in from the corner of the head behind the power steering pump. I am guessing the right thing to do is take the head back off and replace the gasket. But what do you think of a few more turns on the head bolts..
Old 04-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #4
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 3,212, Level 35
Points: 3,212, Level: 35 Points: 3,212, Level: 35 Points: 3,212, Level: 35
Level Up 8% Completed
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Forum Activity 60%
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%
FF Reputation: 25 amc49 Great Standing Member
Did you use new head bolts? Can't use the old ones over. They are one time use parts, overtightening like you just did won't fly there. The bolts are intended to be at the internal pulling apart point at the normal final tightening. Overtightening past that pretty much guarantees a gasket fail. That is the reason why the final number is in turns instead of the oldschool footpounds or newton meters. Torque can't be measured since the bolt is beginning to yield or fail inside. The bolts are called TTY, or 'torque to yield', good joke, eh?
Old 04-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #5
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Points 3,212, Level 35
Level Up 8% Completed
Forum Activity 60%
Did you use new head bolts? Can't use the old ones over. They are one time use parts, overtightening like you just did won't fly there. The bolts are intended to be at the internal pulling apart point at the normal final tightening. Overtightening past that pretty much guarantees a gasket fail since you fail the bolt even more. That is the reason why the final number is in turns instead of the oldschool footpounds or newton meters. Torque can't be measured since the bolt is beginning to yield or fail inside. The bolts are called TTY, or 'torque to yield', good joke, eh?
Old 04-03-2012, 08:48 PM   #6
casanovaxpress
Focus Rookie

Well I ordered a new head gasket and bolts. and get back to it this weekend. I was just hoping to be done with it already.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:22 PM   #7
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Points 3,212, Level 35
Level Up 8% Completed
Forum Activity 60%
No ifs, ands, or buts, make sure surfaces are dead clean and dry as a bone. I use alcohol as a last clean, any oil film there at all and potential leak.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:39 PM   #8
casanovaxpress
Focus Rookie

Well I just finished up with the car. I found the leak it was from the CAM SHAFT Seal... I put a new one in and it stopped the leak. However, I have drove the car around and there were a few drops on the ground afterwords. I looked around the motor as much as possible to find the leak but still no joy. I purchased some engine degreaser to clean the engine up. I am hoping the oil is just left over from the first leak and a good cleaning will let me know that. I am pretty disappointed in this car. I hate putting money into it. :( It needs a new motor mount any suggestion on where to get one?

Thank you for you advice and help so far!!!
Old 11-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #9
PuntaGorda
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105933
What I Drive: 2001, Maroon, SE

FF Reputation: 1 PuntaGorda Good Standing Member
I'm rebuilding a SOHC 2.0 SPI and have less than complete faith in the specifications provided by our trusty friends at Fel-Pro. Could I get a few second opinions on the torque specifications and end sequence for the Head Bolts? I currently have them all at 44 ft/lbs and will hold sequence until a consensus of the SPI gods has been made. Thank you.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.