Air Box MOD... - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace



Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 07:50 AM   #11
electricbeach
Focus Enthusiast
 
electricbeach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Fan#: 113132
Location: Milford, MA
What I Drive: 2012 blue focus SE 5-speed

Posts: 68
FF Reputation: 1 electricbeach Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Sorry for bringing up an old thread.

How much louder is the intake with this set up? Is cutting the air box lid necessary if you don't use the stock filter for a support?
electricbeach is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #12
Brabs_Weather
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Fan#: 93741
Location: Chesapeake, VA
What I Drive: 04 Ex Ltd, 08 Edge Ltd, 12 FF Ti

Posts: 387
FF Reputation: 2 Brabs_Weather Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricbeach View Post
Sorry for bringing up an old thread.

How much louder is the intake with this set up? Is cutting the air box lid necessary if you don't use the stock filter for a support?
Very little change.
__________________
White Platinum Tricoat Metallic
2012 Ford Focus Titanium
Handling Package Nitto Motivo's
Borla Exhaust with UltraQuiet resonator
K&N X-4870. Steeda RSB
Brabs_Weather is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:47 PM   #13
electricbeach
Focus Enthusiast
 
electricbeach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Fan#: 113132
Location: Milford, MA
What I Drive: 2012 blue focus SE 5-speed

Posts: 68
FF Reputation: 1 electricbeach Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Thanks for the response.

I have just ordered the same filter and hope to have it in this weekend. I will update this thread with pics and updates of my install for others to see and learn from.
electricbeach is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #14
Brabs_Weather
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Fan#: 93741
Location: Chesapeake, VA
What I Drive: 04 Ex Ltd, 08 Edge Ltd, 12 FF Ti

Posts: 387
FF Reputation: 2 Brabs_Weather Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricbeach View Post
Thanks for the response.

I have just ordered the same filter and hope to have it in this weekend. I will update this thread with pics and updates of my install for others to see and learn from.
It is not hard to do. the hardest part is the support ring and trimming the end of the airbox. directions are in the post.
__________________
White Platinum Tricoat Metallic
2012 Ford Focus Titanium
Handling Package Nitto Motivo's
Borla Exhaust with UltraQuiet resonator
K&N X-4870. Steeda RSB
Brabs_Weather is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #15
electricbeach
Focus Enthusiast
 
electricbeach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Fan#: 113132
Location: Milford, MA
What I Drive: 2012 blue focus SE 5-speed

Posts: 68
FF Reputation: 1 electricbeach Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Yep, your directions are helpful. Just not too clear on why trimming is necessary because on the k&n website it lists this filer as having a slightly smaller end to it than the stock one. I would imagine it would just stick out of the side of the air box. Or does the addition of the support ring to take up the slop make the air box trimming necessary?
electricbeach is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:43 PM   #16
Brabs_Weather
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Fan#: 93741
Location: Chesapeake, VA
What I Drive: 04 Ex Ltd, 08 Edge Ltd, 12 FF Ti

Posts: 387
FF Reputation: 2 Brabs_Weather Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricbeach View Post
Yep, your directions are helpful. Just not too clear on why trimming is necessary because on the k&n website it lists this filer as having a slightly smaller end to it than the stock one. I would imagine it would just stick out of the side of the air box. Or does the addition of the support ring to take up the slop make the air box trimming necessary?
I never tried to let it just sit in the hole.
__________________
White Platinum Tricoat Metallic
2012 Ford Focus Titanium
Handling Package Nitto Motivo's
Borla Exhaust with UltraQuiet resonator
K&N X-4870. Steeda RSB
Brabs_Weather is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:10 PM   #17
electricbeach
Focus Enthusiast
 
electricbeach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Fan#: 113132
Location: Milford, MA
What I Drive: 2012 blue focus SE 5-speed

Posts: 68
FF Reputation: 1 electricbeach Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
So I got the filter and tried playing with it today. I cut the intake neck of the filter about 1/2 inch to make the filter short enough to fit in the stock filter box, which it will. The only problem I have is that the filter will not connect to the air flow meter because the filter is the same size and when it slides on, it slides right off. The MAF is also very short, making it harder to mount.

I am trying to figure out some custom couplers I can use to make this work, hopefully I can come up with something in the next week or so.
electricbeach is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #18
Brabs_Weather
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Fan#: 93741
Location: Chesapeake, VA
What I Drive: 04 Ex Ltd, 08 Edge Ltd, 12 FF Ti

Posts: 387
FF Reputation: 2 Brabs_Weather Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricbeach View Post
So I got the filter and tried playing with it today. I cut the intake neck of the filter about 1/2 inch to make the filter short enough to fit in the stock filter box, which it will. The only problem I have is that the filter will not connect to the air flow meter because the filter is the same size and when it slides on, it slides right off. The MAF is also very short, making it harder to mount.

I am trying to figure out some custom couplers I can use to make this work, hopefully I can come up with something in the next week or so.
I slid mine right over the piece of the MAF in the AirBox. Do you have enough on the airfilter neck to use the clamp. It should have 1.5 inches left. I cut 1/2 from the lid where the old filter would sit.
__________________
White Platinum Tricoat Metallic
2012 Ford Focus Titanium
Handling Package Nitto Motivo's
Borla Exhaust with UltraQuiet resonator
K&N X-4870. Steeda RSB
Brabs_Weather is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:42 PM   #19
electricbeach
Focus Enthusiast
 
electricbeach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Fan#: 113132
Location: Milford, MA
What I Drive: 2012 blue focus SE 5-speed

Posts: 68
FF Reputation: 1 electricbeach Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I can use a clamp on the k&n still. I wonder if it slides off because its all oily. Will have to clean off the inside of the k&n filter neck tomm and try again.

If not I'm thinking of getting a short 2.75" tube and using that as a connector of some sorts. We shall see.
electricbeach is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:06 AM   #20
electricbeach
Focus Enthusiast
 
electricbeach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Fan#: 113132
Location: Milford, MA
What I Drive: 2012 blue focus SE 5-speed

Posts: 68
FF Reputation: 1 electricbeach Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Just tried playing with it again, no go. Oh well, will try to make something with this filter some other time. Just will not stay on the MAF.
electricbeach is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:09 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.