2012 se shifting issue - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-11-2013, 07:16 PM   #1
idrummerboy13
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115666
What I Drive: 2012 ford focus

FF Reputation: 1 idrummerboy13 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2012 se shifting issue

Hey guys I am new here and wasnt sure were to post my shifting issues but I hope this is the right place.

I just got a 2012 focus hatch se model and when I feather the throttle lightly, my car seems to shake back and forth violently as if i nailed the gas and shifting higher into the gears always results in an ugly shake also. It has around 14000 miles on it...hopefully it can be fixed with software. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2013, 07:47 AM   #2
Seminoles
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98405
What I Drive: 2012 SGM SE Sedan

Points 944, Level 16
Points: 944, Level: 16 Points: 944, Level: 16 Points: 944, Level: 16
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Seminoles Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrummerboy13 View Post
Hey guys I am new here and wasnt sure were to post my shifting issues but I hope this is the right place.

I just got a 2012 focus hatch se model and when I feather the throttle lightly, my car seems to shake back and forth violently as if i nailed the gas and shifting higher into the gears always results in an ugly shake also. It has around 14000 miles on it...hopefully it can be fixed with software. Thanks!
Take it in on shake between gears have them look for oil leak at rear main area clutch could be oil soaked this happened to mine told then it would slip going into 4th and 6th sounded like the T-mobile commercial where the sexy girl speed shifts her bike. Took 25,000 miles before the fixed it complained every oil change now it's like new. The feathering the throttle is a no no think of the brake peddle as a clutch peddle when on clutch is off when off clutch is on to slow a start or slow speed = shutter like lugging a standard trans.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:20 PM   #3
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Points 23,345, Level 93
Points: 23,345, Level: 93 Points: 23,345, Level: 93 Points: 23,345, Level: 93
Level Up 99% Completed
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Forum Activity 26%
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Moved to MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive.

And like Seminoles said, feathering the throttle doesn't work well with the DCT in low speed situations.
2014 FiST-
Old 06-13-2013, 09:23 PM   #4
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

Points 7,259, Level 56
Points: 7,259, Level: 56 Points: 7,259, Level: 56 Points: 7,259, Level: 56
Level Up 55% Completed
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 11 Joeywhat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Stop feathering the throttle.
Hatch Nation #29
Old 06-21-2013, 06:34 PM   #5
spektrum2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109690
What I Drive: 2012 oxford White Hatch SE Sport

FF Reputation: 1 spektrum2 Good Standing Member
Quote:

I agree with the feathering advice,this car likes decisive inputs.

On the topic of software for what its worth I just had TSB 13-04-05 performed and all I can say is WOW! its like a totally new car.The DCT problems seem to all over the map,all the popular issues I had were in sport auto mode only with the exception of the 1st to 2nd gear shift in drive mode which was happening way to quick and resulted in a minor jerk and then lugging a bit untill it got to the right speed for that gear.I can now launch at any amount of throttle and its smooth and seemless,and when I punch it it reacts instantly.Also on the feathering of the throttle I'm finding its more forgiving about it now which is a big bonus in city traffic.Hope this helps.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:39 PM   #6
idrummerboy13
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115666
What I Drive: 2012 ford focus

FF Reputation: 1 idrummerboy13 Good Standing Member
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by spektrum2 View Post
I agree with the feathering advice,this car likes decisive inputs.

On the topic of software for what its worth I just had TSB 13-04-05 performed and all I can say is WOW! its like a totally new car.The DCT problems seem to all over the map,all the popular issues I had were in sport auto mode only with the exception of the 1st to 2nd gear shift in drive mode which was happening way to quick and resulted in a minor jerk and then lugging a bit untill it got to the right speed for that gear.I can now launch at any amount of throttle and its smooth and seemless,and when I punch it it reacts instantly.Also on the feathering of the throttle I'm finding its more forgiving about it now which is a big bonus in city traffic.Hope this helps.
thank you sir. The tip helped but I will be making an appointment with ford to look at it. I recently drove a golf tdi and man i wish the pedal was like that, nice and linear and has much more feel, sometimes when im crusing around 40 and need some more, the pedal seems to be gone and almost unresponsive. Hopefully it helps
Old 06-25-2013, 10:39 PM   #7
VanceVEP72
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115153
What I Drive: 2013 Oxford White 5-Dr Hatchback SE

FF Reputation: 1 VanceVEP72 Good Standing Member
They must've changed the programming on the DCT for '13 Job 2s. Mine ONLY likes to be feathered. Give it more than that in first gear and it shudders and slips all the way to 2nd gear. Once past 1st, you can punch the accelerator all you want.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #8
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,106, Level 34
Points: 3,106, Level: 34 Points: 3,106, Level: 34 Points: 3,106, Level: 34
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 23%
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
...The tip helped but I will be making an appointment with ford to look at it...
Hi idrummerboy13,

This is a great next step. Additionally, I can do some research and see how to help as well. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll do the rest!

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 06-26-2013, 09:03 AM   #9
OhFFS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114209
What I Drive: 2013 Ingot Silver Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 OhFFS Good Standing Member
I have a Job 2 2013 as well, though built in late March. It's been in once for TSB 13-4-18.

In my experience (500+ miles each on three rental 2013s, plus 2.5k on my own), DCTs end up "adapting" themselves into two different modes:

1) "Teh stoopids" - caused by driving too conservatively or spending a lot of time in stop-and-go traffic. Gearbox upshifts way too soon from 1-2 and 2-3. Refuses to downshift from 3-2 even when the throttle is mashed. Lack of power. Unresponsive throttle. Feels like it's in two gears at once. Infuriating unless you have all day to get where you're going and there isn't some douchebag in a truck three inches from your back bumper. Probably caused by letting off the throttle while upshifting. Unavoidable in bumper-to-bumper traffic jams or huge mall parking lots.

2) "ADHD" - throttle is super-sensitive for the first few degrees of travel. Very hard to drive smoothly in the low gears. Launches often end up too aggressive and hurt mileage. Transmission seems to pick the wrong low gear when accelerating from a rolling start. Seems to crunch more on upshifts. Plenty of power. Requires excellent right foot precision and concentration to drive smoothly at all. I've gotten into this mode by doing some semi-aggressive starts and avoiding throttle lifts like the plague.

When DCT works well, I really like it. The shifts are super fast, and I enjoy driving the car a lot. If #2 had a more progressive throttle response, I think it would be ideal. It just requires more concentration than it should.

For a while, I kicked myself for not getting the SelectShift. All I've got is the hill descent control button. But after driving a couple of rentals with SelectShift, it's too slow to respond and too often gets overridden by the computer, so I really haven't lost much.

I wish I'd gotten the manual gearbox.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:22 PM   #10
spektrum2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109690
What I Drive: 2012 oxford White Hatch SE Sport

FF Reputation: 1 spektrum2 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhFFS View Post

For a while, I kicked myself for not getting the SelectShift. All I've got is the hill descent control button. But after driving a couple of rentals with SelectShift, it's too slow to respond and too often gets overridden by the computer, so I really haven't lost much.

I wish I'd gotten the manual gearbox.
Yes the delay is annoying for sure when you want to punch it outta the hole.The 1st 2 gears are so close together its almost a double click then you can wind it out through the rest of them as long as you shift about 500 rpm sooner then would in a real manual from a timing point of a view.It was hard to get used to after years of mauals but I enjoy having the option to stretch the ole rods a bit when those "made for a manual"roads come along.

As for TSB 13-04-05 on mine it cured(fingers crossed) the finicky launch through 1st and 2nd in regular drive mode.If I really hammer it it hits 2nd a bit to hard but otherwise no more jerks going into 2nd in normal to semi aggressive driving on my car at least.Im happy with it if nothing changes.

Bookmarks & Social Networks