Parking Sensor False Alarms - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-30-2012, 10:00 AM   #11
euro_zx5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 29329
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue 5dr Ti

FF Reputation: 1 euro_zx5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
My backup sensors are constantly acting up when in reverse and occasionally when in drive... the dealer refuses to admit any issues and says it never happens when they test it. the car has been in with this mentioned all of four times already. I'm starting to get frustrated as my work schedule only permits so much free time to get this sorted out...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2012, 12:20 PM   #12
dragonpalm
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104183
What I Drive: 2013 White Platinum Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 3 dragonpalm Good Standing Member
Update

This is an update for anyone who has experienced problems with the parking sensors.

As suggested by Crystal and my local Ford rep James, I brought my car to my dealer (Red McCombs Ford in San Antonio) and had them inspect the system.

Day One: After the car was with them for 8 hours, they determined that there was nothing wrong with it. I showed the service adviser a video I recorded on my phone of the sensors beeping in error and he agreed that it wasn't normal. They ran diagnostics on the sensors and the control module and found them to be working normally. Since they couldn't replicate my issue, they released the car and said it was working fine.

Day Two: The very next day, as I drove to work, the sensors beeped a solid tone while I was at a stop light with nothing around me. I immediately brought it back to the dealer and showed a different service adviser the issue as it was still beeping. He agreed it wasn't normal and said they would look at it again. He called me at the end of the day and said the service techs had to call the Ford technical service line for advice on what to do. They needed to keep my car until they figured it out but Ford agreed to pay for a loaner until then.

Day Three: The next day, I was told that the control module may be loose, causing the system to beep in error. They determined that it wasn't the case with my car. By the end of the day, they were still unable to replicate the problem. The adviser suggested that I leave the car with them so they could drive it every day until the problem came up. They had already put 30 miles on the car so I said no. I took my car back and the problem remains unresolved. I was told to bring it in the moment the problem comes up again and they will diagnose it on the spot.

TL;DR After 3 days of scratching their heads, the dealer was unable to replicate my problem so it remains unresolved.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:27 PM   #13
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
A couple days ago I got the solid beep tone when I put the car in reverse. There was nothing that was in the way and I got out to confirm nobody had hit me in the back that could have damaged the sensors. I tried pulling forward then putting it in reverse and every time I did so I got the solid beep. The next day I drove to work and there was no more beeping -- none today as well. It looks like cycling the ignition on/off cleared the error whatever it was...

Brian
Old 10-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #14
dragonpalm
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1956 View Post
A couple days ago I got the solid beep tone when I put the car in reverse. There was nothing that was in the way and I got out to confirm nobody had hit me in the back that could have damaged the sensors. I tried pulling forward then putting it in reverse and every time I did so I got the solid beep. The next day I drove to work and there was no more beeping -- none today as well. It looks like cycling the ignition on/off cleared the error whatever it was...

Brian
Yep. Once you turn the car off, the error beep will go away for several days... For me it always comes back up later, randomly. If it turns on while you're in drive, you can always manually switch off the sensors. Pressing the button will turn them off for the remainder of your drive though.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #15
dragonpalm
Focus Enthusiast

I finally had the time to make a video of it and sent it to Ford technical service.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuruKe0EZ4U

Last edited by dragonpalm; 10-19-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #16
Bolto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101615
What I Drive: 2012 Plat White Ti

FF Reputation: 2 Bolto Good Standing Member
I'll have occasional phantom beeps from my sensors, but nothing major, so I've been happy with mine. Maybe the 2013 models have some kinda bug.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:06 AM   #17
dragonpalm
Focus Enthusiast

Sensor Problem Unresolved

Since there's more 2013 owners out there now, I thought I'd bring back this issue I've had with my parking sensors beeping in error. It has now been 6 months since I bought the car and the issue remains unresolved after several dealer visits.

My issue: Sometimes the parking sensors emit a solid beep tone when nothing is near it.

My car is a 2013 with the parking assist package. I have never used the auto parallel parking feature but I fear when I do, it will fail because the sensors are bipolar.

Has anyone else experienced this or have any suggestions?
Old 04-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #18
GhiaFan
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 50498
What I Drive: 2007 Panther Black Focus 1.6 Ti-VCT

FF Reputation: 12 GhiaFan Great Standing Member
Man it is brutal the weird issues that the North American Focus is having with some of the technical features.
Sometimes I think there is some kind of hocus pocus built into the MAP built Focus. Ghosts and gremlins of all sorts and para-normal weirdness.
I do not understand why Ford does not act proactively and want to figure out what causes some of these IMO very odd faults.
All they have to do is replace the sensors and take the faulty units in house and try and figure out why this is happening.
Instead of making owners continue living with a less then normal driving experience.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #19
JasDmw
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105501
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Ti Hatch Sterling Grey

FF Reputation: 1 JasDmw Good Standing Member
I've expereinced this as well and now that I see others are, will watch more for the situation. Thought at first it was somethin gto do with Sirius as that's pretty much all I listen too. Agree it's totally random and may actually not be a fault, but triggered by some other "sensed" thing near the sensors.

Unlike others here, I really like the sensors. Only used park assist twice to see how it works, but the sensors triggering whenever I enter/leave my garage or when parking; I think that is awesome! Certainly not a nuisance and for me, a really great feature IMO. The times I used park assist, almost took over control as thefront end of the car was sooo much closer to the car in front when it was backing up that I thought for sure it would hit. Of course it didn't, but shows how we misjudge the space we have.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:34 PM   #20
dragonpalm
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasDmw View Post
Unlike others here, I really like the sensors. Only used park assist twice to see how it works, but the sensors triggering whenever I enter/leave my garage or when parking; I think that is awesome! Certainly not a nuisance and for me, a really great feature IMO. The times I used park assist, almost took over control as thefront end of the car was sooo much closer to the car in front when it was backing up that I thought for sure it would hit. Of course it didn't, but shows how we misjudge the space we have.
I agree, the parking assist feature is nice. I've only used it once at the dealer when the salesman taught me how to do it but I agree, it does get really close to the other car. I love the fact that the bumper sensors will warn you if an object or car is too close but when I'm at a stop light by myself and the sensors suddenly start blaring a solid beep, it's strange and upsetting. I have to turn off the sensors which defeats the purpose of having them.

Last edited by dragonpalm; 04-10-2013 at 01:51 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks