Rough Idle and Manual Transmission Noise - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-06-2011, 08:44 AM   #1
trombo
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 86680
What I Drive: 2012 OW SE hatch

FF Reputation: 1 trombo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Rough Idle and Manual Transmission Noise

Two things:

Has anyone else experienced a rough idle? I'm only at 2xx miles, but I can't believe how rough the idle has become. Way, way too much vibration being transmitted throughout the car. A few months ago some others commented on this, but I was curious to get some new feedback. Has it improved with rolling some miles and a little more break-in?

Secondly, has anyone with the manual trans noticed a slight transmission rattle at idle? With the trans in neutral and clutch out, there's no other way to describe it except for a metallic rattle noise. As soon as the clutch is pressed in the noise goes away. Clutch out, faint tingy rattle. Clutch in, nothing.

blah.

To end on a high note, when moving I really love how the car drives.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2011, 09:41 AM   #2
CrazyDave
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86019
What I Drive: 07 Shelby Mustang GT, 2012 Focus

FF Reputation: 1 CrazyDave Good Standing Member
I've owned Fords, Toyotas, Hondas, Nissans, Mazdas, a Chevy, a VW, a Mitsubishi, even a Mercedes.

All of them made noises some time. Usually they come and go. Sometimes
its related to temperature. Car is too hot, or not warmed up yet.

I've heard some strange noises in my new Focus too. But, they went away.
All of us are over sensitive when we get a new car. But relax, it's under warranty.
If the noise is serious enough, take it in and let Ford figure it out.

In the meantime, turn the stereo up a little, the noise will go away.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:23 AM   #3
silenthill
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85671
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL hatch

FF Reputation: 2 silenthill Good Standing Member
I have a SEL w/ the automatic and my idle is rough sometimes, but I can't figure out any pattern. It can be rough at one red light, and fine at the next.

Just something to add to the list of things to have the dealer check out when it's time for the first oil change.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:30 AM   #4
sterg
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86158
What I Drive: 2012 Focuse SE Kona blue

FF Reputation: 1 sterg Good Standing Member
I've had a few rough idle experiences but then I get them in the Silverado. Tranny noise a few times too. I look at it as normal. Grinding second....I hate that noise
Moonroof
Old 08-06-2011, 01:02 PM   #5
Eurofordfan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87186
What I Drive: 1985 Moto Guzzi T5 850 NT

FF Reputation: 1 Eurofordfan Good Standing Member
That rattle, in neutral, with the clutch pedal out, is called roll-over rattle. It will only happen when the transaxle fluid is hot; it is totally harmless. By comparison, you should hear how rattly a diesel tractor is, with the thirteen or eighteen speed Eaton transmission!

If, by comparison, it makes noise when the clutch pedal is pushed-in, then it may very well be the throwout bearing. That is a cause for concern, 'cause it's so much of a "beach" to get to!

Don't worry about roll-over rattle. And notably do not change transfluid to attempt to quiet it down; trans fluid viscosity is very carefully chosen by the designers, to ensure that lubrication of the needle roller bearings (in the case of the MTX75 transaxle) get lubricated properly! Also, the fluid properties figure big-time into the behavior of the synchronizers.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:34 PM   #6
kingburger
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 86787
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Focus

FF Reputation: 1 kingburger Good Standing Member
Red face

I wouldn't worry about these mechanical noises.

My Miata has made a ticking sound occasionally on startup until the oil pressure comes up. This freaked me out at first, but 16 years later, it doesn't worry me.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:17 PM   #7
CrazyDave
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86019
What I Drive: 07 Shelby Mustang GT, 2012 Focus

FF Reputation: 1 CrazyDave Good Standing Member
I took Focus in for the wiper recall, and asked them to trouble-shoot the transmission rattle issue. Mine rattles in neutral and the clutch out. Like always when stopped waiting for lights to change.

Service guy said he clearly heard the noise. Service tech said he didn't hear anything wrong. Ford had my car for over a week. No fix.

At least the issue is documented in case it turns out to be more serious later.

Still love my 2012 after 12K miles.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:31 AM   #8
skyfocus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 119311
What I Drive: 2014 Silver Focus

FF Reputation: 1 skyfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurofordfan View Post
That rattle, in neutral, with the clutch pedal out, is called roll-over rattle. It will only happen when the transaxle fluid is hot; it is totally harmless. By comparison, you should hear how rattly a diesel tractor is, with the thirteen or eighteen speed Eaton transmission!

If, by comparison, it makes noise when the clutch pedal is pushed-in, then it may very well be the throwout bearing. That is a cause for concern, 'cause it's so much of a "beach" to get to!

Don't worry about roll-over rattle. And notably do not change transfluid to attempt to quiet it down; trans fluid viscosity is very carefully chosen by the designers, to ensure that lubrication of the needle roller bearings (in the case of the MTX75 transaxle) get lubricated properly! Also, the fluid properties figure big-time into the behavior of the synchronizers.
Noticed this tonight in my brand new (350 miles, less than a week old) Focus. Definitely goes away when the clutch is in. I had been driving it pretty hard so the fluid could have been quite hot. It's a very definite rhythmic rattle that only happens in neutral with the clutch out.

Does anybody else's 5 speed Focus do this?
Old 09-28-2013, 08:41 AM   #9
gostinger
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 44867
What I Drive: 2013 SE Black Pack Loaded 5 Spd MTX

FF Reputation: 1 gostinger Good Standing Member
Yes so have I it is annoying. I spoke with a mechanic at my dealer casually and he confirmed all is good. I think too that these housings are so lightweight that makes it so noticeable.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using FF Mobile 4
Old 09-28-2013, 11:14 AM   #10
wavsine
Focus Addict

Fan#: 118470
What I Drive: 2013 Focus SE Oxford White Hatch 5m

FF Reputation: 7 wavsine Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by trombo View Post
Two things:
Has anyone else experienced a rough idle? I'm only at 2xx miles, but I can't believe how rough the idle has become. Way, way too much vibration being transmitted throughout the car. A few months ago some others commented on this, but I was curious to get some new feedback. Has it improved with rolling some miles and a little more break-in?
What grade gasoline are you running? Try some 93 Octane such as Shell V-Power and tell me if the idle smooths out.

Quote:
Secondly, has anyone with the manual trans noticed a slight transmission rattle at idle? With the trans in neutral and clutch out, there's no other way to describe it except for a metallic rattle noise. As soon as the clutch is pressed in the noise goes away. Clutch out, faint tingy rattle. Clutch in, nothing.
That is totally normal. That's the gear lash rattle (some are calling it roll over rattle) (NOT the throwout bearing-my Ford dealership tech must have lost it) and it makes a rattling noise when the clutch pedal is not depressed. While we are on the subject, here's a tip. You should only depress the clutch pedal long enough to engage a gear and take off. You should never sit at lights with the clutch depressed. This is especially important when you start your car. Because of the interlock, you must depress the clutch pedal to start the car but you should start the car in neutral and immediately release the clutch pedal until you are ready to drive off. Holding the clutch pedal down on a cold engine increases wear to the thrust bearing.

Edited to correct source of noise.
Quote:
To end on a high note, when moving I really love how the car drives.
The 5 speed Focus drives and shifts very smoothly. You will absolutely love it.

Synthetic oil in GDI engines
www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324396

Last edited by wavsine; 09-29-2013 at 03:57 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks