bad in snow - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-25-2012, 09:11 PM   #21
just jake
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 103171
What I Drive: 2000 dark green ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 just jake Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
your not smart traction control are for people who cant drive and 4wd sucks ever more in the snow just get snow tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #22
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

Points 17,868, Level 85
Points: 17,868, Level: 85 Points: 17,868, Level: 85 Points: 17,868, Level: 85
Level Up 4% Completed
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Forum Activity 29%
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%
FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by schotime5 View Post
you ppl are funny. most are saying use snow tires cause they are bad in the snow. some of you blaming driver.....lol....i am from midwest and know how to drive in the winter,,,,i dont drive like it is summer.......please respond to the question or dont respond at all. thanks and get a life

No. The Focus is an excellent winter vehicle and gets plenty of traction in all inclimate weather.
So there must be something severely wrong with yours.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:58 AM   #23
#1fordfan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83143
What I Drive: 2005 white se zx4

Points 2,479, Level 30
Points: 2,479, Level: 30 Points: 2,479, Level: 30 Points: 2,479, Level: 30
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 3 #1fordfan Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by just jake View Post
your not smart traction control are for people who cant drive and 4wd sucks ever more in the snow just get snow tires
yeah,two years ago when we got two FEET of snow,my focus wouldn't even move after it started pushing snow with the bumper. Enter my four wheel drive f150 with mud tires. Lots of fun,no worries about getting stuck. i made a lot of money pulling fwd cars out,even though I refused a lot of money. Four wheel drive with the right tires will beat fwd with the right tires every time,except at the gas station!! I have been driving in snow for 25 years,and will always drive my truck if I have the choice. My focus does good in the snow,but I would really rather be in the truck in case somebody runs out of talent and I get wrecked.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:05 AM   #24
5characters
No Mo Fo Fo

Fan#: 78897
What I Drive: 2012 M2 Touring

FF Reputation: 2 5characters Good Standing Member
The stock 17 SES tires will run in most snow, Last year in Missouri we had 30 some inches of snow in some places, there was at least a foot if not more on the streets and I had to go to work. Three miles and the only problem I had was trying to park because a drift was covering the entrance of the lot, but I can say that no traction is lost in the rain and if you drive smart there should be no reason to lose traction in the snow, now ice, nobody has traction on ice regardless of 4x4 or not... unless you are rocking blizzaks.... Here in Ohio dirt roads, hills, and sharp turns snow (and rain) is a witch but again the stock tires will work fine, snow tires are a great investment to have them on a Focus but then starts another debate should you get all four or just two.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:37 AM   #25
wrc_fan
slow

Fan#: 11913
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 Duratec 08 WRX Hatch

Points 3,527, Level 37
Points: 3,527, Level: 37 Points: 3,527, Level: 37 Points: 3,527, Level: 37
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 23 wrc_fan Great Standing Member
You should buy a giant 4x4 so you can run into stuff at a higher rate of speed.

"Hella Functional - Raced, Not Hard Parked"
Old 09-26-2012, 10:21 AM   #26
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

Points 7,282, Level 56
Points: 7,282, Level: 56 Points: 7,282, Level: 56 Points: 7,282, Level: 56
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 23 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
Well if you have traction issues, assuming its not just a terrible alignment or something else wrong with your car, tires will be your best bet. Generally, the focus is a well handling and predictable car.

You can get a good set of all season tires that do ok in the snow, something like Continental DWS (stands for dry wet snow) It gets great reviews and is probably one of the better all season tires. It will obviously not do as well in snow as a dedicated snow tire but will be better than most all season tires.

What a lot of us do is pick up a second set of wheels for the winter. An old set of stock wheels work great for winter duty and can be found for pretty cheap. 15 or 16" tires are pretty affordable compared to larger sizes. It's much easier to swap wheels than it is to keep swapping tires. Your tires will also last longer if you are alternating between summer/winter.

Most of us are performance oriented, we want great grip in the summer, which usually means summer only tires but those do terrible at any sign of snow. Hence, the second set of wheels and snow tires. What are you willing to comprise with?
Old 09-26-2012, 07:09 PM   #27
Tymes
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94124
What I Drive: 02 SE SOHC SPI

FF Reputation: 8 Tymes Good Standing Member
Ok since this thread is going all over the place, how about we get some more info. like when you say traction are you talking front end or rear (both issues would be traction but with different reasons). also what kind of tires are you running? Manufactures vary for quality, and just because a tire has a big brand name doesn't mean a particular model is good.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:36 PM   #28
Justboughtafocus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 143193
What I Drive: 2011 green ford focus se

FF Reputation: 1 Justboughtafocus Good Standing Member
Googled "focus sucks in snow" came here.

Just picked up the car today. It slid into a snow bank in my driveway sideways. Had to call AAA to get me out. The tow guy was able to get it a foot into my driveway so at least it was out of the road so the plows wont clip it. It feels like driving a tinker toy its so light. Im regretting my purchase after 6 hours. Putting blissex snow tires on tomorrow. I will post how it drives then
Old 02-19-2014, 07:17 PM   #29
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 8,955, Level 63
Points: 8,955, Level: 63 Points: 8,955, Level: 63 Points: 8,955, Level: 63
Level Up 69% Completed
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 69 sailor Excellent Standing Member
I checked out the rest of this thread to see what the original story was. Turns out the OP was driving on tires he stated were worn enough to need replacement. That explains HIS issues in rain & snow - not much tread left.

Heard you just got some deep wet snow there, that stuff is the worst to try to get traction in. When it's like that you float on top and any wheel spin turns it to instant ice, tough to deal with.

Snows will help, nothing is great in those conditions. Even when driving an 18 Wheeler, heavy wet snow is bad - can slip/get stuck easily - so from my experience no amount of weight makes driving in that stuff easy.

Getting stuck the first day with the new car had to be a real "bummer", better luck tomorrow!

S.R. #275
Old 02-20-2014, 09:16 AM   #30
Snyper
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96688
What I Drive: 2009 Black SE

Points 1,322, Level 20
Points: 1,322, Level: 20 Points: 1,322, Level: 20 Points: 1,322, Level: 20
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 2 Snyper Good Standing Member
I've never had a problem getting around in snow with my Focus. However, getting up my driveway is ALWAYS a problem, but hey.. it's like a 50 degree incline for 600 feet and it dips down at the bottom, so I need to go slow so that I don't scrap.

Bookmarks & Social Networks