Having some issues, hoping for help. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-26-2012, 01:32 AM   #1
04ZTSJelf
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100701
What I Drive: 04 2.3 Sedan

Points 1,301, Level 20
Points: 1,301, Level: 20 Points: 1,301, Level: 20 Points: 1,301, Level: 20
Level Up 1% Completed
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 1 04ZTSJelf Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Having some issues, hoping for help.

Well, I got an 04 Focus ZTS about 3 months ago, and it was great for a while, but now I have some issues and i'm hoping someone can help. It usually starts, but is hesitant. I had the battery and alternator tested and both are good (alternator was replaced right before I purchased). Took it to a local shop that I trust, that my family has used before. They couldn't find anything wrong after looking everything over, but they replaced spark plugs, fluids, etc. It didnt help at all. Also, after driving for about 10 minutes and you stop at a light, it something rattles and the car shakes a little (thats annoying more than anything I think).
Info about my car:
-2.3L
-147k miles (yes, yes, I know its high mileage)
-Auto

Any help would be much appreciated, and I can answer any questions to the best of my ability.
Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2012, 01:36 AM   #2
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

Points 129,859, Level 100
Points: 129,859, Level: 100 Points: 129,859, Level: 100 Points: 129,859, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 94%
Activity: 94% Activity: 94% Activity: 94%
FF Reputation: 48 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like your motor mounts perhaps? They are known to go out causing noises and vibrations.

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 09-26-2012, 05:05 AM   #3
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,131, Level 97
Points: 27,131, Level: 97 Points: 27,131, Level: 97 Points: 27,131, Level: 97
Level Up 79% Completed
Level up: 79% Level up: 79% Level up: 79%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
That sounds like motor mount + some exhaust hangers that are probably going out. Motor mounts are a big thing with all old cars, and most people just assume that the engine is running badly. With the Focus, we have 3 mounts. Unfortunately for you, you have a Duratec engine, so you get the more expensive front mount. We have some online sources that can save you some money on parts as compared to a parts store, but the most important thing is that the mounts must be installed correctly. If the motor ends up being out of alignment, the mounts will fail in short order. The reason I keep writing "mounts" instead of mount, is that with your mileage and age, you should probably replace all 3 mounts instead of just one. All parts stores sell Anchor brand motor mounts, and if you look through this site you'll see people recommending that you purchase an Motorcraft front engine mount instead of the Anchor mount. Some people have not had luck with the Anchor mounts, and some have. Using RockAuto.com, and our discount code found in Vendor Deals, Group Buys, and Special Discounts- you can purchase all 3 Anchor mounts cheaper than you can purchase one front mount from the parts store. Put in your car's info, and look for Motor mount, Transmission mount, and torque-strut mount. Unfortunately, the Motorcraft mount will only be available from a dealer. We have a dealer in WI who works with us for some special pricing, but it's still more expensive than Anchor mounts. Search for Tousley Ford online, call their parts dept, ask for Steve, then mention that you heard about them on Focus Fanatics. If you decide to get all 3 mounts from Steve, the torque-strut mount (also known as lower dogbone mount) will come with a new bracket that the Anchor mount doesn't come with. The brackets rarely crack and break, but it is possible.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:27 AM   #4
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Points 23,825, Level 94
Points: 23,825, Level: 94 Points: 23,825, Level: 94 Points: 23,825, Level: 94
Level Up 48% Completed
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Did you have your fuel filter replaced during the tune up? If not, I would try that and a bottle of Chevron (or others, that's just what I trust) fuel system cleaner.

Sent from my stupid phone.
2014 FiST-
Old 09-26-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
04ZTSJelf
Focus Addict

Points 1,301, Level 20
Level Up 1% Completed
Forum Activity 9%
I dont believe the fuel filter was replaced, and how much are motor mounts after shipping and evrything (with FF discount) as compared to getting them just at a local parts store.... I guess I should have first asked if they could be purchased at a local parts store.

EDIT:Thanks for the welcome, joined a while back, just havnt got to get on here alot.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
04ZTSJelf
Focus Addict

Points 1,301, Level 20
Level Up 1% Completed
Forum Activity 9%
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Did you have your fuel filter replaced during the tune up? If not, I would try that and a bottle of Chevron (or others, that's just what I trust) fuel system cleaner.

Sent from my stupid phone.
I checked, and the fuel filter was replaced, and (I already knew) they put Lucas Oil Fuel System cleaner in. I called them up and they advised I fill my tank and drive around for a while as the cleaner probably hasnt gotten to run through completely yet.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.