Intermittent interior lighting problems + fog light switch questions - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-24-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
tdotfocus12
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 101734
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 tdotfocus12 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Intermittent interior lighting problems + fog light switch questions

Hey everyone,

I recently purchased a 2012 Ford Focus SE. I have a few questions with regards to how Ford deals with intermittent problems during the warranty period. I've been having a problem with the interior light not turning on when I unlock the car using the remote and open the doors- only the footwell lights will come on but not the actual roof lights. This has been happening more often now, and sometimes the light will come on but will not want to turn off even when I'm already driving. I went to Ford twice- but since this is an intermittent problem both times they were not able to replicate it. Any suggestions on how to deal with this? It's becoming very annoying since it's happening more and more often.

The second question I had was with regards to the fog light button. I have the SE model, and when I turn on the fog lights they turn on, and even if I turn off the car and return to it within about 10min they will turn on themselves again. However after longer periods of being away from the car I will have to turn them on again manually. Is this normal? I was recently driving a Lincoln, and although a different car the button was the same in that it wasn't an actual switch like in the Focus and every time I turned on the car the fog lights would come on automatically I wouldn't have to turn them on manually each time.

Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,298, Level 35
Points: 3,298, Level: 35 Points: 3,298, Level: 35 Points: 3,298, Level: 35
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdotfocus12 View Post
Hey everyone,

I recently purchased a 2012 Ford Focus SE. I have a few questions with regards to how Ford deals with intermittent problems during the warranty period. I've been having a problem with the interior light not turning on when I unlock the car using the remote and open the doors- only the footwell lights will come on but not the actual roof lights. This has been happening more often now, and sometimes the light will come on but will not want to turn off even when I'm already driving. I went to Ford twice- but since this is an intermittent problem both times they were not able to replicate it. Any suggestions on how to deal with this? It's becoming very annoying since it's happening more and more often.

The second question I had was with regards to the fog light button. I have the SE model, and when I turn on the fog lights they turn on, and even if I turn off the car and return to it within about 10min they will turn on themselves again. However after longer periods of being away from the car I will have to turn them on again manually. Is this normal? I was recently driving a Lincoln, and although a different car the button was the same in that it wasn't an actual switch like in the Focus and every time I turned on the car the fog lights would come on automatically I wouldn't have to turn them on manually each time.

Thanks in advance.
Hi tdotfocus12,

I'd suggest that you reach out to the fine folks at Ford of Canada and get them involved. They'll work in tandem with your dealer to ensure that your concern is resolved. They can be reached at: 1-800-565-3673.

-Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 09-24-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
Chaddz3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96992
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S Ingot Silver

Points 1,795, Level 24
Points: 1,795, Level: 24 Points: 1,795, Level: 24 Points: 1,795, Level: 24
Level Up 95% Completed
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 17 Chaddz3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdotfocus12 View Post
Hey everyone,

Thanks in advance.
Once my fog lights are turned on, they stay active until I turn the fog light switch off...

However, they also shut off when the key is off, or I turn the headlight switch off...

However, my focus has a modified fog light setup. I have the factory lights and bezels, and most of the factory wiring, however, mine are driven off from a stand alone control module i built myself using a toggle switch mounted near the shifter, not off the Body Control module like the OEM equipped cars are.

The trim level of my Focus never had fog lights available as an option so i had to get creative in making them mimic the factory operation. I have a write-up of my installation on here somewhere.

But in response to your question, the OEM installed fog lamps operate exactly as you describe, which would drive me crazy..
Old 09-24-2012, 08:55 PM   #4
blank102
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96549
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SE HB

Points 2,623, Level 31
Points: 2,623, Level: 31 Points: 2,623, Level: 31 Points: 2,623, Level: 31
Level Up 16% Completed
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 blank102 Good Standing Member
Use the interior buttons on the drivers side overhead lights.
They will adjust the system.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:24 PM   #5
tdotfocus12
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 101734
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 tdotfocus12 Good Standing Member
Thanks for the replies. I've tried to contact Ford Canada before- with regards to the fact that I've had my car for over 2 months now and the dealer has been majorly slacking on getting me my second car key, I only received 1 when I bought the car apparently they lost the other one. Ford Canada told me I have to deal with the dealer, they couldn't do anything for me.

What do you mean by "Use the interior buttons on the drivers side overhead lights."?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.