Rotor Upgrade Questions - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
DarderSauce
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95564
What I Drive: '08 Vermillion Red 5 speed SEdan

FF Reputation: 5 DarderSauce Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Cool Rotor Upgrade Questions

Hello All!

Well I finally got everything I needed to upgrade my rear drum breaks to disk breaks. Well almost everything, I told the seller I did not want the rear rotors because they looked to be rather rusty and I wasn't sure if there was any warping so I figured I would just get a new set, plus the parts were cheaper to ship w/out them. The break lines were also not included.

The only problem I am having now is trying to figure out which rotors/lines I should purchase

Wondering if anyone can recommend a solid set of rotors that would work for a long time in bad MN winters with lots of salt. I would like to get rotors that have the center (hub) painted black because in my experience removing a set that is rusted on can be a PITA (see -->) and that's supposed to help prevent rust

Rotors by DarderSauce, on Flickr

Also not really looking for drilled/slotted for the following reasons:
1. I think they are more likely to crack (may be wrong)
2. most of them (excluding the very expensive) are not cast like that, instead they are machined afterwards
3. I have solid rotors on the front so drilled/slotted on just the rear would look dumb (IMHO).

I know I need to get new break lines that are a bit longer but don't want to have to go through the hassle of having them made. I want to make sure I get a set that has all the correct fittings on both ends so I don't have to do any modifications to get them to work. If you could recommend a set of lines as well I would appreciate it. Remember..... links on where each can be purchased are GGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEAT!!

I apologize for starting a new thread about this as I am sure the information is out there but asking a quick question will save me time in searching so I appreciate all responses, especially since I am sure the answers to these questions will be repeats. Thanks so much fellas!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #2
jasonbi
Focus Addict

Fan#: 13305
What I Drive: 2002 SVT

Points 4,467, Level 42
Points: 4,467, Level: 42 Points: 4,467, Level: 42 Points: 4,467, Level: 42
Level Up 59% Completed
Level up: 59% Level up: 59% Level up: 59%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 3 jasonbi Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
napa premium if you looking for a good set for not a lot of $$$.....been using them for the last maybe 25,000km with no issues...i painted the hats black when i got them and covered the hub and behind the rotor with anti-seize. i also live in a snowy/salty/sh** ty climate so rust is an issue for me as well!!
#3286 OF 4788
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2012, 05:22 PM   #3
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
Centric is the most popular manufacturer of coated rotor (hats and edges). Just remember these are E-coated which is not as durable as powder coating or paint. It will eventually fade, wear, and rust like any other rotor. But they are, nevertheless, a well made rotor for the price. Other good (non coated) solid rotors include Brembo and the mentioned NAPA premiums.

You are justified in not wanting slotted or especially drilled rotors. Slotted rotors have a place on the track but that's about it. The drilled rotors you see on an occasional Porsche, Benz, etc. bear little resemblance to the ones commonly sold online. Their primary function is to minimize water vapor forming under the huge calipers those cars often have. They have small "cast" in holes that are chamfered and are made of premium (high carbon content) metals. They will still spider web (structural heat induced cracks) and can cost a small fortune to replace. Both drilled and or slotted rotors will also accelerate pad wear. The primary function of a slotted rotor is to scape the rotor surface of any glazing that might occur from overheating. The easiest way to solve this problem is to use a pad with friction material of the proper heat range for the intended use.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
bringler26
FUBARCUS

Fan#: 59705
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 & 07 Impreza 2.5i

Points 9,334, Level 64
Points: 9,334, Level: 64 Points: 9,334, Level: 64 Points: 9,334, Level: 64
Level Up 95% Completed
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 29 bringler26 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I have centric blank rotors on my impreza and with hawk pads and it stops better than just about anything I have ever driven. It had the oem brakes on it before hand(58k miles) and the change was amazingly pleasing. Stops fast resists heat well and has thus far held up amazingly to my abusive driving. I have yet to cause the brakes to fade due to heat.
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
I always moderate naked!
Old 07-17-2012, 11:02 PM   #5
DarderSauce
Focus Addict

Alright so since all ford foci from 01-11 have the same bolt pattern (4x108 IIRC) all I have to say is I want rear rotors for a ford focus correct? I know it is a dumb question but I would rather sound dumb on the internet than when I am face to face with someone.

Sorry but I have a feeling if I try explaining my brake setup they will look at me like I am a tard/say you can't do that.

Any way, sorry for the noob questions.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:13 PM   #6
bringler26
FUBARCUS

Fan#: 59705
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 & 07 Impreza 2.5i

Points 9,334, Level 64
Points: 9,334, Level: 64 Points: 9,334, Level: 64 Points: 9,334, Level: 64
Level Up 95% Completed
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 29 bringler26 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
where are you ordering from?
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
I always moderate naked!
Old 07-18-2012, 08:24 AM   #7
DarderSauce
Focus Addict

I figured I would just go grab a set of premo's from Napa. Now all I need to get are the break lines.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:41 AM   #8
freemind
Vince your Moderator

Fan#: 67513
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 and a 2010 Focus SE (Work)

Points 6,351, Level 52
Points: 6,351, Level: 52 Points: 6,351, Level: 52 Points: 6,351, Level: 52
Level Up 1% Completed
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Forum Activity 40%
Activity: 40% Activity: 40% Activity: 40%
FF Reputation: 24 freemind Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
Stainless lines are a great upgrade.

Hatch Nation #140
Caeci caecos ducentes
Old 07-18-2012, 10:22 AM   #9
badazz2010focus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 78166
What I Drive: 2010 ingot silver 2 dr 5 speed

Points 18,613, Level 86
Points: 18,613, Level: 86 Points: 18,613, Level: 86 Points: 18,613, Level: 86
Level Up 53% Completed
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 7 badazz2010focus Good Standing Member
Anyone know who naoes stainless for the front?
Old 07-18-2012, 11:43 AM   #10
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarderSauce View Post
Alright so since all ford foci from 01-11 have the same bolt pattern (4x108 IIRC) all I have to say is I want rear rotors for a ford focus correct? I know it is a dumb question but I would rather sound dumb on the internet than when I am face to face with someone.

Sorry but I have a feeling if I try explaining my brake setup they will look at me like I am a tard/say you can't do that.

Any way, sorry for the noob questions.
I'd simply tell them you want SVT rotors for the rear (or whatever model you got them from) and front rotors for the particular year and model Focus you have. It need not be anymore difficult than that. If they give you a dumb look simply tell them you upgraded the rear from drums to discs using available stock parts from another model Focus.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.