SYNC Update Available on Focus!!! - Page 40 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-28-2012, 09:43 AM   #391
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
OK, I installed the update (3.2.2) a few days ago and just as with 3.0.2 I have no major issues.

1. My phone pairs reliably

2. I have a 32GB thumbdrive with 16GB of music and it plays as it should -- Sirius and AM/FM works to (haven't tried BT yet)

3. Navigation works including download via Destinations

4. Climate works via manual controls, touch screen or voice

Why the difference?

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #392
csvt2060
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84122
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 csvt2060 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by copernicium112 View Post
Yeah, this completely baffles me. I've seen Jaclyn respond to other threads since this all started but she is apparently avoiding this thread like the plague. When they had to remove the first update from SMR they made an announcement with regard to the fact. At least that was some form of acknowledgement of an issue. This update just quietly disappeared followed by absolute silence.
This is what makes the whole MFT debacle even worse....they hide and tighten up so there are no answers and people get even more upset.

Apple just came out and admitted to their mistake on their maps program in the new iOS. In this case, a large company admits fault, takes the blame for their actions, gives alternative means to get by until they can resolve the issue.

Ford: Releases and update, recends the update, releases the same update, recends the update. People have broken their system from the update. No word what happened to the update. You can't get any answers from Ford customer service, than if you do they say "take it to your dealer" or do a "master reset" and we all know the story after that. Put those poor people out of their misery and man up Ford!
Old 09-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #393
lewisra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93289
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL

FF Reputation: 3 lewisra Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1956 View Post
OK, I installed the update (3.2.2) a few days ago and just as with 3.0.2 I have no major issues.

Why the difference?

Brian

You don't have an iPhone, don't use BT, your USB doesn't have folders or playlists, the manner in which you use Nav was fixed with 3.2.2, and your build date and/or your APIM/BCM was replaced in 2012.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #394
treoless
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96715
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 treoless Good Standing Member
Took my car to the dealership yesterday and they couldn't re-flash the software after 6 tries. They were told by Ford that the update on SMR was corrupted. They finally fixed it by taking the MFT unit (APIM?) out and forced the update.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #395
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
I know what I'm doing tomorrow....
Old 09-28-2012, 10:18 AM   #396
lewisra
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by treoless View Post
Took my car to the dealership yesterday and they couldn't re-flash the software after 6 tries. They were told by Ford that the update on SMR was corrupted. They finally fixed it by taking the MFT unit (APIM?) out and forced the update.
Camera working now?
Old 09-28-2012, 10:26 AM   #397
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisra View Post
You don't have an iPhone, don't use BT, your USB doesn't have folders or playlists, the manner in which you use Nav was fixed with 3.2.2, and your build date and/or your APIM/BCM was replaced in 2012.
I do have an iPhone (iP4) but I have not attempted to pair it -- yet. I do have a SGNexus and it is paired.

I tried BT with 3.0.2 and it worked but have not tried it -- yet, with 3.2.2.

My USB DOES have folders but no playlists.

My build date (see sig) is 2012 but all that means is the APIM and BCM are newer than those that bought cars built earlier -- what differences are there in the hardware (APIM/BCM) between earlier and later builds?

Brian
Old 09-28-2012, 11:56 AM   #398
paul21
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87707
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 0 paul21 Newbie
I will try to provide some insight into the issue, complete speculation.

A typical CAN communicates like this, values not exact:
<Module Address 8 bits>+<Control 8 bits>+<Payload/Data 32bits>

The control will be read/write, CRC values, etc.
The module address will be a number assigned to each part (APIM, BCM, etc) on the network, similar to a static IP.

The payload is then broken into two parts:
<Register Address 16bits>+<Data Value 16bits>

The register address is a number that indexes which values to read/write from. Some examples would be:
0x00 Module Version/Info
0x01 Module Status
0x10 HVAC Status
0x11 Driver Temp

These register addresses are defined by each module maker and typically change from vendor to vendor with exception being 0x00 for version. So what you may have is
0x00 = 1 (Version)
0x10 = (Hvac status)
0x11 = (Driver Temp)

or

0x00 = 2 (version
0x30 = (HVAC status)
0x40 = (Driver Temp)

so that the address for the HVAC changes between APIMs.

It's completely arbitrary after the version info. So what a programmer for MFT would do is something like this:
if (readData(Version) == 1)
HVAC_STATUS=0x10;
else if (readData(Version) == 2)
HVAC_STATUS=0x30;

to select between versions. Then whenever the climate control section is used, it just uses getData(HVAC_STATUS) and that maps into the right register.

So whenever BSQUARE is responsible for "system integration", they read the data specs for each APIM and determine what version maps with what register address for the HVAC, etc. It's my opinion that they omitted the versions that are specific to the Focus in their latest build.

What's actually more likely is that instead of programming modular code, they just statically define each address when they use it, ie getData(0x10) for hvac and then they have to compiled a different set of code for each car (bad practice).

What seems somewhat obvious to me is that the earlier versions of MFT did something like this:
1: Read some data from the CAN
2: Wait until the full data is received

Then there would be an error in communication and it would be stuck at step 2, waiting for data it would never receive, until the system was reset instead of detecting and correcting the error. This aligns with most sporadic behaviors in these systems. With poor hardware design, the communication system will have glitches from time to time and it's important to design error correction into the modules.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:22 PM   #399
lewisra
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1956 View Post
-- what differences are there in the hardware (APIM/BCM) between earlier and later builds?

Brian
Don't know if there's any difference, but it seems to be the only common thread between those that have a working climate control display.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:59 PM   #400
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96148
What I Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited

FF Reputation: 2 oritpro Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by treoless View Post
If the update was truly corrupted then that would mean that there's no data integrity checks during the update process which a pretty damn scary thought.

It's likely that the update it was just improperly packaged. e.g. wrong package applied to the wrong part.

So I guess at this point I'll schedule a service appointment with my dealer to have the oil changed and the CC problem fixed since they're ignoring my emails and SMR won't answer my question.

Bookmarks & Social Networks