Spring Opinions - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2012, 11:20 PM   #1
tspitts
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Fan#: 70839
Location: Friendswood, TX
What I Drive: 2004 Black SVT

Posts: 35
FF Reputation: 1 tspitts Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Spring Opinions

I have a set of Eibach Pro-Kit springs that my nephew took off of my SVT before I bought it from him. He put the stock SVT springs back on thinking I would not like the rougher ride. I am seriously toying with the idea of putting these springs back on the car but I would like to know if there is a big difference between these and the SVT springs. How much rougher of a ride will it be with the Eibachs? Thanks.


tspitts is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-22-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
ProSilverVT02
Focus Enthusiast
 
ProSilverVT02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Fan#: 33656
Location: Upstate, NY
What I Drive: 2002 SVT

Posts: 345
FF Reputation: 7 ProSilverVT02 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
The Eibach Pro-Kit spring is a "lowering spring".

The Eibach spring rate is a little stiffer than the SVT springs but not by much, which means the the ride will be very similar, you will just be riding a little bit lower with the Eibach setup.
ProSilverVT02 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
DLQ001
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Fan#: 80230
Location: Tampa, FL
What I Drive: 2002 Silver Focus SVT

Posts: 59
FF Reputation: 1 DLQ001 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I got my 02 SVT with the Eibach Sportline springs. If I was 17 again, or I was just using the SVT for Auto-X, I would probably have left them on.
As a daily driver, the ride was way to harsh for me, it just rattled my teeth over the smallest bump, even the crosswalk markings.

As a side note, I'd sell my Eibach Sportline springs, and a Focus Sport heat shield and Dominator filter, just make me an offer.

Chris
DLQ001 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
tspitts
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Fan#: 70839
Location: Friendswood, TX
What I Drive: 2004 Black SVT

Posts: 35
FF Reputation: 1 tspitts Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLQ001 View Post
I got my 02 SVT with the Eibach Sportline springs. If I was 17 again, or I was just using the SVT for Auto-X, I would probably have left them on.
As a daily driver, the ride was way to harsh for me, it just rattled my teeth over the smallest bump, even the crosswalk markings.

As a side note, I'd sell my Eibach Sportline springs, and a Focus Sport heat shield and Dominator filter, just make me an offer.

Chris
That was pretty much the reason my nephew put the stock springs back on since I am well past 17. My SVT gets me to the park & ride every day and I am not cornering hard. I will probably put them up for sale since I need to shop for new tires in the next couple of months. Thanks for the input.
tspitts is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:17 AM   #5
GBPackFan
Focus Enthusiast
 
GBPackFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Fan#: 84314
Location: Kalama, WA
What I Drive: 2004 Sonic Blue SVT

Posts: 204
FF Reputation: 3 GBPackFan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Is there alot of rub with the eibach springs?
__________________
Current love affair: 2004 SVTF #953 (Josephina - pronounced hoe-se-fin-a)
RIP: 2002 SVTF #2358, Sent to graveyard on June 11, 2013. I will always remember the good times we had!!
This car made my hair go gray, and did not care.
GBPackFan is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:00 AM   #6
DLQ001
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Fan#: 80230
Location: Tampa, FL
What I Drive: 2002 Silver Focus SVT

Posts: 59
FF Reputation: 1 DLQ001 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I didn't see any rub, but as stiff as they were, I can see why.

Eibach says the Prokit is good for 1 to 1-1/2" drop.

My Sportline springs lowered my SVT 1-1/4".

And the spring rate was a lot stiffer than the stock springs. They have to be, in order to get rear suspension movement clearance, and you have to cut the rubber bumpers down to get about 1"of rear suspension travel, maybe a touch more.

The ride is so Much better with the stock springs.

Chris
DLQ001 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:46 PM   #7
ProSilverVT02
Focus Enthusiast
 
ProSilverVT02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Fan#: 33656
Location: Upstate, NY
What I Drive: 2002 SVT

Posts: 345
FF Reputation: 7 ProSilverVT02 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLQ001 View Post
I didn't see any rub, but as stiff as they were, I can see why.

Eibach says the Prokit is good for 1 to 1-1/2" drop.

My Sportline springs lowered my SVT 1-1/4".

And the spring rate was a lot stiffer than the stock springs. They have to be, in order to get rear suspension movement clearance, and you have to cut the rubber bumpers down to get about 1"of rear suspension travel, maybe a touch more...
List of Spring Rates...

SVT:
F: 129 lb/in
R: 157 lb/in

Eibach Pro-Kit: 1.5 Drop (.75" Drop on SVT)
F: 137 lb/in
R: 171 lb/in
(Linear Springs)

Eibach Sportline: 2 Drop (1 1/4" Drop on SVT)
F: 131~262 lb/in
R: 102~171 lb/in
(Progressive Springs)

**You have to subtract .75" using these setups on an SVT because the SVT came .75" lowered from the Factory.**

The Pro-Kit is similar in ride compared to OEM SVT.

The Sportlines are a noticeably stiffer ride than OEM SVT.
ProSilverVT02 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:47 PM   #8
ProSilverVT02
Focus Enthusiast
 
ProSilverVT02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Fan#: 33656
Location: Upstate, NY
What I Drive: 2002 SVT

Posts: 345
FF Reputation: 7 ProSilverVT02 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBPackFan View Post
Is there alot of rub with the eibach springs?
There won't be any rubbing with either Eibach Pro-Kit or the Sportlines.

They only way you could possibly rub would be running a tire that is too big, or you are running something other than the stock offset.

Last edited by ProSilverVT02; 10-01-2012 at 01:04 PM.
ProSilverVT02 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #9
elsolo
Focus Fanatic
 
elsolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Fan#: 96835
Location: Long Beach, CA
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

Posts: 2,172
FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProSilverVT02 View Post

The Pro-Kit is similar in ride compared to OEM SVT.

The Sportlines are a noticeably stiffer ride than OEM SVT.
There is a hugely noticeable difference between SVT springs an Eibach Pro-lines. The pro's only gave me another 1/2" drop, but the car didn't ride as well. I tried to convince myself otherwise, but eventually I put the SVT springs back in and it is so much better.

My opinion:
Rides better on bad roads
Dampening is matched perfect to SVT shocks
More predictable handling over irregular surfaces, like bumps in corners
Slightly less static cornering grip under ideal skidpad-like conditions
Feels ready to eat up any road, more difficult to upset the car
elsolo is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #10
ProSilverVT02
Focus Enthusiast
 
ProSilverVT02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Fan#: 33656
Location: Upstate, NY
What I Drive: 2002 SVT

Posts: 345
FF Reputation: 7 ProSilverVT02 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsolo View Post
There is a hugely noticeable difference between SVT springs an Eibach Pro-lines. The pro's only gave me another 1/2" drop, but the car didn't ride as well. I tried to convince myself otherwise, but eventually I put the SVT springs back in and it is so much better.
So do you have the Pro-KIT or the SPORT-lines?

Because there is no such thing as "Pro-lines".

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsolo View Post
My opinion:
Rides better on bad roads
Dampening is matched perfect to SVT shocks
More predictable handling over irregular surfaces, like bumps in corners
Slightly less static cornering grip under ideal skidpad-like conditions
Feels ready to eat up any road, more difficult to upset the car
This confuses me, how can the dampening be matched perfect to the shock if the shocks are where you get your dampening from and not the springs?

Honestly, with how similar the Pro-Kit and OEM SVT springs are I'm very surprised you had that detailed of a difference between the two. I have had both on my SVT and aside from the drop, the ride was pretty much the same.
ProSilverVT02 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:04 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.