Stock ZX5 to SVT Suspension, alignment question - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-19-2012, 08:19 AM   #1
GreySkorpion
saved from the grave

Fan#: 94674
What I Drive: 2004 LG ZX5 2.3D

FF Reputation: 11 GreySkorpion Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Stock ZX5 to SVT Suspension, alignment question

Okay so I installed the SVT suspension, all new parts on my 2004 ZX5, and there seems to be major negative camber on the rears. Will a regular alignment cure this or will I have to buy the adjustable bolts?? I have always read they could get it in alignment fine with this mild drop (yet I have read camber is NOT adjustable on the rears), I am requesting the shop I take it to, to give me -1.0 degree of camber and .04 in. of toe in.

I just don't want to take it in, only to be told they cant align it to my specs and have to wait on bolts to come it, grind off the old bolts, and go get an alignment. I have new tires showing up soon. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
You're correct in that camber is non adjustable. However, up to -1.5 degrees works fine in the rear with no more than .04 inches of toe-in. Bolts are the cheapest adjustment devise and work fine when properly installed. Don't use visual appearance as a determination as to how much camber you have. Even -1.0 degrees of camber is readily visible.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:43 AM   #3
GreySkorpion
saved from the grave

Well as far as camber goes, I am using the fact I only lowered the rear with new SVT shocks and springs and within 5K miles, the tires were toast, fronts are still fine and I didnt touch the suspension up there. Would out of toe make them wear evenly across but abnormally fast?
Old 09-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #4
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by f250lightnin View Post
Well as far as camber goes, I am using the fact I only lowered the rear with new SVT shocks and springs and within 5K miles, the tires were toast, fronts are still fine and I didnt touch the suspension up there. Would out of toe make them wear evenly across but abnormally fast?

Excessive toe either in or out can easily cause excessive tire wear. Excessive toe and camber combined will eat tires.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
GreySkorpion
saved from the grave

I thought excessive negative camber would eat the inside edge of the tire, not evenly across? I figured a bad toe setting would eat across the whole tire, resulting in accelerated, but even wear. Which is why I am hoping to have a bad toe setting to avoid camber bolts and a follow up alignment. Its that or put the stock springs on and be happy with 4x4 status........
Old 09-20-2012, 12:07 AM   #6
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
I thought excessive negative camber would eat the inside edge of the tire, not evenly across? I figured a bad toe setting would eat across the whole tire, resulting in accelerated, but even wear. Which is why I am hoping to have a bad toe setting to avoid camber bolts and a follow up alignment. Its that or put the stock springs on and be happy with 4x4 status........
Yes, negative camber will wear the inside edge. The amount of toe will determine how much and how quickly it will wear. If the tire has zero camber then excessive toe should, theoretically, wear the tire evenly but that's pretty rare. Even at zero camber too much toe-in will usually wear the outside edge and excessive toe-out will wear the inside edge of the tire.

Things like too much or too little tire pressure can effect the wear pattern as well.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #7
felixthecat
w/ my magic bag

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 10,503, Level 68
Points: 10,503, Level: 68 Points: 10,503, Level: 68 Points: 10,503, Level: 68
Level Up 14% Completed
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 59 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Okay so I installed the SVT suspension, all new parts on my 2004 ZX5, and there seems to be major negative camber on the rears. Will a regular alignment cure this or will I have to buy the adjustable bolts?? I have always read they could get it in alignment fine with this mild drop (yet I have read camber is NOT adjustable on the rears), I am requesting the shop I take it to, to give me -1.0 degree of camber and .04 in. of toe in.

I just don't want to take it in, only to be told they cant align it to my specs and have to wait on bolts to come it, grind off the old bolts, and go get an alignment. I have new tires showing up soon. Thanks
That .040 toe in would be total= both side's max. I run 0 front toe & .010 per side. If you have stock bushing's in front then I'd have a tad toe out up front. Geezer is right on the rear camber as these car's handle great w/ some negitive camber. I'd make sure your tires are at the right pressure & rotate them ever oil change to get the most wear.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mixBigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131

Bookmarks & Social Networks