Vibration after replacing Serpentine Belt, Idler Pulley and Belt Tensioner - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-21-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
Odublar
Hawaii Five-O

Fan#: 1232
What I Drive: 2002 Ford Focus ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 Odublar Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Vibration after replacing Serpentine Belt, Idler Pulley and Belt Tensioner

Hello All,

It has been a while since I posted. I still have my car ten years later and I am really trying to keep it going for as long as I can.

I have 127,000 miles on a 2002 Ford Focus ZTS.

I had a medium intermittent vibration for a little bit so I decided to change the belt tensioner and the serpentine belt along with the idler pulley. I changed the tensioner and the belt first but a small vibration was still present. Not as bad as before but still there so I replaced the idler pulley and it seems like the vibration has gotten worse.

The idler pulley and belt tensioner look redesigned so I can't say the parts look identical but they did fit. I'm just concerned that I am going to have to replace everything. I just graduated from college and still looking for employment so I am working with a budget.

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Steven

Performance Modifications: JBA Street Header, Random Technology Super High Flow Cat, Bosal 2 1/4" Flexpipe, Magnaflow 2 1/4" Cat-back System, CAI, Fuzion ZRi Tires, FR 9MM Spark Plug Wires, FS Rear Stress Bar, FS Strut Tower Brace, FC 65mm T/B, AEM Underdrive Pulley Kit
Next Modification: SCT XCalibrator 2 Multi-Program OBD-II ECU Flash Device
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2012, 10:06 PM   #2
emsvitil
Focus Addict

Fan#: 50210
What I Drive: 2000 SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 9 emsvitil Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
How old are the motor mounts?

Especially the passenger side one.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
Odublar
Hawaii Five-O

Here are three things that I have never changed that seem people suggest:

Timing Belt
Water Pump
Motor Mounts

When I was trying to figure out what was wrong in the first place, a mechanic from a ford dealership looked at the car for me (at no charge) and said it couldn't be the motor mounts because when he popped the top off ( motor mount on the passenger side), it didn't look bad because I think he said something about water. Not sure.

Oh, and I should mention that it does not start to vibrate until 45-55 mph. I don't speed at all and that is the range to where it gets to vibrating. However, it is getting worse, the other day I drove 5 miles and it stopped. Meaning it went away for the entire rest of the drive to my destination and back home, stopping a few times. I would say the engine was off about 5-10 minutes between each stop at a store or other places. It seems after being warmed up, it stops vibrating.

Last night when I went out it seemed to have gotten worse so I turned around after only a mile.
Performance Modifications: JBA Street Header, Random Technology Super High Flow Cat, Bosal 2 1/4" Flexpipe, Magnaflow 2 1/4" Cat-back System, CAI, Fuzion ZRi Tires, FR 9MM Spark Plug Wires, FS Rear Stress Bar, FS Strut Tower Brace, FC 65mm T/B, AEM Underdrive Pulley Kit
Old 09-22-2012, 11:20 AM   #4
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
#1 Change your timing belt, it has nothing to do with your vibration problem but it is required preventative maintenance.

Vibration:

Does it follow engine RPM or vehicle speed?
If you rev the engine up to 2500 rpm or so in Park, does it vibrate?
While traveling at 45-55 mph, bump the trans into neutral: does the vibration go away?
Old 09-22-2012, 12:40 PM   #5
Odublar
Hawaii Five-O

I took a ride with my brother and he said it couldn't be the belt or the pulley because it didn't affect the rpm's. He said it sounds like something is loose under the car.

So on Monday, I will take it down to the dealership and get the timing belt changed out and ask for them to check for any loose pieces under the car.

I will update you on any news.

Thanks!

Steven

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->