Drivers Seat discomfort - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-19-2012, 11:31 PM   #41
MrsLowe2be
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105068
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy Metallic Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 MrsLowe2be Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Please let us know what they say! I have the same issue, I'm practically in tears driving lately :(

I thought it was because I drive a lot, then I thought I just had to wear it in. Ive had my car less than a year and have little over 20k on it. The seat makes driving miserable!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2012, 12:45 AM   #42
MikeSchultz
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104587
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, SE-hatch

FF Reputation: 1 MikeSchultz Good Standing Member
hey all,for me the seat it almost feels like my hamstring is strecthing, so what i did was pad the bottom of the seat so you wouldn't be so deep in the seat, that did help, but still after 40 mins the pain in the leg started, so a few days later i actually removed the 2012 seat cushion and used a 2008 focus seat cushion, this seat cushion is def better for me, i also padded the bottom of the seat to rais me out of the seat a little and it was better, i don't get the pain as instense, but it def made the ride more bearable, my next step is to see if i can sit in a power seat, if the power will rais the back part of the seat cushion this might help, but most likely i will be getting a set of aftermarket seats. i'm gonna take my time in setting them up, i want to use the existing factory seat bracket and mount the seat to it. so i will get a junk yard seat that i can dismantle.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:05 AM   #43
tech10002
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 104134
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 tech10002 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSchultz View Post
hey all,for me the seat it almost feels like my hamstring is strecthing, so what i did was pad the bottom of the seat so you wouldn't be so deep in the seat, that did help, but still after 40 mins the pain in the leg started, so a few days later i actually removed the 2012 seat cushion and used a 2008 focus seat cushion, this seat cushion is def better for me, i also padded the bottom of the seat to rais me out of the seat a little and it was better, i don't get the pain as instense, but it def made the ride more bearable, my next step is to see if i can sit in a power seat, if the power will rais the back part of the seat cushion this might help, but most likely i will be getting a set of aftermarket seats. i'm gonna take my time in setting them up, i want to use the existing factory seat bracket and mount the seat to it. so i will get a junk yard seat that i can dismantle.
How did the 2012 seat cover fit over the 2008 bottom cushion? Could you post a couple pictures of it? I'm really interested in trying this myself, but the wife wouldn't like it unless it looked good. The driver's seat is my my #1 complaint about this car. I love almost everything else.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:13 PM   #44
MikeSchultz
Focus Rookie

well the seat fabric fit alright, where the side bolsters are the fabric is loose, towards the front og the cushion the 08 focus bolster doesn't extend as far as teh 12, so the front part of the seat fabrice there is nothing keeping it shape you it gets droopy in a way, i'll try to get a pic posted, can anyone let me know how to post a pic
if any one is interested in seeing what i did with my seat, i uploaded them to my website http://cctech1.com/SEATPICS.HTM

Last edited by MikeSchultz; 10-20-2012 at 10:48 PM. Reason: JUST A LINK TO MY WEBSITE WITH PIC OF THE SEAT
Old 10-20-2012, 10:15 PM   #45
MikeSchultz
Focus Rookie

http://cctech1.com/SEATPICS.HTM
pics of my seat

Last edited by MikeSchultz; 10-20-2012 at 10:48 PM. Reason: pics of my seat
Old 10-21-2012, 12:34 AM   #46
tech10002
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 104134
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 tech10002 Good Standing Member
Do you have it in the car yet? Once you drive on it a little, give us your impressions. The wrinkles look easy enough to get rid of. It looks like you could pad it out a little with some 1/2" soft foam, like the pink upholstery stuff.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:59 AM   #47
MikeSchultz
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech10002 View Post
Do you have it in the car yet? Once you drive on it a little, give us your impressions. The wrinkles look easy enough to get rid of. It looks like you could pad it out a little with some 1/2" soft foam, like the pink upholstery stuff.
Yes i do have the seat in the car, it's been in the car for a week, def when i take over an hour drive, it is more comfortable, i still get a pain in the leg but it is not as intense and more bearable, last month i was in the car for 2 1/2 hours and i my leg was killing me, last week thursday i took the same 2 1/2 hour drive def it was def better, (i cant pull over on the freeway/expressway if you lived on long island you would know why) to strecth i'm thinking since i had the car for 4 months and the first 3 months i didnt do much to the seat hopefully in the next few weeks my leg will get use to the new seat cushion and relax a bit and heal it's self, it feels like the hamstring is pulled in a way, the 2012 seat feels like the seat is making my hamstring strech because you sit down in the seat, my next step is i'm gonna see if i can get a power seat from a junk yard, and see if only the back part can raise up, but most likely i will be putting a set of aftermarket racing seatas in the car.

the first thing i did to the seat i added about 1 1/2 inches of foam padding to the seat, if you
1. raise the seat all the way up,
2. undo the plastic.elastic tab that goes from the bottom fabric of the the back part of the seat, and clips to the seat springs,
3. undo the two plastic tabs,
4. then you can pull up the seat fabric up you will see 4 or 5 plastic hooks that holds the padding up
5. undo those plastic hooks, stuff a little padding between the seat cushion and springs snap the plastic hooks back into place
and see if that feels better.

Last edited by MikeSchultz; 10-21-2012 at 01:06 AM. Reason: added a few steps
Old 10-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #48
JimsterG
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95184
What I Drive: 2012 5 dr SEL in Race Red

FF Reputation: 1 JimsterG Good Standing Member
IMO The sport seats are a little less comfortable than the other ones. I took a 20 mile test drive in an SE with the 'sport package' and I felt that thing in the seat on the left side bolstering. I took an SEL for the same 20 mile drive and no such problem. Those seats seem (at least to me) to have better lower back support and no hardness on the left side. I have driven my SEL non-stop from Tucson to Las Vegas,NV, a 450 mile trip. That trip was a tribute to the SEL's seats and incredible cruising range.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:11 AM   #49
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 21 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsterG View Post
IMO The sport seats are a little less comfortable than the other ones. I took a 20 mile test drive in an SE with the 'sport package' and I felt that thing in the seat on the left side bolstering. I took an SEL for the same 20 mile drive and no such problem. Those seats seem (at least to me) to have better lower back support and no hardness on the left side. I have driven my SEL non-stop from Tucson to Las Vegas,NV, a 450 mile trip. That trip was a tribute to the SEL's seats and incredible cruising range.
I'm not sure why you would think the SE sport seat was any less comfortable than the SEL seat, unless you have leather in your SEL, as the seat is identical except for the cut and pattern of the cloth between the SE with sport package and the SEL/Ti in 2012. Only the base S/SE had a different "comfort" seat frame as far as I am aware.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:20 AM   #50
NCFocus12
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 103684
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 NCFocus12 Good Standing Member
What are your dimensions, who don't like the seats? I'm 5'10 180 and I think the sport seats are a perfect fit

Bookmarks & Social Networks