Drivers Seat discomfort - Page 4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 05:49 PM   #31
chum567
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Fan#: 86507
Location: Montgomery, AL
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus SEL

Posts: 192
FF Reputation: 1 chum567 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
yes very painful on my back when i drive for over 30mins...i keep good posture its just uncomfortable.
chum567 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-09-2012, 01:46 AM   #32
MikeSchultz
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Fan#: 104587
Location: medford, NY
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, SE-hatch

Posts: 8
FF Reputation: 1 MikeSchultz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
i think i found a solution to the discomfort, i pulled my seat out of the car, and removed the seat covering and padding and just starred at the frame, the bottom part of the frame has like a two inch drop by 11 gully at the deepest part. so i was thinking if i can fill that gully up with something then maybe i wont be so far down in the seat, so i looked around house it was 11pm eastern time and i found some packing material from a computer case i bought a few months ago it was almost like styrofoam but, this is not styrofoam, this is a very smooth and flexible sturdy piece foam , harder then the seat foam, but not to soft, i'm don't know what it is actually called but it is firm and has lots of air bubbles within, it come in layers, i think dell computers used a very similiar material when they packed there desktop and shipped them out at one time the dell stuff was black in color this stuff is white, so i said hmmmm what if i fill the gully up with this to raise my butt out of the seat a little so i cut 4 pieces the pieces are about one inch thick and layed them on the springs, and put the seat covering back on, so i pretty much pushed the seat base up two inches out of the gully, HOLLY CRAP it's completely changed the contour of the seat and releived some pressure on my leg, and pushed my butt up enough so the cheeks arenot resting on the bolster toward the back part of the seat cushion, i went for a test drive, it was def better and was more comfortable for me, the new feel when your sitting is firm i didnt feel my self sinking in the seat, i'll know bettter in the next couple days. i wish i had some pictures but didn't think of taking them. if i can get some pics out to the group i will
MikeSchultz is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #33
FordService
Official Ford Rep
 
FordService's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Fan#: 79824
Location: Dearborn, MI
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Posts: 4,566
Points 3,298, Level 35
Points: 3,298, Level: 35 Points: 3,298, Level: 35 Points: 3,298, Level: 35
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelman01940 View Post
Thanks for the info / idea ... I must agree that the design is either super poor or the quality at the plant is super poor ... never had a seat problem before. One of the reasons I bought a Ford was based upon the fact that for years Ford and Mazda shared parts / design. I have had and still have Mazda dating back to '92 along with Toyota's up unitl August of this year all the way back to '84 and have never had an issue with the seats ... and the old toyota's I had were as Base Model as you could get ...

Also, great idea trying with a junk yard seat first ... I simply wish I could get some response from FORD
Hi Wheelman01940,

Can I assist? Feel free to reach out to me via PM and I'll see how I can help. Send me your VIN, dealer, mileage, and daytime phone number; I'll start investigating.

Thanks!
Crystal
__________________
FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
FordService is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 06:04 PM   #34
tech10002
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Fan#: 104134
Location: Lexington, KY
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue SE Hatch

Posts: 31
FF Reputation: 1 tech10002 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSchultz View Post
i think i found a solution to the discomfort, i pulled my seat out of the car, and removed the seat covering and padding and just starred at the frame, the bottom part of the frame has like a two inch drop by 11 gully at the deepest part. so i was thinking if i can fill that gully up with something then maybe i wont be so far down in the seat, so i looked around house it was 11pm eastern time and i found some packing material from a computer case i bought a few months ago it was almost like styrofoam but, this is not styrofoam, this is a very smooth and flexible sturdy piece foam , harder then the seat foam, but not to soft, i'm don't know what it is actually called but it is firm and has lots of air bubbles within, it come in layers, i think dell computers used a very similiar material when they packed there desktop and shipped them out at one time the dell stuff was black in color this stuff is white, so i said hmmmm what if i fill the gully up with this to raise my butt out of the seat a little so i cut 4 pieces the pieces are about one inch thick and layed them on the springs, and put the seat covering back on, so i pretty much pushed the seat base up two inches out of the gully, HOLLY CRAP it's completely changed the contour of the seat and releived some pressure on my leg, and pushed my butt up enough so the cheeks arenot resting on the bolster toward the back part of the seat cushion, i went for a test drive, it was def better and was more comfortable for me, the new feel when your sitting is firm i didnt feel my self sinking in the seat, i'll know bettter in the next couple days. i wish i had some pictures but didn't think of taking them. if i can get some pics out to the group i will
Great idea. I bet that would make a big difference. I'm gonna try that this weekend. I've noticed how much I sink down in mine, too. I'm almost sitting on the side trim in mine it squishes down so much. My 280 pounds or so probably doesn't help, either. LOL In my old Honda Civic, I didn't sink at all in the seat, though.
tech10002 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 11:08 AM   #35
zak404
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Fan#: 89335
Location: Edmonton, Canada
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red Se Sedan Sport

Posts: 38
Points 264, Level 5
Points: 264, Level: 5 Points: 264, Level: 5 Points: 264, Level: 5
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 zak404 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelman01940 View Post
2012 Focus SE, A/T, 201a package.

I have found the drivers seat bottom to cause pain after 15 or minutes of driving. specifically, pressure points on the outter thigh. It appears to be due to the underlying metal seat frame or lack of padding. Anyone else have this issue?

I'm 6 foot, 1 inch tall, 185 pounds, and I take a 34 x 34 pants. So, I'm not out of the norm and the seat should be OK for my size.

Due to the foot rest (left leg), my legs do splay a bit but, no more than they did with my previous Toyota's and Mazda's. The right leg tends to rest against the center dash. This is my first Ford. I'm hoping this is an issue which is known and has a resolution. I have less than 400 miles on the car and can't drive it this way for any meaningful distance.
I have the same problem,had to buy two lumber supports,one for the drivers seat and the other for the passenger seat. My back lasts about 20 minutes in these seats.My last two focus's had great seats but they didn't look as cool the ones I have now with the "sport" package.
zak404 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #36
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend
 
TboneZX3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Fan#: 90494
Location: Jackson, MO
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

Posts: 2,179
Points 1,277, Level 19
Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zak404 View Post
I have the same problem,had to buy two lumber supports,one for the drivers seat and the other for the passenger seat. My back lasts about 20 minutes in these seats.My last two focus's had great seats but they didn't look as cool the ones I have now with the "sport" package.
You might not have the same seats as Wheelman01940--I don't believe he stated whether he has the sport seats or not.

The seats in my SE Sport are the most comfortable seats I've owned, and I can comfortably drive 10+ hours in them. I think our differing experiences show just how difficult it is to make a seat that fits everyone well.
__________________
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
TboneZX3 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #37
Wheelman01940
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Fan#: 104044
Location: Boston, MA
What I Drive: 2012 Red Focus SE A/T w 201a

Posts: 24
FF Reputation: 1 Wheelman01940 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hello - I do not have the sport seats .. as far as I know .. as I don't have the sport package. For me, it's the side bolster of the bottom cushion (left side specifically) which has a metal frame under the cushion (it feels like a rode) which, for whatever reason, creates a pressure point on my mid, slighter outter thigh. I hav 34 inch inseam legs but, am only 185 lbs. Indeed, if you legs did not spread slightly as I sit (knees wider than my hips), my thigh would not hit the bolster and so, not get pressure from the frame under the cushion. So, not sure if it's simply because I have 34 inch legs or it's the seat itself.

Anyone have a schematic of the seat and how you take it apart / put it back together? I'm happy to bend that frame member down / out a little to see it that addresses my issue ... which I think it will.

Thanks
Wheelman01940 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #38
Wheelman01940
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Fan#: 104044
Location: Boston, MA
What I Drive: 2012 Red Focus SE A/T w 201a

Posts: 24
FF Reputation: 1 Wheelman01940 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
BTW - FORD has been no help at all so far .. maybe I've reached the wrong people .. who knows. Mazda was not much better when I had a different issue (dealer repair, sub-frame member) 5 yrs ago. However, for what it's worth, Toyota was always great ... Even Toyota USA in CA would fax / e-mail me repair info, schematics, etc.
Wheelman01940 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2012, 09:54 AM   #39
NCFocus12
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Fan#: 103684
Location: Raleigh, NC
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Sedan

Posts: 48
FF Reputation: 1 NCFocus12 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The sport seats (I've sat in the standard ones, and they are no match) are notably superior than to seats in my 08 Mercedes C-Class. Of course, YMMV based on frame, size, etc
NCFocus12 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 09:18 AM   #40
Wheelman01940
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Fan#: 104044
Location: Boston, MA
What I Drive: 2012 Red Focus SE A/T w 201a

Posts: 24
FF Reputation: 1 Wheelman01940 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelman01940 View Post
BTW - FORD has been no help at all so far .. maybe I've reached the wrong people .. who knows. Mazda was not much better when I had a different issue (dealer repair, sub-frame member) 5 yrs ago. However, for what it's worth, Toyota was always great ... Even Toyota USA in CA would fax / e-mail me repair info, schematics, etc.
Hello All -

I have now heard from FORD ... Yahh!! Will see where it goes and will keep you updated. They called and listened to my concern and said that they'd review with one of their engineers.

Thank you FORD .. for at least caring enough to look into it
Wheelman01940 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:59 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Audi S3, Ford Fusion and Acura TLX. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area. Challenger Hellcat - Charger Hellcat