Drivers Seat discomfort - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-22-2012, 04:49 PM   #21
GoldenHour
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103427
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black ST

FF Reputation: 3 GoldenHour Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Job 1 cars only have height adjustable front head restraints (2010-3/4/12). Where as most Job 2 cars built after 4/10/12 were built with the ratcheting fore- aft adjustment capability giving them four way adjustability.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
okay thanks. so on jobs 1 cars the headrests are angled forward?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2012, 04:52 PM   #22
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHour View Post
okay thanks. so on jobs 1 cars the headrest are angled forward?
Yes permanently adjusted with an angle that approaches that of the job 2 head restraints on maximum forward rake.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:19 PM   #23
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92484
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL 303A Focus

FF Reputation: 2 AZfocus2012 Good Standing Member
I wonder if you complained about the fixed head restraints if Ford would swap you up to the adjustable ones?
Old 09-22-2012, 05:28 PM   #24
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZfocus2012 View Post
I wonder if you complained about the fixed head restraints if Ford would swap you up to the adjustable ones?
Probably not, although I'm not sure that they changed the posts that the restraints mount into which would mean you could likely change them easily.

If the cloth was separating or some other concern covered under warranty they might use what they can get assuming there were no supplies for the two way restraint for service parts. However for a comfort complaint I doubt they will replace them under warranty as they were not strictly speaking defective.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:37 PM   #25
2012silversel
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83969
What I Drive: 2014 C-Max Energi, Sterling Gray

FF Reputation: 1 2012silversel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Back to the seat comfort, I too felt some numbness in my left leg on long trips in my Focus. Without me noticing, my leg would move over and rest on top of the seat bolster causing the numbness. Other than long trips, the seats were very comfortable for daily driving. Not to brag up the Escape, but I just returned from a 2750 mile trip and because the seat is a little wider, I didn't experience any discomfort. The partial leather drivers seat in my Escape is the most comfortable seat in any car I've owned. It also has adjustable headrests that I adjusted several times.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:03 PM   #26
GoldenHour
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103427
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black ST

FF Reputation: 3 GoldenHour Good Standing Member
nmnm
Old 10-06-2012, 10:11 PM   #27
MikeSchultz
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104587
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, SE-hatch

FF Reputation: 1 MikeSchultz Good Standing Member
i'm looking into a set of sparco seats now, only problem so far, no one has the mounting brackets available, so i will prob fabricate a pair, but my concern is the airbag, how do i deactivate it.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:30 PM   #28
tech10002
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 104134
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 tech10002 Good Standing Member
I noticed the exact same thing in my 2012 SE with sport package. There are large diameter metal wires wrapping around the perimeter of the seat. It caused me so much pain in the driver's side that I removed the seat cover, slit the foam open, and bent the wire with an adjustable wrench. It makes a HUGE difference after you bend it. I think they're not made correctly from the factory because the driver's seat left side wire was bent almost 90 degrees straight up where it poked me right in the bone on the back of my leg. The passenger side is more like 45 degrees on both sides and doesn't really bother me. The non sport seats in the base S model I test drove were a lot more comfortable than these, but bending the wire makes them tolerable.

The seat cover is pretty easy to snap off. You just need to get a common screw driver under the plastic clip and pry back until you can peel the clip off the seat pan. I just released mine on the front and side and pulled the seat cover out of the way then pulled the plastic trim on the side back and shoved a towel under it. There was enough clearance to get to the wire, then after I sliced through the foam with a razor blade as far down as I could. That way I was able to pull the foam back, bend the wire, and then pull the foam back over the wire to cover it up.

I'm seriously considering cutting and removing the wire completely. It doesn't seem to do much other than cause pain. I've taken apart seats in many other cars that didn't have any wire at all, and they always seemed to hold their shape just fine. I might pick up a spare set of seats from the junkyard and experiment with the bottom cushion.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:03 PM   #29
Wheelman01940
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104044
What I Drive: 2012 Red Focus SE A/T w 201a

FF Reputation: 1 Wheelman01940 Good Standing Member
Thanks for the info / idea ... I must agree that the design is either super poor or the quality at the plant is super poor ... never had a seat problem before. One of the reasons I bought a Ford was based upon the fact that for years Ford and Mazda shared parts / design. I have had and still have Mazda dating back to '92 along with Toyota's up unitl August of this year all the way back to '84 and have never had an issue with the seats ... and the old toyota's I had were as Base Model as you could get ...

Also, great idea trying with a junk yard seat first ... I simply wish I could get some response from FORD
Old 10-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #30
GMconvert
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101277
What I Drive: 2010 Sangria Red Metallic Focus SES

FF Reputation: 2 GMconvert Good Standing Member
I rented a 2012 on three separate occasions and was uncomfortable for all three of them. I'm 6', 240, 36/34 pants but my legs are the majority of my height. I had to adjust how I sat every hour or so on my multiple 3+ hour trips. The worst was not having enough room for my right leg since the console is crammed next to the seats. My right knee would actually be sore from resting on the console. If I adjusted the seat any further back, I had to stretch to reach the steering wheel.

I really enjoyed the gas mileage and I liked the looks of the 08-11 Foci, so I went to the dealer to see if I fit any better in that generation than the newest ones. Sure enough, I did. I feel less cramped and both legs have plenty of room in all but the closest positions on the seat track, and my right leg can lean towards the console without resting on it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks