2004 Focus Parasitic Electrical Drain - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-21-2012, 01:33 PM   #1
gread
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104091
What I Drive: 2004, Silver, Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 gread Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2004 Focus Parasitic Electrical Drain

Calling All Electrical Experts,

The Missus has a 2004 1.6 Zetec, whose battery keeps running down when left for any period. I have connected a multimeter in series with the positve battery lead and have 3.5A draw on the battery with everytine off and all the doors closed and locked. I have pulled all of the fuses in the main (interior) and auxillary (engine bay) fuse boxes, nothing affected the reading significantly.

Any ideas where to look next?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
lildisco
RespectMyAuthoritah!

Fan#: 5761
What I Drive: 06 Mazda6i, 08 Mazda CX7 GT AWD

FF Reputation: 47 lildisco Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
could have a bad alternator, it 'should' have it's own built in fuse. Has the alternator been changed out before?

03 SE SVT Wannabe (sold) to help pay for my 08 Cooper Red Mazda CX7 AWD GT
Old 09-21-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
hurtinfocus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 835
What I Drive: 03 SVT (RS conversion)

FF Reputation: 4 hurtinfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
my '03 SVT does the exact same thing, and I have never been able to narrow it down myself either. As long as I drive it once or twice a week it's never weak enough to cause me an issue.....but leave it more than a week and it's dead. I went through the same process as you with the same results.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:08 PM   #4
gread
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104091
What I Drive: 2004, Silver, Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 gread Good Standing Member
Hi lildisco,

No, the alternator has not been changed before. The alternator is charging fine once I get the engine running, but are you saying that the alternator could be draining the battery when the engine is not running?

Thanks.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:43 PM   #5
mikeeshaq
Focus Addict

Fan#: 72526
What I Drive: 2010 Transit Connect

FF Reputation: 15 mikeeshaq Great Standing Member
Good somebody that knows how to use a multimeter!!

You DO realize that it might take up to an hour for all the electronics to go to 'sleep'.
Any connection or disconnection of your multimeter on the Amps setting will cause the electronics to 'wake' again.

Well after securely connecting an ammeter and waiting an hour do you still see current?

Next pull the radio. Then do this all over again any change? SOL if you installed an Amp or hodgepodge a different radio in

Now if I were you I would obtain a DC current clamp on ammeter

Sure they cost more for a DC ammeter but paying a Ford technician will be like getting bit from some blood sucking vampire

With DC current clamp on ammeter. Kluge up some auto fuse extensions , probably have to make them your self.

With [e.g.] four fuses extended, wait an hour and see if those fuses have unusual high current. If not then move to the next four fuses, etc etc

Alternator might be bad so you could see if the alternator is sucking current after an hour-might be some leaking regulator or diodes.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
hard aground
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97363
What I Drive: 2002 silver estate

FF Reputation: 1 hard aground Good Standing Member
Or you could disconnect the charge wire from your alternator and see if you still have a 3.5 amp draw. How old is your battery? Any chance even there's a bad cell?
Old 09-22-2012, 09:09 AM   #7
lildisco
RespectMyAuthoritah!

Fan#: 5761
What I Drive: 06 Mazda6i, 08 Mazda CX7 GT AWD

FF Reputation: 47 lildisco Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gread View Post
Hi lildisco,

No, the alternator has not been changed before. The alternator is charging fine once I get the engine running, but are you saying that the alternator could be draining the battery when the engine is not running?

Thanks.
Thr alternator has a direct connection to the battery. There's an inline fuse too. But components in the alternator could be bad or failing causing a constant draw. Just my thoughts on the matter.

03 SE SVT Wannabe (sold) to help pay for my 08 Cooper Red Mazda CX7 AWD GT
Old 09-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #8
ligardner
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 32567
What I Drive: 02 Focus LX; 05 Focus ZX4; 02 Wago

FF Reputation: 1 ligardner Good Standing Member
Hi,
Your parasitic drain problem has happened before; happened to me about 5 years ago. Its a weird problem because normally you don't suspect an alternator that is charging OK when engine is running. That is precisely what happened to me, and I spent several weeks disconnecting fuses and relays trying to prove that it wasn't the alternator. Here is the URL from my saga.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...arasitic+drain

It turned out that the diodes were bad on the alternator, and their job is to allow current to move in only one direction--into the battery, and not out of it.

I could not find a place to change out the diodes so i got a new alternator. If there is a rebuild shop that you can drop your car off at, that is usually a better option than a rebuilt alternator. Ask them if they can swap out your diodes.

Bookmarks & Social Networks