Help with seat clicking problems... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old Yesterday, 12:31 PM   #1
chazman113
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 217290
What I Drive: 2014 Focus SE

Points 14, Level 1
Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1
Level Up 27% Completed
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 chazman113 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Help with seat clicking problems...

So I'm turning to this forum in the hopes of fixing a super annoying problem. No it's not the transmission, which I've had in twice with not too much help. This problem involves the seat. The passenger seat has a super annoying clicking sound that occurs on random intervals when I am driving it. When it is happening bumps and vibration bring it out. I can't for the life of me find anything that is doing it. I've re-seated every connection and even started tie-wrapping things to eachother to see if it eliminates the problem. I told ford about it once and they of course moved the seat a little bit and it dissapeared. I told them I knew full well it was going to come back (it always does). They didn't really care, of course. So if I bring it in they are going to keep moving it around and saying it's fixed and wasting my time. It seems the clicking happens when I push down the left corner of the seat. Almost like it's happening in the cushioning. Does anyone have any ideas? Is there a safe way to take the cover off the seat without ruining it?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 01:02 PM   #2
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 3,016, Level 33
Points: 3,016, Level: 33 Points: 3,016, Level: 33 Points: 3,016, Level: 33
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 14 PratoN Great Standing Member
I have the same problem - listen to my clip on post #41. Super annoying.

I never found a fix. but I think it's the rack because I was able to make it click by pulling up on the top part of the rack - ruling out the cushion.

There are 2 different rattles, one stops when I lift/move the adjusting bar, the other (far more frequent and annoying rattle) happens when I push and pull vertically on the front left corner of the seat cushion. That one has more to do with the seat position (vertical, tilt) - but changing it is definitely just a workaround.
Old Yesterday, 01:46 PM   #3
chazman113
Focus Rookie

Points 14, Level 1
Level Up 27% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Did you every try to take it in?
Old Yesterday, 01:59 PM   #4
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 3,016, Level 33
Points: 3,016, Level: 33 Points: 3,016, Level: 33 Points: 3,016, Level: 33
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 14 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazman113 View Post
Did you every try to take it in?
Nope.

Any time I ever took my car in, it was for more important things - the trans, bad wheel bearings, etc. I thought I'd fix the little things that were wrong once the big things got fixed... except the big things never really did get fixed. I have the PremiumCARE warranty, but it explicitly states that it doesn't cover rattles.

EDIT:
Although, one time when I went in for service I saw another Focus with the passenger seat out and upside down. So I'm sure they'd cover it if you're still in bumper to bumper.
Old Yesterday, 02:00 PM   #5
chazman113
Focus Rookie

Points 14, Level 1
Level Up 27% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
yea, I feel a little ripped off with this car.
Old Yesterday, 02:13 PM   #6
chemistkremer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 131121
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White SEL

Points 176, Level 3
Points: 176, Level: 3 Points: 176, Level: 3 Points: 176, Level: 3
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 3 chemistkremer Good Standing Member
I have experienced this since I've owned the car. It only happens when cold and only on my morning commute, not my afternoon. My rattling is solved when I pull the passenger seat back towards the driver's seat. Sometimes the rattle is solved, sometimes not. I'm convinced (like PratoN said) it's a component of the seat frame or rack that shrinks just enough to be annoying when cold.

I've tightened nearly everything there is to tighten, to no avail. I've always thought that the best fix would be to spray expanding insulation on all of the joints but that would limit the functionality of the seat.

I've never taken it in, and since I'm well out of warranty I never will. If it bothers me, I turn the music a little louder.
Old Yesterday, 02:20 PM   #7
chazman113
Focus Rookie

Points 14, Level 1
Level Up 27% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Lol I can't decide whether I should just keep taking it in until they either kick me out or decide to fix the problem. The problem is they always need me to "Schedule" everything and by the time I come in, the problem could be gone. I might just need to stop by and drag someone outside when it is happening so they can see it themselves.
Old Yesterday, 07:18 PM   #8
Paradoxmaker
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 192385
What I Drive: 2014 Blue Candy Hatchback SE

Points 19, Level 1
Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1
Level Up 37% Completed
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 Paradoxmaker Good Standing Member
I had an issue with my seats too, but it doesn't sound like the same thing you've got going on.

I had a clicking on my drives seat that started just a couple days after i bought the car. Mine was right under my right shoulder blade and would pop when going on and off the gas.

Had it in the shop to have it looked at, Told me that one of the spring ends had popped off. They ended up replacing the spring assembly in the back portion of the seat because they broke the spring ends off when they tried re-connecting it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.