2002 Ford Focus SVT - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > Focus SVT

Focus SVT The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK1 2002-2004 Focus SVT.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-24-2012, 06:04 PM   #21
SD_Rider
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103846
What I Drive: 2002 Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 1 SD_Rider Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Noticed a leak from about the center of the car. Pretty sure it is water/coolant.

Water pump is on that side of the engine, isn't it?

Local mechanic quoted $570 w/ parts. Do the timing belt and pulleys while he's in there. (idler and other pulleys he mentioned that need changed at the same time)

What else should I replace while he's in there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2012, 11:40 AM   #22
SD_Rider
Focus Enthusiast

And finally pics of my car. :)

Old 09-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #23
SD_Rider
Focus Enthusiast

And my leak that I mentioned. It's still wet/leaking this morning. I filled up the coolant reservoir to the MIN level yesterday.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:21 PM   #24
Incognito27
Focus Addict

Fan#: 34939
What I Drive: 2003 Ford Focus ZX5 Premium - White

FF Reputation: 3 Incognito27 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
its funny i am having the same issue with a leak , however i have a 03 zx5 non svt . i had a bad hose which i replaced , but then it still leaked *inttermitently* It leaked like a siph one day and hasn't since , i looked like the thermostat houseing was leaking , but like i said it stopped since , so i dunno. i want to change the houseing , but not if its not broke :P
Old 10-18-2012, 04:06 PM   #25
SD_Rider
Focus Enthusiast

I never got a reply hear, so moved on. Currently have the engine tore apart....time and all....for the last week. I'm replacing the timing belt, pulleys, and water pump.

It was definitely out of time, by a tooth...I'm surprised it was still running well! From the feel of the bolts and such (the water pump pulley bolts came off by hand) it seems like someone got in there, then decided not to replace the belt. ???

Hopefully I'll have it all buttoned up this weekend.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #26
SD_Rider
Focus Enthusiast

Good news and bad news.

Good news: I replaced the timing belt and pulleys (Gates kit). I also replaced the water pump. I also found a broken tensioner pulley. (Autozone replacement). Did I also mention that the water pump pulley bolts came off by hand?

Bad news: After 3.5 weeks of the car being apart...got it buttoned together and it wouldn't start.

Due to my lack of time and still no manual to speak of, I took it to my trusted mechanic. He also checked out the leak for me.

He said that I put the timing belt on wrong....$200 labor. He said there's a mark...not sure what I did wrong, but I still saved a couple hundred doing the other work myself.

More bad news: While he had it up on the lift, he said it was my heater core that was leaking...not a hose as I'd hoped. $550 to replace. I looked around and everything I found mentioned it was a rare failure, but a PITA to replace, so I bit the bullet.

More bad news: I still have the codes that initially made me guess the timing belt.
P0420-Catalyst System Efficiency Bank1 - I'm guessing cat or O2 sensors.
P1381-VCT over-advanced (Bank1)-not sure what this is???
P1518-Intake Manifold Runner Control Malfunction (Stuck open) -not sure what this is???

I'm pretty sure at this point I require a manual to know what theses sensors are and how to test them.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:44 PM   #27
tukaniSVT
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST

Fan#: 5521
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus 2008 Edge SEL

FF Reputation: 34 tukaniSVT Great Standing Member
Sorry I didn't see this before.

The SVT Focus is not a typical Timing belt job. Many of people have had an issue doing it wrong and there are also many who have done a good job at it. Myself and SleepyBoy on here have done ours several times (mine because I bent a few valves a couple of times ... it happens).

These cars are interference engines and if the T-Belt is wrong, it can be very very catastrophic.

For the T-Belt you will need the Timing Tool (Both CFM and Massive speed sell them) about a 35 dollar part and it comes with a bar to hold your cams and a pin to let you know when you are in TDC.

The rest is a long story, and there are many on here for that info.

As for the P0420, yup, need to change our your O2 sensor ... does the car have a cat? If not, you may be on the stock tune and it's just reading bad because of no cat ... if you do, then they are probably just busted. Easy fix.

P1381 - Back to the Timing belt. Since the SVTF has a VCT, that makes the timing very tricky. Again just doing the job right and making sure everything falls in place correctly will fix that. It's going to take a couple of tries for those who don't know this. Even experience mechanics that are not familiar with our cars will get it wrong.

P1518 - That would be your IMRC. It's a box that controls a switch to the runners of the Intake Manifold. It either needs to be replaced or fix. There is a How-To on here as well on trying to fix it. You may just luck out on the fix because it is common.

Sorry again that I missed this. But don't worry we are all here to help you through each one. As many many many SVTF Owners have been there and done that. including myself.

Ask away and we will help you as best as we can through the internet.

Good luck.

-Ray-
Hatch Nation Member: #147

R.I.P - FELLOW FF MEMBER, IZZY, BLK2k3GTS, will always be remembered. We will compete on a different course again one day.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:32 AM   #28
SD_Rider
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks Ray!
At this point, I honestly think that I have a bunch of bad sensors. Just need to check them one at a time. :/

I reset the CEL yesterday...drove it 28 miles to work today and it did not come back on.

ABS light is still on. I checked the brake fluid level...how do I reset it?

Yes, the cat is still there. Is P0420 the front or rear sensor? Both look easy to get to.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:53 PM   #29
SD_Rider
Focus Enthusiast

Pretty obvious why I'm getting the O2 sensor codes... Bad purchase after all... :(

I retract my previous statement...the cat is NOT there. In the pic, the upstream sensor is directly above.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:16 AM   #30
tukaniSVT
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST

Fan#: 5521
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus 2008 Edge SEL

FF Reputation: 34 tukaniSVT Great Standing Member
They make an O2 Cheater that helps eliminates the code without a tune. About 35 bucks for a cheater. If you are looking to save a couple of bucks for now.

As for the ABS Light ... mine is out as well. It is a sensor on your brakes. Can't really be reseted. I tried. Just need to replace the sensor.

I stopped bothering with it for me, I autoX my SVT and I've fixed the sensors with a mechanic twice and after 3 events each time ... the sensors go out. So I just left it out.

In TX, I can pass inspection with the ABS light on.

Ray
Hatch Nation Member: #147

R.I.P - FELLOW FF MEMBER, IZZY, BLK2k3GTS, will always be remembered. We will compete on a different course again one day.

Bookmarks & Social Networks