Snorkel Delete - Page 29 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #281
Seminoles
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98405
What I Drive: 2012 SGM SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Seminoles Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Lightbulb

Looking at a ST air box after we remove the snorkel, the resonator box under the air box where the newmission hose would go and just seal the hole we have an 2013 ST air box only piece missing is its snorkel which is just a one inch flair. It doesn't go though the rubber flap. Might go to home depot and check out a few things connect two hoses from the snorkel tubes down to the grill cover that the newmission cuts and use something like conduct threaded ends and barbs plastic of course to attach the hoses. If it works I'll try to post pictures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2013, 08:42 AM   #282
sekazi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114026
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Ti Tux. Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 sekazi Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkasco View Post
yes and yes, the first image is the snorkel itself, the second image restricts airflow which unless removed or cut you will not notice appreciable gains.

i just removed mine yesterday, didnt remove the flaps or cut them and i can definitely notice the car being much smoother. it seems to be much more forgiving when downshifting as well. idle is much smoother.

i wasnt sure if it was all in my head so i had my dad (who has a Ti version aswell) take it for a spin and he said he was definitely able to notice the difference.

it looks like ill be removing my flaps once i get the chance, just a heads up: the pins you remove are two pieces, take the top part out first as it restricts the outer pin from contracting when you lift up, rather than just yanking the whole pin out at once and breaking it (as i did with 2 of them before i realized what i was doing lol)
Thanks for the help. I will get to removing both sometime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
I don't think that cutting or removing the flap overly benefits or hinders anything. In theory it will help the air transition into that area due to the removed restriction, but I don't think that anything is overly affected by it. I initially had secured my flap down in the same manner as MetalMuffins as I do believe that that is beneficial. But outside of that or the Ford Racing Snorkel, I don't believe that there is enough to warrant the cut/removal in either direction.
So outside of making something that forces air in the rubber flap really makes no difference. I guess I will try going without the snorkel for awhile and see how that goes.

EDIT:

I removed just the snorkel. It was easy just like everyone said. I looked at the rubber flap a little more and I was wondering if I used something to raise the flap it should allow air into the area where the air intake is. I am thinkg that would be better than having to put a piece of plastic to hold it down.

Last edited by sekazi; 06-08-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #283
Samurai_Chris
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96997
What I Drive: 2011 Ford Focus Sport

FF Reputation: 1 Samurai_Chris Good Standing Member
sekazi, did you notice a difference in the note of the car when you accelerated? I found that mine has a more of a growl. But no real change while idling...

2011 (German Built) Ford Focus LW MkI Sport Sedan
2011 (German Built) Ford Focus LW MkI Trend Hatch
Old 06-08-2013, 06:29 PM   #284
sekazi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114026
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Ti Tux. Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 sekazi Good Standing Member
It seems a little beefier on startup and on acceleration. It does sound different though.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:09 AM   #285
focussel12
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 113865
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SEL sedan silver

FF Reputation: 1 focussel12 Good Standing Member
Cool Noticeble

I remove my snorkel absout two weeks and try eather lid on and lid off with lid on feels restrictive like air is not getting there fast enough now lid off air is comsing from all placesyes theres hot air in there but ones is out from a red light or just getting out from parking its breathing way better plus im gettin a univer al heat shield I will let you guy know how that works take care drive fast but safe
Old 06-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #286
Seminoles
Focus Addict

This is what I did after removing bumper to re-install rubber air dam with the snorkel delete remember old school ram air. Putting the bumper back on I looked though the headlight opening the snorkel area gets its air from around the headlights so there was this dimple right in front of the snorkel opening so why not but learn from my mistake it is a little off the the left so if you do this start from right a little and grow from there, and before someone says something about cutting the straight rubber seal that runs along top it is about a 1/4 inch from sealing against hood anyway also removed the resonator box from bottom of air box and sealed it. This leaves the air dams for the radiator alone. I did notice that the area in front of the tire where tube CAI kits go is sealed up tight seams like the ones that seal the engine compartment off and leave filter in same area will get a lot of air around headlights lots of openings around there i can put my arms though... LOL

Cut

Last edited by Seminoles; 06-09-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #287
Juicedz
Focus Addict

Fan#: 108814
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Hatchback SE, 5sp

FF Reputation: 3 Juicedz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
^ This. Also keep in mind that our cars have adaptive learning, so any time there is a change that affects AFR it will start trying to re-learn parameters and optimize itself for the environment.
Pretty much what he said. If it makes you feel better After I installed my steeda cai and did the snorkel delete my car ran rough for the first few minutes, even the first few miles down the road and not just at idle. Eventually it smoothed out but it was bad enough that I was concerned. Very few have experienced this but I'm just giving my account of post modification to the intake tract.
Hatch Nation#24 168whp 153wtq
Old 06-10-2013, 11:37 PM   #288
Seminoles
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicedz View Post
Pretty much what he said. If it makes you feel better After I installed my steeda cai and did the snorkel delete my car ran rough for the first few minutes, even the first few miles down the road and not just at idle. Eventually it smoothed out but it was bad enough that I was concerned. Very few have experienced this but I'm just giving my account of post modification to the intake tract.
That's why I take off the negative cable before every mod not sure if these new ones will go into learning mode this way now but it dose help to not let the smoke out if you cut a wire your not suppose too last thing I check before butting things up and a quick touch with the cable will let you know if there is short.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:06 AM   #289
Seminoles
Focus Addict

Got the K&N drop in filter the other day put it in with a little bit of a problem getting the disk part the seat in the grove and the dealer striping the two screws next to it didn't help since they are the only ones that checked the stock one. Did the long drive to work today got 48.9 MPG @ 70 MPH that is what I use to get @ 60 MPH temp was 95 too so I would say it went up 5 MPG with the snorkel delete drop in K&N and opening up under the hood like in the old days.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #290
Adam The Gnome
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115670
What I Drive: 2013 Ingot Silver S

FF Reputation: 1 Adam The Gnome Good Standing Member
I too seem to have found a little mpg gain after the snorkel delete. Cannot find a k&n filter at any box stores. It is e-2993 you guys are using?

Bookmarks & Social Networks