Fog light wiring - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-28-2014, 06:56 PM   #1
Zuesskroph
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103288
What I Drive: 2012 tuxedo black focus s

FF Reputation: 1 Zuesskroph Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Fog light wiring

I want to wire up my fog lights so they come on with the car and stay on like daytime running lights and I'm looking for suggestions on how to do it,my car did not come with fogs but I currently have them wired up to my hid wiring harness,any help would be great thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2014, 08:37 PM   #2
decembermouse
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 166466
What I Drive: 1997 Civic EX

FF Reputation: 1 decembermouse Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Created an account to answer your question, because there don't seem to be any DIY guides on this forum that adequately address the wiring issue.

I don't own a Focus but a friend of mine does. A 2014 SE, to which we've made several mods. The most recent mod was installing fog lights. Said friend is too lame to create an account and post here so I will instead.

Other mods we/he have/has done:
-Steeda short-throw shifter bracket
-LEDs for most of the exterior lights excluding turn signals and headlights (so far)
-LEDs for all interior lights except for dash
-K&N drop-in oil filter
-DIY ground kit: Chassis to battery, battery to tranny, tranny to valve cover, valve cover to throttle body, engine block to tranny, engine block to chassis - doing ground wires is supposed to eliminate or reduce electrical noise in the whole car, and some say this enhances engine performance but it's unsubstantiated AFAIK
-snorkel and rad shroud delete
-fog light install (obviously)
-shifter bushing upgrade (not sure on where he got the parts for these and I didn't help install them either)

He bought these. He sanded the silver shrouds down, sprayed on primer, then spray painted them matte black. Looks better than shiny silver IMO.

I did the wiring myself but don't have pictures. I can get some though if you want. As for how to get the wires into the interior of the car - don't just have them go through the door opening. There is a hole in the firewall, the hole the A/C lines go through. What I did was cut the button (which you mount on the steering wheel or wherever) off of the wire, so that I could push the wire through the rubber baffle. Well, around the side of the baffle. The wire ends up in the same area as your engine computer - right in front of the passenger side foot well. Peel up the carpet there, then splice some wire (you'll need 3 - there's a red, white, and black wire going to the power button for the fog lights) to extend the length of the button wires. Make sure you know which extendo-wire is which as you do the following threading. Pop off the plastic panels right to the left of where the passenger's feet are, and the same panels on the other side of the center console (which are to the right of where the driver's feet are). Thread the 3 wires through the opening in the center console. There's plenty of empty space here to do this. Avoid having the wires touch the metal A/C pipes. Once the wires are threaded through the center console, right in front and below of where the shifter are, then thread them up through the NEXT panel up, on the driver's side... this is so you can get the wires up behind the steering wheel. Then, thread them through that area, to come out the bottom of the steering wheel.

Once you've threaded from passenger footwell, through lower center console, up through the left side of the center console then the steering wheel, leave the wires loose. Pull them a bit so there is several inches of extra wire coming out of the steering wheel. Then, cut the wires where they come out of the steering wheel. Splice them back into the wires coming out of your fog light power button. Once they are properly spliced and you have applied electrical tape, pull the wires back in the direction of the footwell until your button recedes under the steering wheel to where you want to locate it. This is in order to hide the electrical tape and extra wires.

Under the hood, use zip ties to connect the wires to rubber tubing near the firewall. Do not zip tie the wires to the A/C lines.

Hope this helps but post here if I'm being confusing. I can get you pictures if needed.

Last edited by decembermouse; 06-03-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:16 PM   #3
RP1978
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 166410
What I Drive: 2014 ,sterling grey, Ford Focus S

FF Reputation: 1 RP1978 Good Standing Member
I was looking to get fog lights installed on my 2014 FF S.

I could not find the lights your buddy got , so i am bumbed about that.
I would love to see how you wired the whole thing!

Another question, could you use a OEM switch that has the fog light option?
Old 05-30-2014, 10:00 PM   #4
SilverPony2001
Focus Addict

Fan#: 27073
What I Drive: 2013 SGM Sedan SE

FF Reputation: 8 SilverPony2001 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP1978 View Post
I could not find the lights your buddy got
http://www.protuninglab.com/20fofodn...id=18283950120
Old 05-31-2014, 02:29 PM   #5
Zuesskroph
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103288
What I Drive: 2012 tuxedo black focus s

FF Reputation: 1 Zuesskroph Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
That's not really what I'm trying to do lol
Old 06-03-2014, 12:25 PM   #6
decembermouse
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 166466
What I Drive: 1997 Civic EX

FF Reputation: 1 decembermouse Good Standing Member
It was these but for $70. I'll try to get some pictures of the install I did next time we're under the hood, and post them here.

http://bit.ly/1hwjfgT

FYI, clicking a link in this forum isn't working for me. Just opens a new blank tab titled Focus Fanatics. Copy the text of the link and paste it into a new tab if it's doing the same thing for you.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:23 PM   #7
Seminoles
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98405
What I Drive: 2012 SGM SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Seminoles Good Standing Member
All the links on the form are doing that must be something to do with redirect time for maintenance... LOL
Old 06-04-2014, 07:18 AM   #8
Irishmykl
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 165610
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 2 Irishmykl Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Saw that ebay one, and there was the same on CarID for $109 then theres this one

http://www.protuninglab.com/20fofodn...id=18283950120

for $89.99 they all look like the same thing
Old 06-05-2014, 11:27 PM   #9
dloulou8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 165658
What I Drive: 2014 Ingot Silver Sedan SE

FF Reputation: 1 dloulou8 Good Standing Member
Careful with the protunning purchases, read their reviews first!! They canceled my order 5 days after my purchase. I still have not heard back from them as to why they did so, although they did refund me my money, (seen on my bank balance not from them) Im just going to stay away from them and order another set of fogs from somewhere else after reading how rude and ignorant their customer service is and what I have dealt with thus far.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:42 PM   #10
RP1978
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 166410
What I Drive: 2014 ,sterling grey, Ford Focus S

FF Reputation: 1 RP1978 Good Standing Member
Sweet!

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->