Does Sync work or do I have a lemon? - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-16-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
DaleS
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101043
What I Drive: 2011 Silver SEL

FF Reputation: 1 DaleS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Does Sync work or do I have a lemon?

I bought a 2011 SEL certified used car a few months ago. I really like the car except that the SYNC will only go 2-3 weeks without ceasing to work and needing to go back to the dealer.
I only use it to make phone calls. Can I get an aftermarket device to make hands free phone calls?
The service manager makes it sound like these malfunctions are normal. I didn't get a SYNC manual with my car. I wanted to try to fix it myself because going to the dealer every 2 or 3 weeks is a big pain.
I was told that if I disconnected the negative battery post for 10 minutes that the system would reset. That didn't work.
I just got off the phone with a Ford tech that tried to walk me through the problem, but when I entered the pin to set the phone up again, it was unsuccessful. She told me to go back to the dealer.
I have an iphone 3gs with AT&T service if that is relevant.
I like SYNC when it is working but going back for service so often isn't worth the trouble.
Is this normal as the Service Mgr suggests? Does everyone have these problems? Are certain years of vehicle prone to SYNC problems?
Does anyone have any suggestions for me or can someone give me some insight?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2012, 03:19 PM   #2
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86108
What I Drive: PB Focus ST2 and 67 426 Hemi GTX

FF Reputation: 1 6769MOPARS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleS View Post
I bought a 2011 SEL certified used car a few months ago. I really like the car except that the SYNC will only go 2-3 weeks without ceasing to work and needing to go back to the dealer.
I only use it to make phone calls. Can I get an aftermarket device to make hands free phone calls?
The service manager makes it sound like these malfunctions are normal. I didn't get a SYNC manual with my car. I wanted to try to fix it myself because going to the dealer every 2 or 3 weeks is a big pain.
I was told that if I disconnected the negative battery post for 10 minutes that the system would reset. That didn't work.
I just got off the phone with a Ford tech that tried to walk me through the problem, but when I entered the pin to set the phone up again, it was unsuccessful. She told me to go back to the dealer.
I like SYNC when it is working but going back for service so often isn't worth the trouble.
Is this normal as the Service Mgr suggests? Does everyone have these problems? Are certain years of vehicle prone to SYNC problems?
Is your phone always connected? I've got an 11 Fiesta and sometimes when I ask sync to "call Fred", it won't call because there is "no phone". If I press phone, it will connect it and then sync works fine.

Also, check syncmyride.com to make sure you have the most up to date software.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
DaleS
Focus Rookie

What you describe is what happened today. Prior to today, it stayed connected but couldn't understand any commands. The service tech on the phone had me "unsync" my phone and now it won't reconnect.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
DaleS
Focus Rookie

Also I do have the latest software upgrade.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #5
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
What you describe is what happened today. Prior to today, it stayed connected but couldn't understand any commands. The service tech on the phone had me "unsync" my phone and now it won't reconnect.
You'll need to pair your phone again so that sync will recognize it. From the Fiesta's owner's manual:

1. Ensure that the vehicle ignition and audio system are on and that your
vehicle is in P (Park).
2. Press PHONE to enter the phone menu. SYNC will attempt to connect
and the display will indicate no phone is paired.
3. When Add Bluetooth Device appears, press OK. The system will aid
you with voice prompts to complete the process.
4. When Find SYNC appears in the display, press OK. Follow the
instructions in your cellular phone’s guide to put your phone into
Bluetooth Discovery mode. A six digit PIN will appear in the display.
5. When prompted on your phone’s display, enter the six digit PIN
provided by SYNC.
6. The display will read Connected when the pairing process is
successful.
7. Depending on your phone’s capability, you may be prompted with
additional options such as setting the phone as your primary and
downloading your phone book. Press OK for yes and follow the prompts
as necessary.
Note: Your setting for the phone book will be saved in the system. If you
choose to download the phone book, the phone book will downloaded
each time your phone is reconnected to the system (upon each ignition
cycle).
Note: Depending on the size of your phone book, it may take a few
moments for the system to fully download the entire phone book.

Also, some phones work better than others when it comes to uploading the contacts to SYNC. My Motorola works well and also handles uploading contacts.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:20 PM   #6
Dgc333
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85422
What I Drive: 2012, candy blue, SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Dgc333 Good Standing Member
Your issue is not normal. We have had our 2012 for 15 months and the SYNC has never failed to work. Sometimes it doesn't understand our commands but at most it takes is a repeat of the command. The car is my wife's and her iPhone is the primary phone, if I am using the car without her it takes awhile before it syncs with my phone but it does eventually.

I was impressed enough with the hole idea that I purchased a Bluetooth rear view mirror off Amazon for $50. It replaced the mirror in the car and has a speaker built in with a separate mic. I wired it into the overhead console in my PT Cruiser and mounted the mic to the console. I wasn't expecting the performance of SYNC but the clarity of phone calls on both sides is great, every bit as good as SYNC. It uses the Voice Control feature of my iPhone, all I do is push a button on the mirror, wait for the voice prompt and say the name or number for the call. It has an LED display behind the mirror that shows through when an incoming call is received. Only down side is it only displays the number not the name from your address book.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #7
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Here's a link to the 2011 sync supplement for your Focus:

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pub.../11sycsy2e.pdf

And, here is your owner's manual if you need it:

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pub.../11focog2e.pdf
Old 09-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #8
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgc333 View Post
Your issue is not normal. We have had our 2012 for 15 months and the SYNC has never failed to work. Sometimes it doesn't understand our commands but at most it takes is a repeat of the command. The car is my wife's and her iPhone is the primary phone, if I am using the car without her it takes awhile before it syncs with my phone but it does eventually.

I was impressed enough with the hole idea that I purchased a Bluetooth rear view mirror off Amazon for $50. It replaced the mirror in the car and has a speaker built in with a separate mic. I wired it into the overhead console in my PT Cruiser and mounted the mic to the console. I wasn't expecting the performance of SYNC but the clarity of phone calls on both sides is great, every bit as good as SYNC. It uses the Voice Control feature of my iPhone, all I do is push a button on the mirror, wait for the voice prompt and say the name or number for the call. It has an LED display behind the mirror that shows through when an incoming call is received. Only down side is it only displays the number not the name from your address book.
Interesting. I have both our phones synced on my wife's Focus. Hers is primary. Sometimes it gets confused trying to connect but we can do it manually using MFT and once connected, all's well.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:59 PM   #9
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 87765
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 3 FordIVTteam Good Standing Member
Quote:
Hi, DaleS -

I see the gang has provided some helpful tips and links, but I'm happy too look into it further. To clarify, are you experiencing connection issues or voice command concerns? Did tech support walk you through a Master Reset? If not, I recommend trying it and Reverse Pairing your iPhone. Instead of the usual process where your phone finds SYNC, SYNC will find your phone. Certain phones are known to hold the best connection when paired this way.

Master Reset:

http://support.ford.com/sync-technol...ter-reset-sync

Reverse Pairing:

http://support.ford.com/sync-technol...ter-reset-sync

I'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Jaclyn

p: 800.392.FORD (Prompts 1 then 3)
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 09-17-2012, 05:22 PM   #10
I Bleed Ford Blue
Focus Addict

Fan#: 94113
What I Drive: 2013 F150 FX4

FF Reputation: 8 I Bleed Ford Blue Good Standing Member
Quote:
90% of your problem is that crapple phone. My daughter had the same problem with her 11 fiesta se and a 3gs until she upgraded to an iphone 4 then all the problems went away. And yes, we are on ATT also.

You can try jailbreaking the phone, or upgrade to a newer model or a newer iOS

Sync was written by microsoft and iphones are apple. there is animosity between the 2 companies going back 30 years, so most iphones designed and built under Steve Jobs reign will give you problems when you try to use them with sync.
14 Dark Side Fusion SE 200A
L-CCC #18/HOIA #37

Bookmarks & Social Networks