dont know where this wire goes....need help - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
mario678
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 110345
What I Drive: 2003 black svt

FF Reputation: 1 mario678 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
dont know where this wire goes....need help

changed clutch and cant get car to turn starter....relay is clicking when ignition turned....might be ground connection but found this wire loose...just wondering if it has anything to do with it...

wire colors are white/blue.....red/blck(probably the groung) and red/green

really need help...thanks

Last edited by whynotthinkwhynot; 02-24-2013 at 08:26 AM. Reason: pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
BC_ZX3
DTC P0606

Fan#: 48751
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3 Turbo

FF Reputation: 86 BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) connector; On right side of gearbox near drive shaft flange.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:43 PM   #3
mario678
Focus Rookie

its an svt....i think i have the vvs already connected....how do i upload a pic so i can show what the connector looks like.....the connector has 3 pongs.....i think the vvs only has two
Old 02-24-2013, 08:25 AM   #4
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
First find a place like photobucket where you can store your photo online. Then there are 3 methods: Look for a "Use in Forum/IMG tags" link to copy where you store your photo and copy and paste that here, 2) Using the URL of your image frame it like this (without spaces) [ IMG ]URL of pic[ /IMG ], 3) when you open the Reply window, you'll see a bar of tools above the box, the one that looks like a postcard is the image tool, click that and paste your image's URL in the box that pops up and that will put the IMG tags around the URL for you.

What you used above was merely the location of the pic on your remote drive. Go to www.photobucket.com and get yourself a free image hosting web account. Upload the photos. Then follow one of the methods above.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:06 AM   #5
mario678
Focus Rookie

thanks bc-zx3....it was the vvs sensor connector.....checked the starter and it was good....did ohm test on all the cable lines and the turned out good.....going to connect everything back and see if it starts...keep you posted.....one question though...you think the vvs sensor would stop the car from turning the starter over? does the vvs sensor have involvement with the clutch safety switch?
Old 02-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #6
BC_ZX3
DTC P0606

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario678 View Post
you think the vvs sensor would stop the car from turning the starter over? does the vvs sensor have involvement with the clutch safety switch?
No and no.
If the starter relay is clicking then PATS, the clutch safety switch, fuses, relays and the ignition switch are all out of the picture. The usual, simplest cause is a weak or dying battery.

Since you've just replaced the clutch, there are a couple of possibilities: 1) the battery is weak from sitting since it should have been disconnected prior to starting the job 2) you haven't reconnected the battery cables or smaller battery wiring securely enough or 3) there is a clearance or binding problem with the clutch components you replaced. You can answer question 3 by ensuring the engine turns over freely by hand. Also ensure the stater motor is mounted correctly and securely.

I'm hoping you'll find it's simply a weak battery.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #7
mario678
Focus Rookie

well im going to put everything back when i get back from church....may also be a bad ground location.....by any chance do you know the exact spot of the main ground to the battery....i know it goes from the battery post to one of the bolts near the starter but dont know which bolt.....that could be it.....battery is good....just put it on my lightning and started her up...so its not the battery.....
Old 02-24-2013, 10:46 AM   #8
BC_ZX3
DTC P0606

Driver side inner wheel well. Trace the negative cable; it's short. Main engine ground is located on the rear of the cylinder head, passenger side by the engine lifting hook. It goes from the hook to the strut tower (or closeby). Starter motor itself is grounded against the bell housing.
Might want to replace the stater relay.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #9
FoMoCus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109390
What I Drive: 2002 Focus ZX3 Dark Shadow Gray

FF Reputation: 1 FoMoCus Good Standing Member
I'd double check the starter ground. Like stated above, its grounded by one of the bellhousing bolts. On mine, looking at the trans from the drivers side of the engine bay, its the second bolt going clockwise from the 12 o clock position.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #10
mario678
Focus Rookie

so check it out.....checked the starter...its good...battery good...starter relay good....all connections good...all grounds good....car gets power....but still wont turn....when i turn the ignition is get 8888 then they turn to ------.......i hope its not the pcm.....also ignition switch good and ignition relay good....i put the main ground cable on the second bolt if i was going clockwise on the bellhoousing.....ive had a pcm problem with a 93 lightning i used to have....nothing would work....on my focus everything works except it wont turn the starter......ignition relay clicks when i turn the ignition....so im really confused on this one.....the only thing left is a bad pcm

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->