CV axle stuck in hub - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-16-2012, 08:22 PM   #1
kwolo302
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103880
What I Drive: 2002 black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 kwolo302 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
CV axle stuck in hub

Alrighty, first post in the forums. After looking through everything this seems the most reasonable place to post. My apologies if I'm in the wrong spot.

I'm quite the novice with my focus yet so bear with me. I currently am in the process of replacing both CV axles. The passenger side is causing problems, surprising I know. The drivers side is normally the culprit. Anyhow, after much work getting the hub nut off and getting other suspension components detached I ran into issues getting the outer end of the axle out of the hub. Used WD40, let it soak for 15 min took a piece of wood for protection and a hammer to it. No movement. Soaked it with more WD40, tried the wood and hammer again. No luck. Rented a hub puller, hooked it up and it only drilled into the axle end. No movement out of the hub. Took a torch to the hub and axle end then pounded on it with a hammer. Still no movement. Finally cut the axle in half and pulled out the knuckle with the strut because surprise, surprise that bolt is stuck too. Pounded on it again outside of the car and still nothing. At this point I'm planning on taking it to a machine shop to get it pressed out but am wondering if there is something I didn't try. If there is any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated or even if its just agreement on getting it pressed, that woukd be great too. Thank you, thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #2
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Sounds like you tried most of the obvious tricks, If a BFH doesn't work the machine shop sounds like the answer 'cause you'll need them to install the new wheel bearings anyways....

Luck!
Old 09-17-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
kwolo302
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103880
What I Drive: 2002 black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 kwolo302 Good Standing Member
Dropped it off at car quest this morning and will be taking a repair kit with bearing included as well. Thanks for the reply though. Hopefully installation goes better

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->