2012 Focus is NOT holding value - Page 4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-16-2012, 08:57 AM   #31
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95163
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 4 MyThIc3LiTe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Lol @ people who think the Focus and any other car on sale today for the most part is an investment.

Cars like the LMP1 Ford GT are investments, hell the modern Ford GT is an investment. 69 Boss 302. Ferrari GTO. Such cars that are rare and will fetch massive dollars at auctions either now or in a few decades.

But a Focus?

Hah!

Any car starts dropping value the minute you take it off the lot. My cousins BMW 535 was worth 35k when he got it. He'd be lucky to get 18 for it today.

You take more of a hit on trade ins... You stand to make a few grand more when selling privately.

I have never bought a car thinking about how much I'll be able to sell it in 5 years. That's such an ass backwards way of buying a car.

I buy what's best in value and if it just so happens to have good value retention that's awesome, if not who cares. I'm not buying a car on the Basis that I need to make as much money when I sell it later. I'm buying it to get as much out of it while I own it, I don't care what people will say come selling or trading time. Otherwise I'd never enjoy my car cause I'm too worried about resale value.

http://www.aniteshjaswalphotography.com
If you live in Edmonton, AB I would be more then happy to do a shoot with you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2012, 09:00 AM   #32
Mazingo
Banned

Fan#: 103085
What I Drive: 2010 black Ranger

FF Reputation: -2 Mazingo Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
The only Focus that would be considered an "Investment" would be a 2011 RS500 if you were very very lucky to find one cheap and able to get it shipped here.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:06 AM   #33
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazingo View Post
The only Focus that would be considered an "Investment" would be a 2011 RS500 if you were very very lucky to find one cheap and able to get it shipped here.
Only 45k, and all the tens of thousands in import fees and permits required to keep one here and registered so the DoT doesn't impound it.

I've read of one man who did it, but only because he already had work permits to bring it in through Mexico.

We can dream that they being the RS here this time

Old 09-16-2012, 09:15 AM   #34
Mazingo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyThIc3LiTe View Post
Only 45k, and all the tens of thousands in import fees and permits required to keep one here and registered so the DoT doesn't impound it.

I've read of one man who did it, but only because he already had work permits to bring it in through Mexico.

We can dream that they being the RS here this time
ok ,
So what part of " if you were very very lucky to find one cheap and able to get it shipped here" ,you didn't understand?
Old 09-16-2012, 09:38 AM   #35
Mazingo
Banned

Can a Moderator please get that monkey off my back? Thank you.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:42 AM   #36
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Quote:
ok ,
So what part of " if you were very very lucky to find one cheap and able to get it shipped here" ,you didn't understand?
I was highlighting how hard it is, even if you find a 'cheap' one from Europe.

Import laws in the US are 25 year limit, and even then the costs associated to try and bring one right away would put it out of the reach for All but the rich among us.

What's with the personal attacks? I expanded onto your post and added to the discussion...

Old 09-16-2012, 10:14 AM   #37
jdetzel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102548
What I Drive: 2012 White Titanium Hatchback

Points 156, Level 3
Points: 156, Level: 3 Points: 156, Level: 3 Points: 156, Level: 3
Level Up 12% Completed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 jdetzel Good Standing Member
Just looked up my 2012, KBB says trade in is $18,485 (which I would probably never get) and private party is $21,240. Picked it up on 8/01/12 and paid $23,299.
Not as bad as I would have thought.
But, I would only lose that difference in value if I get rid of it.
From a financial standpoint cars are an expense. They cost money to own and they decrease in value.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:40 AM   #38
SVTFocusOnMe
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89087
What I Drive: 2003 SVT EAP Screamin' Yellow ZX3

Points 1,062, Level 17
Points: 1,062, Level: 17 Points: 1,062, Level: 17 Points: 1,062, Level: 17
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 SVTFocusOnMe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Wait you bought a new car and want it to hold value??? I remember in high school an economics teacher a saying a new car loses 25% value the minute you drive it off the lot. Also makes sense the the kbb goes down per month, is it not getting older, more on the road and replaced with a new model year?
You can't keep value on a mass produced car. You need to by a limited edition car to have it hold a decent resale value and at that point your would prob pay extra for it over the money you would save buying the regular ole model.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:45 AM   #39
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Quote:
I will be careful with what I say to not get kicked out of here because you got a beef against me.You've been following me around for at least 6 or 7 threads.After what happened on the "Just drove a ST" yesterday,I thought you would have got the hint and back off for a little bit.No ,you popped back on the same thread adding a snappy comment pretending you had nothing to do with it, and then you appear on this one doing the same BS again.

I hope a moderator is reading this, and infractions will be given.I can take some parts of the blame for some early comments I made, but I will not take the fall for everything because one or two guys want me kicked out of here because I'm not in the "Focus family" anymore!
You derailed the thread again. Instead of agreeing or disagreeing with me with respect to the post that I made and furthering the discussion, you decided to start the attacks. Not me.

You are the one who starts this. You could've ignored my comment, expanded upon it, or logically disagreed. But you CHOSE to attack and derail, and that's all I'll say about that.

Moving on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdetzel View Post
Just looked up my 2012, KBB says trade in is $18,485 (which I would probably never get) and private party is $21,240. Picked it up on 8/01/12 and paid $23,299.
Not as bad as I would have thought.
But, I would only lose that difference in value if I get rid of it.
From a financial standpoint cars are an expense. They cost money to own and they decrease in value.
Yea the sad things is new cars tend to drop quick anyways, during the winter months their prices drop even more and it sort of rebounds during summer.

The perils of dealing with a new car and wanting to sell it right away, you might stare down significant depreciation.

The only way to really walk away with all your money would be perhaps to have GAP insurance and total your car, not that I recommend such a thing.

And for those curious on how to get a Focus that will hold its value, take a read through this. And scrabble together all the pesos you can find to obtain one.

http://jalopnik.com/5535150/2010-for...first-us-drive

Old 09-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #40
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

Points 12,533, Level 73
Points: 12,533, Level: 73 Points: 12,533, Level: 73 Points: 12,533, Level: 73
Level Up 21% Completed
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Forum Activity 24%
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%
FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
My last car I owned 13 years. paid $22,600 for it back in 1998.
Sold it for $800 to a friend.
Value? Yeah, it was a LOT of fun to drive.

Bookmarks & Social Networks