2012 Focus is NOT holding value - Page 16 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-20-2012, 06:03 PM   #151
revhigh
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98516
What I Drive: 2012 Mazda 3 SkyActiv 6A Touring

FF Reputation: 1 revhigh Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I'll tell ya ... regarding the DCT ... I was in a friend's BMW 650I over the weekend, and it had the DCT or whatever BMW calls theirs. I swear ... that thing drove EXACTLY like it was a manual trans ... except without the clutch. If you closed your eyes you would have sworn it was a manual. Even when downshifting it revved the engine slightly to RPM match the lower gear. When starting out ... it sounded exactly like you were driving with a clutch. That is one wicked car. Super fast, 380 horsepower, and man that thing could fly. When he go on it, it was just like powershifting a manual trans ... got a chirp in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th even with traction control.

If Ford is trying to duplicate that kind of shifting performance with their DCT .... they missed the boat by a mile. Not sure if it's the same technology or kind of transmission, but I'll say one thing ... if Ford's DCT worked like that BMW's ... I'd be all over it.

REV
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2012, 06:09 PM   #152
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04

Fan#: 85425
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch

Points 4,324, Level 41
Points: 4,324, Level: 41 Points: 4,324, Level: 41 Points: 4,324, Level: 41
Level Up 87% Completed
Level up: 87% Level up: 87% Level up: 87%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 9 darkangelism Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by revhigh View Post
I'll tell ya ... regarding the DCT ... I was in a friend's BMW 650I over the weekend, and it had the DCT or whatever BMW calls theirs. I swear ... that thing drove EXACTLY like it was a manual trans ... except without the clutch. If you closed your eyes you would have sworn it was a manual. Even when downshifting it revved the engine slightly to RPM match the lower gear. When starting out ... it sounded exactly like you were driving with a clutch. That is one wicked car. Super fast, 380 horsepower, and man that thing could fly. When he go on it, it was just like powershifting a manual trans ... got a chirp in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th even with traction control.

If Ford is trying to duplicate that kind of shifting performance with their DCT .... they missed the boat by a mile. Not sure if it's the same technology or kind of transmission, but I'll say one thing ... if Ford's DCT worked like that BMW's ... I'd be all over it.

REV
The bmw and ford DCT are both made by getrag, so they should not be that different.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #153
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95163
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 4 MyThIc3LiTe Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkangelism View Post
The bmw and ford DCT are both made by getrag, so they should not be that different.
The other thing is that a 650i has a V8 and gobs of torque to work with AND BMW actually designates different transmission behaviours based on the kind of mode you are in.

We only have one gearbox mode. Sport mode doesn't change jack all in operating parameters. It doesn't firm up the shifts or decrease the amount of time it takes.

The only reason BMWs DCT would feel different is because of the amount of power going through it and the ferocity of the shifting.

We have a 160hp Focus. Even a 200hp GTI with the DSG feels roughly the same.

Hell, Audis S Tronic is perhaps a bit better.

A DCT is a DCT no matter how you want to slice it, the major factors are how much power that transmission gets to play with and what the programming or programming modes that the tranny is blessed with.

http://www.aniteshjaswalphotography.com
If you live in Edmonton, AB I would be more then happy to do a shoot with you!
Old 09-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #154
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,892, Level 66
Points: 9,892, Level: 66 Points: 9,892, Level: 66 Points: 9,892, Level: 66
Level Up 61% Completed
Level up: 61% Level up: 61% Level up: 61%
Forum Activity 35%
Activity: 35% Activity: 35% Activity: 35%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
If this is an accruate listing from the Getrag page it is likely that due to the higher engine power/ torque figures they would be using a wet clutch system more in line with the wet-clutch powershift DCT used behind the 2.0 L EcoBoost i4 in the Mondeo, or the duratorq diesels in European Foci, Mondeos and the like. As compared to our dry dual clutch system. The gearbox itself may technically be very similar but the clutch actuation is not as the higher torque capacities require wet clutches to function at the expense of reduced efficiency.

http://www.getrag.com/en/252
Old 09-20-2012, 06:25 PM   #155
revhigh
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98516
What I Drive: 2012 Mazda 3 SkyActiv 6A Touring

FF Reputation: 1 revhigh Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyThIc3LiTe View Post
A DCT is a DCT no matter how you want to slice it, the major factors are how much power that transmission gets to play with and what the programming or programming modes that the tranny is blessed with.
I drove a Focus with the DCT for 2 weekends, and I NEVER saw it act remotely like the BMW transmission. It constantly hunted for gears, ground every single shift from 1st to 2nd, ground and shuddered when it started out, and when you needed it to downshif it would either refuse and lug, or it would downshift two gears sloppily and cause the engine to race. This was 2 different cars as well ... one hatchback and one sedan. They were the worst transmissions I've ever experienced in 40 years of driving. On the highway at a constant speed they were wonderful.

If they're the same tranny ... then Ford better steal BMW's programming, because one was great and effective and one sucked so much that I bought a manual just so I didn't have to get it.

REV
Old 09-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #156
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04

Fan#: 85425
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch

Points 4,324, Level 41
Points: 4,324, Level: 41 Points: 4,324, Level: 41 Points: 4,324, Level: 41
Level Up 87% Completed
Level up: 87% Level up: 87% Level up: 87%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 9 darkangelism Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
If this is an accruate listing from the Getrag page it is likely that due to the higher engine power/ torque figures they would be using a wet clutch system more in line with the wet-clutch powershift DCT used behind the 2.0 L EcoBoost i4 in the Mondeo, or the duratorq diesels in European Foci, Mondeos and the like. As compared to our dry dual clutch system. The gearbox itself may technically be very similar but the clutch actuation is not as the higher torque capacities require wet clutches to function at the expense of reduced efficiency.

http://www.getrag.com/en/252
Thanks, yeah I didn't mean to say that they were the same DCT, as getrag makes more than one, but it isn't a different manufacturer so they should be more similar than other brands.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:25 PM   #157
edge10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 59206
What I Drive: 13 Ruby Red Titanium HB

Points 864, Level 15
Points: 864, Level: 15 Points: 864, Level: 15 Points: 864, Level: 15
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 edge10 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Maybe it's that world famous Mexican quality that gives the Focus' DCT it's edge?
Old 09-20-2012, 07:30 PM   #158
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,892, Level 66
Points: 9,892, Level: 66 Points: 9,892, Level: 66 Points: 9,892, Level: 66
Level Up 61% Completed
Level up: 61% Level up: 61% Level up: 61%
Forum Activity 35%
Activity: 35% Activity: 35% Activity: 35%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge10 View Post
Maybe it's that world famous Mexican quality that gives the Focus' DCT it's edge?
I don't get the point of such a baseless statement. The same dry dual clutch DCT was used in the Focus in Australia and other places without the level of complaints hurled at it by those who prefer the slush of a torque converter.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:31 PM   #159
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,946, Level 33
Points: 2,946, Level: 33 Points: 2,946, Level: 33 Points: 2,946, Level: 33
Level Up 31% Completed
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge10 View Post
Spicy.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:58 PM   #160
edge10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 59206
What I Drive: 13 Ruby Red Titanium HB

Points 864, Level 15
Points: 864, Level: 15 Points: 864, Level: 15 Points: 864, Level: 15
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 edge10 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
I don't get the point of such a baseless statement. The same dry dual clutch DCT was used in the Focus in Australia and other places without the level of complaints hurled at it by those who prefer the slush of a torque converter.
So, they are using the Mexican made DCT in the Australian version of the Focus? Interesting if true.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.