2013 Ford Focus SE - Page 7 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #61
Tiger-Heli
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12379
What I Drive: 2002 French Blue SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 4 Tiger-Heli Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Essentially, that's what the earlier thread by Chaddz3 was about. He had an S model, but he ended up doing that with some good relay wiring so the fogs came on with the headlights, but didn't come on when you locked the car doors, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2013, 01:22 PM   #62
jimbaldwin1137
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 113389
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus SE Hatchback Silver

FF Reputation: 1 jimbaldwin1137 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Since the parts (lights and bezels) are arriving as we speak, I suppose I will still mount the lights in the black holes that would not be there if it weren't for the fact that the 2012 200a and 2013 201a and 2013 Titanium all have them. Also, I intend to wire the car with the harness and switch as suggested y Tiger-Heli. At best, it will look better than having the black holes and it will confuse a lot of Focus Fanatics and others wanting to purchase the car without the 201a package. Maybe in the future (after all the 2013 models have been sold) Ford will change the software for the VIN numbers that contain the 200a to allow for fog lights and it will be able to be modified (I'm dreaming here, so, don't do the install based on this hope). Seems reasonable, but, not everything is reasonable that is possible. I am beginning to think this should have been a separate thread dealing just with fog lamps as a ton of people might want to do this. It started out as 2013 Ford Focus SE. The bottom line: It is unlikely you will get it to work unless you know someone in the Ford Service department that would program the feature with another car's VIN which might be against their policy (I don't know what their policy is, but someone else (earlier in thread) tried without success and I think the "policy" was the reason why). My dealer's service department said they could do it when I called on the phone, but, that may change when I show up with the car.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:33 PM   #63
Tiger-Heli
Focus Addict

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=290882 - This would be the best thread for it.

It makes sense to install the lights and bezels - even with non-working fog lights, the car will look better.

I wouldn't use that switch now that I know how it works (unless your dealer will update the software for your car).

I would be shocked if Ford changes the software to allow fog lights, but who knows.

Chaddz3's solution is not bad, and I would work fine for me to have a toggle switch to turn the fogs OFF if I wanted them not on with the headlights, but it would bother me that there is no way to do a true factory install - especially when it SHOULD be simple.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:44 AM   #64
thejordan
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107706
What I Drive: 2013 SGM Focus 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 4 thejordan Good Standing Member
other solution:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=311420
Old 04-20-2013, 03:43 AM   #65
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 101658
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sport Pkg Sedan 5sp-man

FF Reputation: 10 Arco-Zakus Great Standing Member
What's wrong with this picture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger-Heli View Post
In case you didn't follow the entire thread, OPsDad's solution was a trade-back to a Titanium, though - NTTIAWWT.
Not that there's anything wrong with that? I was going to disagree with you on that, but kept reading further and found that I agree with you on this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger-Heli View Post
... but it would bother me that there is no way to do a true factory install - especially when it SHOULD be simple.
When the dealer can't even do it, that's just wrong. It's great for OPsDad that he got what he wanted, but not everyone wants leather seats with their fog lights. (At least Ford doesn't bundle the moonroof in with the trim level or option packages -- for now.) The people who designed this arrangement either are ignorant of our desire to modify the cars we buy, or are in contempt of it. I can't think of another explanation.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:44 AM   #66
Tiger-Heli
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arco-Zakus View Post
The people who designed this arrangement either are ignorant of our desire to modify the cars we buy, or are in contempt of it. I can't think of another explanation.
There are three factors involved:
  • Ford doesn't want to have a "Fog Light Option" for say $250 - b/c then you have more configurations to keep up with - people not buying a particular SE Focus b/c it doesn't have Fog lights, etc, and it is more hassle to keep up with (more options for the dealers and orderers to manage).
  • Related, but not the same reasoning, but Ford also doesn't want you to have to have a simple $250 Fog Light option, b/c they would rather upsell the Titanium or the Focus Sport Appearance - why sell a $250 option when they can sell a $2500 package instead.
  • Ford really doesn't like customization - not to be mean-spirited, but it's a hassle for the mechanic if the fog light wiring shorts out, but his information says the car doesn't have fog lights, so that can't be the problem.

Not saying they are perfect either (and it's not the right forum for this), but I'm a lot happier with the way Dodge handles upgrades on the Dart:
  • http://mopar.snaponeasy.com/en-US/82...=3238&pc=76431 - Fog Lights are a $240 (MSRP) option - detailed instructions are provided, but you have to have the dealer activate them - but they activate as a dealer installed accessory - so no worry about re-flashing the BCM and not having them work anymore.
  • http://mopar.snaponeasy.com/en-US/Do...=4067&pc=76431 - Racetrack Taillights are a $315 option ($225 is ordered pre-delivery) - no activation required.
  • http://mopar.snaponeasy.com/en-US/Do...ubGroupId=3347 - Remote start is a $247 option - you have detailed install instructions, but it has to be enabled by the dealer before one of the modules is fully installed.
  • http://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/show...Cruise+Control - Not widely known, but Cruise Control is a $40 upgrade without any real activation required (the older Focuses where the same way - but on the Focus, you had to buy a new $300 wheel and transfer the airbag - on the Dart, you just buy the switches).
  • http://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/dodg...html#post96835 - One of the most interesting Dart features is the TFT display. You only get that on the Limited or as an option on the Aero. Dodge doesn't sell that or authorize the change (part basically has to come from a junked Limited now (not sure they will sell it b/c of possible odometer fraud issues)), but if you get a used one and connect it, it works fine except for the mileage being off - similar to the 2000-2006 Focus if you wanted to add a Tach.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:51 AM   #67
jimbaldwin1137
Focus Enthusiast

@Arco-Zakus,
Thanks for chiming in. Having been an old school mechanic, I am in total agreement with you. Just because Ford has found a way to capitalize on simple features and that's the way they WANT it, doesn't make it right. What it boils down to is that eventually you won't be able to change a light bulb, your oil, tires, windshield wipers or brakes without going to the dealer. We need to wise up as consumers. It now costs between $150-$250 to replace a lost car key or valve stems that leaks. That's ridiculous since you used to be able to replace either one of those items for $0.75.

@Tiger-Heli,
Its not customization if you are trying to use the OEM factory parts that are available on the same model that has a $2500 upgrade (parts which you suggested using in an earlier post). The option of adding fog lights may be something you need in different areas of the country where they assist your driving. If you don't need fog lights now, it doesn't mean that you or someone who purchases your car in the future won't need them. By not allowing the installation of an OEM feature available on the same model with upgrades, you are forcing people to use aftermarket parts which would THEN be a problem for Ford mechanics (or the owner) when fog light wiring shorts out. There are other solutions on this website which suggest drilling through the firewall, adding switches and relays which seem unacceptable when all the "provisions" are there to accept the fog lights. Sorry about the semantics.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #68
Tiger-Heli
Focus Addict

Agree with the tone of all the comments - still disagree with the semantics.

(And while we are on the subject - don't forget radios - on my 2002, I need a $10 dash kit and a $8 Wiring harness to replace the radio with aftermarket. On the Focus S and SE, I need a $250 kit AND the kit buttons are orange while the dash lights are blue. On the Charger, the kit is $500. On the Titanium or any Focus with the MFT - you can't change the radio b/c the BCM goes haywire if it is disconnected ...)

It IS technically a customization if you are changing the car from the way it was delivered.

For a better example - let's look at a more classic car, like a 1969 Mustang with the 200 inch I-6.

If I change the water-pump on the car - no big deal, doesn't change the value of the car - not a customization.

If I replace the block with another 200 I-6 mill - technically NOT a customization, b/c I didn't change anything, but the value of the car goes down slightly.

NOW - if I ADD a limited slip differential, and/or I replace the engine with a 302 and add the Boss 302 decals - THAT is a customization. (All factory parts, all available on different trim models, but the car is now a "repro-mod" or tribute car.) It may be worth more or less than it was as a 200, but it is not the same car.

If I drop a 350 Chevy in it, (or use aftermarket fogs), that is a non-factory customization, and yes, will be even more trouble for manufacturers, but most people don't even attempt that anymore.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:33 AM   #69
jimbaldwin1137
Focus Enthusiast

BTW, my first car was a 1969 Mustang. Nice car. Really liked it. Again, glad you agreed with the gist of the post. Having been an engineer, "provisions" are something that exist for upgrades. An "upgrade" is different then customization since customization usually involves a change not offered by the dealer. This is an upgrade that IS offered by the dealer if you purchase leather, wheels, etc. along with it for another $2500. Since the fog lights are offered in the same model by the dealer they would be considered an "upgrade". If they weren't offered in the other cars or previous years they would not exist as it would make no sense to put 2 round holes in the bumper where fog lights generally exist. Why would you do that? We should just agree that whatever you call it, it should not be a problem and it seems to be. Semantics aside.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #70
Tiger-Heli
Focus Addict

Fair enough - although I have seen some cars (trucks?) with holes in the bumper where fog lights would go, but no fog lights offered there (faux brake cooling ducts?).

FWIW ...

Bookmarks & Social Networks