2013 Ford Focus SE - Page 11 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #101
jimbaldwin1137
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 113389
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus SE Hatchback Silver

FF Reputation: 1 jimbaldwin1137 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Day 3 Ford Focus SE 200a - 201a BCM Fog light Programming Adventure.
The aftermarket is definitely the quickest and dirtiest way to get the job done if you don't want to deal with the dealer. I did ask the Service manager about using aftermarket parts (relays and switches) today when he mentioned they couldn't figure this out and he said you could have warranty issues if you hook this up to a connection to the car where it results in something getting fried or damaged in any way, so be sure to use the proper fuses and relays for whatever aftermarket system you are using.

Some guy on this thread listed all the OEM parts and said it was possible to have the BCM programmed, although he said a VIN number of a car having the fog light feature would be necessary to change the BCM in another thread. The installation of the OEM parts also takes probably less than an hour. Now having had done it, it would be more like 15 minutes since everything just plugs in. But, for those going this route, it could be a painful experience since the dealer needs to program the BCM and apparently some don't know how. Also, according to the dealer, you cannot simply use the VIN number of a car having the fog light feature since there are other modules in each model that may or may not present in the model that you have.

Today the service guy (a new guy in service who I have been working with) called at 3:30PM just as expected because that gives me just enough time to get back there with the rental car and for them to say they worked all day on it. He also said it could not be done according to the Ford technicians at the factory because it doesn't have the feature in this model (200a).

I got there today (day 3) to pick up the car without them having done anything all day (once they restored yesterday) and I sensed they had stopped trying when they received the notice yesterday saying that it could not be done. When I went to pick up the car (without the mods), I was able to follow the service manager (another guy) into where my car was located and talk to the technician/mechanic. He showed me where the Ford technicians at the factory sent the notice telling them that it could not be done if it didn't come with fog lights. So, I told him that it has OEM fog lights, OEM switch and OEM harness and the BCM part number for this car is the same as the BCM for the SE with the 201a package which comes with the lights and a number of people had done this without inputting the VIN number to enable the fog light feature. Something lit up in his face and he asked, "can you leave the car one more day?". I said "no problem". The service manager was still standing there and said I could have the rental another day. So, that's where we're at. Stay tuned ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2013, 04:46 PM   #102
Tiger-Heli
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12379
What I Drive: 2002 French Blue SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 4 Tiger-Heli Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I hope persistence pays off.

I think there's some truth to all of it and hopefully you said the correct thing:

Also, according to the dealer, you cannot simply use the VIN number of a car having the fog light feature since there are other modules in each model that may or may not present in the model that you have.

BCM part number for this car is the same as the BCM for the SE with the 201a package which comes with the lights

I'm out of my depth here, but I think that might be your key. You can't use the VIN from a Titanium, b/c you don't have MFT, rear camera, etc, etc. But 201a is mostly leather seats, etc. The only thing I see that MIGHT impact the BCM would be ambient lighting - and that a long shot.

Hopefully it works out for you!!!
Old 04-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #103
F35-JSF
Focus Addict

Fan#: 102775
What I Drive: 12' Tuxedo Black SE, 08' ZZR-600

FF Reputation: 2 F35-JSF Good Standing Member
Geez, Ford went too far separating the model lines... Installing fog lights shouldn't take several rocket scientists, 2 college professors and act of God!
:lol:Modding is whatever you define it as. Some people wanna boost, some people need 10 TVs, and some of these homos feel compelled to LED their cars front to back.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:34 PM   #104
jimbaldwin1137
Focus Enthusiast

This seems to be like Columbus discovering the New World for the first time. The car has been out 2 years now and I am sure other people have had to inquire about this. I mean there is a huge aftermarket for fog lights. Hella, Warn and KC are companies whose primary function is to manufacture these things. Your first inclination would be to try use the OEM lights especially since they exist on the same car as upgrades. There are areas of the country where fog is a definite problem and there just might be a need for the owner to want to add them if he felt it would aid his visibility. Fog lights are like a safety feature more than anything. Also, dealers could make a ton of money by allowing people to upgrade. It really only takes 2 minutes to change a bit in a BCM once you know how to do it, not to mention the markup on the OEM parts Ford gets.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:28 AM   #105
jimbaldwin1137
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger-Heli View Post

You can't use the VIN from a Titanium, b/c you don't have MFT, rear camera, etc, etc. But 201a is mostly leather seats, etc. The only thing I see that MIGHT impact the BCM would be ambient lighting - and that a long shot.
I don't know if the different disc brakes on the 201a require a separate module. Some brake systems are intelligent and have safety features which require extra electronic intelligence. Also, you can get features (Sirius, Park Assist, etc.) that are not a part of the Equipment Group (200a, 201a) which might also be associated with the VIN. For example, our 200a has Sirus which is included in the 201a package, but, is a $200 upgrade in the 200a. Which makes you say, "hmmm", when you think if they can do that, why can't they do fog lights?
Old 04-26-2013, 04:13 PM   #106
jimbaldwin1137
Focus Enthusiast

Day 4 Ford Focus SE 200a - 201a BCM Fog light Programming Adventure.
Talked to dealer late in the day and he said programming the fog lights into our car could not be done and I would have to come get the car. When I asked why, he wasn't big on details except to say that the factory would not issue the software that would enable the feature. From the explanation that I got yesterday, it seems that if the VIN number says its not there, you ain't a gonna git it. If anyone else had a positive experience trying to do this, I'm sure a lot of folks would love to know exactly how it was done. I'm thinking there are non-dealers that can do it, but, if they blow away your BCM like my dealer did the first day, you might be hosed.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:52 AM   #107
Tiger-Heli
Focus Addict

There will probably be something like a Lockpick for it: http://www.coastaletech.com/synclockpick.htm

Where Ford messed up was not allowing something like a "Dealer Installed Option" feature in the software.

You should still be able to use your fog lights with two relays and a toggle switch - not what you were trying to do, but ...
Old 04-29-2013, 11:05 AM   #108
jimbaldwin1137
Focus Enthusiast

Interesting. I wonder if they have something like that for unlocking the fog light feature? Hopefully, this stuff will slowly become available as there is definitely a need for people who need specific features who don't want other features that they have to sell the farm to get in order to get the one they want.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #109
Juicedz
Focus Addict

Fan#: 108814
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Hatchback SE, 5sp

FF Reputation: 3 Juicedz Good Standing Member
I'm just gonna wait until my warranty expires and then install my own fogs with aftermarket switch. Not that I anticipate having any problems but I don't want to give Ford any hint of a reason to deny warranty service.
Hatch Nation#24 168whp 153wtq
Old 04-29-2013, 01:56 PM   #110
Tiger-Heli
Focus Addict

@Juicedz - they can only deny the warranty if they can prove your modification caused the problem. You're running a CAI and you're worrying about warranty claims with a couple of relays for fog lights?

Bookmarks & Social Networks