iPhone 5 & Sync - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-15-2012, 11:46 PM   #11
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by natemac View Post
Don't be condescending, connecting is not the issue, connections are. Understand the purpose.
And why would I need an adapter, it comes with a usb 2.0 cable.

Bluetooth will probably be fine, but Bluetooth can not send high audio bitrate, so USB will be a higher quality source when listening to music. Also it's nice to have the music info on the screen over USB.
Apple has already confirmed that Lightning will support audio out, and eventually will support peripherals with audio and video as well, much like the current 30-pin connector.

Whether the audio support requires the 30-pin adapter piece (to serve as a converter from digital to analog) is yet to be known, though. Guess we'll find out on Friday :P
Sonic Crew #28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2012, 01:14 AM   #12
Altis
Focus Addict

Fan#: 89540
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SEL Hatch 5MT

FF Reputation: 1 Altis Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by natemac View Post
Don't be condescending, connecting is not the issue, connections are. Understand the purpose.
And why would I need an adapter, it comes with a usb 2.0 cable.

Bluetooth will probably be fine, but Bluetooth can not send high audio bitrate, so USB will be a higher quality source when listening to music. Also it's nice to have the music info on the screen over USB.
BT Audio from the iphone is about CD quality... sure, you won't get your 320 kb/s bitrates, but it's quite good quality. Most people have music that is in the 128 to 192 km/s range anyways. Definitely worth it to not have to take my phone out of my pocket, and have full control over what's playing (not locked to accessory mode).

It's also unhealthy for the phone's battery to plug it in often for short periods of time (such as short commutes).

Sirius, on the other hand, might as well be a CB radio... I just activated mine again and I can't even listen to it... even the talk stations sound so heavily coded.

Edit: Always use maximum volume, whether it's BT or line out... this brings the output level to the "line level" standard.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:27 AM   #13
SVTFocusOnMe
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89087
What I Drive: 2003 SVT EAP Screamin' Yellow ZX3

FF Reputation: 4 SVTFocusOnMe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Your caution makes sense but it is in the wrong department. Bluetooth will be the same it's still Bluetooth. The wire will work its still USB. The thing I would be worried about is the iOS 6. The only thing that ever gave me trouble in my dads 08 focus with sync was when I upgraded the software in the phone it was glitchy. When I have my iPhone 3G it ran perfect with sync. When I did the software update when the 3GS came out it went downhill from there. It has never been the same since. My 4 never worked as good as the 3GS did with its original software. And yes I always kept up with the Sync updates for the focus.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:33 AM   #14
Burns098356GX
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94777
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 Burns098356GX Good Standing Member
Buy an android.

Flame on!!!
Old 09-16-2012, 08:59 AM   #15
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95163
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 4 MyThIc3LiTe Good Standing Member
iOS 6 works fine with Sync. Old, MFT and updated MFT so stop worrying.

BMWs and other cars that actually have the iPod/iPhone holder in the arm rest that's integrated are royally screwed.

http://www.aniteshjaswalphotography.com
If you live in Edmonton, AB I would be more then happy to do a shoot with you!
Old 09-16-2012, 10:34 AM   #16
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
I wonder if IOS6 will improve the Wind Noise effect I get when using the Sync Handsfree. Seems my iphone4 is horrible in that regard but a friends Android paired to Sync sounds great. I guess Android and Apple both have different ways to utilize BT. I dunno.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:41 AM   #17
Altis
Focus Addict

Fan#: 89540
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SEL Hatch 5MT

FF Reputation: 1 Altis Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
I wonder if IOS6 will improve the Wind Noise effect I get when using the Sync Handsfree. Seems my iphone4 is horrible in that regard but a friends Android paired to Sync sounds great. I guess Android and Apple both have different ways to utilize BT. I dunno.
Not sure why there would be a difference... the phone connects to the towers, and Sync connects to the phone via BT. It's the car's mic and noise cancellation that would be responsible for wind noise, no? Unless there's some kind of signal distortion between the phone and MFT, but it's just lo-fi audio..

My 4S and Galaxy Nexus sounded the same through the car, although the GN couldn't afford to spare the battery life to operate bluetooth.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:51 AM   #18
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altis View Post
Not sure why there would be a difference... the phone connects to the towers, and Sync connects to the phone via BT. It's the car's mic and noise cancellation that would be responsible for wind noise, no? Unless there's some kind of signal distortion between the phone and MFT, but it's just lo-fi audio..

My 4S and Galaxy Nexus sounded the same through the car, although the GN couldn't afford to spare the battery life to operate bluetooth.

Yeah I dunno either. My phone when paired sounds like I have all the windows down and the sunroof open at any speed higher than 30. The Service manager at my dealership paired his Blackberry/Android phone to test it and called me from my own car and he sounded great. Maybe it's just my phone too. I dunno. I do know that IOS6 will finally implement BT Messaging.

I'll be getting the Iphone5 anyway so maybe I'll have a fix for my sync sound quality if it was in fact the device.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:56 AM   #19
symbology
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94555
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SEL HB 301A Mtl.Blk

FF Reputation: 1 symbology Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
My phone when paired sounds like I have all the windows down and the sunroof open at any speed higher than 30. The Service manager at my dealership paired his Blackberry/Android phone to test it and called me from my own car and he sounded great.
Could it be that you use your phone while driving and the manager used it while stationary?
Old 09-16-2012, 12:14 PM   #20
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyThIc3LiTe View Post
iOS 6 works fine with Sync. Old, MFT and updated MFT so stop worrying.

BMWs and other cars that actually have the iPod/iPhone holder in the arm rest that's integrated are royally screwed.
That's why they have the adapter being released. Those manufacturers will likely still retain the 30-pin integrated connector for the forseeable future since most people still have iPod classics, and there are now 5 generations of iPhones, 3 generations of iPads, countless generations of iPods, nanos, etc. that all utilize the 30 pin.

But Apple didn't forget about those integrated systems and granted you will have to drop $30 for the 30 pin to Lightning adapter, if you bought a BMW or a car with an integrated iPod cable chances are you can afford an adapter if you HAVE to have the iPhone 5.

I for one am excited about the lightning connector and the iPhone 5, I think an all digital signal will be great especially for those who want to use any peripherals down the line, such as the A/V adapter for those who wish to view content on an HDMI screen and don't have an Apple TV to use airplay with.

Not to mention the reversible connector is win, much like their MagSafe ports on the MacBooks... just a great, albeit small feature to include.
Sonic Crew #28

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->