Don't Ever Lose Your Key!!! - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-14-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
dcamfam
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 93153
What I Drive: 2012 5 door Focus White

FF Reputation: 1 dcamfam Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Exclamation Don't Ever Lose Your Key!!!

We had the unfortunate experience of losing one of our 2012 Ford Focus
Laser Cut 4 button all in one key. We have an autistic grandson, who made it disapper.
The key is a special key, that needs to be programed AFTER you have it cut to match your current ignition. Contrary to popular belief, you dealer probably does not have a key in stock....has to be ordered, and then, does not have the laser key machine, and has to sub that out. Then the key has to be programmed by the dealer. Ok, now before everyone tells me that I can program it myself...you should know that in order to program a NEW key, you have to have TWO existing keys...Im told that there is a do it yourself direction...So tell me FORD...how many folks would want a THIRD key. You usually want to make a NEW key because you lost one of the originals.

Now, beware.....the prices for a replacement uncut, unprogrammed key is different from Ford Dealer to Ford Dealer... I found them ranging from $145 to over $210. The dealer that I went to //Frontier Ford in Santa Clara Ca. charged me $175.00. Now remember thats just for the key. Now the key had to be cut. Opps, dealer has no machine..so they had to go to a keyshop to have it done. The dealership charged me $45 to cut the key...I overheard the name of the shop they were going to, so I called and asked how much they charged to cut a laser key if I had my own Blank....they charge $35, so the dealership upcharged me $10.
Now we finally have 2 keys....one of my Originals, and the new one. I was charged $155 for the reprogramimg. They also charged $`14.66 tax for a grand total of $375.00.

Im all for BUY AMERICAN, and Im all for creating jobs....but you gotta be kidding...replacement keys...unprogrammed and uncut ...same key as dealer is $99.95 (there are some cheaper, but I supply this link as the company has a 90 day return policy) Here is the link https://www.ikeyless.com/vehicles/Fo.../2012/1004127/

My last complaint involves the service departments lack of communication. I called in the morning and spoke with a service scheduler. I explained to her my problem, told her I had already talked to the Parts Department to confirm that they indeed had the key in stock, and to check with an actual Service Writer, as I wanted to know if I could come in without an appointment. She came back on the line, said to come right in (I was there in 20 minutes) and they would do it while I waited..should only be about an hour. Well, 3 hours later, I was out of there.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, DONT LOSE YOUR KEY. THE ECONOMY IS BAD ENOUGH, WITHOUT HAVING TO SPEND SOOOOO MUCH MONEY TO REPLACE A KEY. THERE HAS TO BE A BETTER KEY SYSTEM THAT FAVORS THE CONSUMER RATHER THAN THE DEALER

HAPPY MOTORING...AND REMEMBER FORD HAD A BETTER IDEA....JUST, NOT THIS TIME

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
xxMichaelAnthony
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 58459
What I Drive: 2001 CD Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 20 xxMichaelAnthony Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
At least it isn't a Mercedes key. Some of the higher end model keys are well into the thousands...

Considering you have a 2012 I'm not surprised Ford didnt have the key in stock or have the machine and I'm not really surprised at the price. New Ford keys have had to get programmed at the dealer since 98. 96-98 you could do it in the car. Second key you can go to a locksmith.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:51 PM   #3
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
OUCH. I do hate when that happens... by the way this is mostly nothing new. Ford and many other manufacturers have been using the same system since well before 2000. It would be nice if they didn't have transponders in them and everything, but then it's just a regular key and your $25,000 car is gone that much easier. or maybe not.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 09-14-2012, 08:55 PM   #4
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
That's why when you have two you get a third and then once its cut you can program it your self using the manual's instructions.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:57 PM   #5
dcamfam
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

thanks....i was just saying that there has to be a better user friendly way. As it stands now its cheaper if you have 2 keys instead of 1. anyway, im still a ford fan...
Old 09-14-2012, 09:04 PM   #6
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I ordered a third key just this week, just in case I ever lose one I will still have two.
$10 for he key, figure $5 to cut it, cheap insurance.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:05 PM   #7
mikeeshaq
Focus Addict

Fan#: 72526
What I Drive: 2010 Transit Connect

FF Reputation: 15 mikeeshaq Great Standing Member
I have a 2010 Ford Transit Connect with a Tibbe key

I ordered two extra 'smart' keys and one dumb key. Smart key was +$100 and had to be cut by Motorcraft. 'Dumb' key was a little less than $100

Dumb key is hidden on the outside of the vehicle
Smart key is hidden inside the vehicle

No matter what I will never be stuck without a key
Old 09-14-2012, 09:14 PM   #8
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
yeah it does suck though.... maybe try to get. keypad installed? my friend went through similar trouble though he didn't lose his keys. ended up cheaper to have a keypad installed for some reason.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 09-14-2012, 10:21 PM   #9
dcamfam
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

keypad

yeah thanks....but figure still need the chip key...but good info. tks
Old 09-14-2012, 10:23 PM   #10
dcamfam
Focus Jr. Enthusiast