2009 Ford Focus SES tire question - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-17-2012, 10:15 AM   #1
jmog
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 61300
What I Drive: 2000 Silver SE

FF Reputation: 1 jmog Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2009 Ford Focus SES tire question

I have a 2009 Focus SES Sedan, manual transmision with 16" wheels.

I currently have 205/50R16 87H tires on it and need new ones (nearly bald).

I have a set of 205/55/R16 91Q snow tires.

I know the 55 instead of 50 means the tire is slightly larger and the 91 vs 87 means a higher load rating. Also the H vs Q's difference in speed rating (I never have and never will drive my Focus 99 MPH).

My question is, the local tire place wouldn't put them on stating "its a liability thing, I can't put on tires that don't have the same speed/load rating".

I mean is it really a problem if the load rating is higher?

My question is if I take the wheels off and have them mount them on the wheels and then I put the wheels back on my car myself will there be any issues with those tires on my car?

Basically a family member had this set of snow tires for their Mazda 6 and they are getting rid of the Mazda 6 and gave me the extra set of tires. The tires were only used for 1 winter and then removed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
SkyPilot
Jetsetter

Fan#: 22350
What I Drive: 2004 SE, 2012 Yellow Blaze SE HB

FF Reputation: 45 SkyPilot Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
You wont have any issues with that small of a size change, the only difference is that your spedo will be off by about 1 mph.

And a lot of tire shops, especially larger tire chains, wont install a wrong size tire, lower speed or load rating. Its just a liability/insurance deal. While your size change is minimal its in place to prevent large size changes that may adversely effect someones car.
ZETEC Crew #26 SR #20 YELLOW BLAZE OWNERS GROUP#4
Moderator Pilot, 2 foci Owner! 04 SE Sedan [P RNDL], 12 SE HB ╠╬╝
Ford Focus Discussions, Ford Focus Marketplace, Ford Focus Tech Discussions, Movies & Music Fanatics, Regional Forums

Advocare 24 Day Challenge!
Old 09-17-2012, 10:40 AM   #3
jmog
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPilot View Post
You wont have any issues with that small of a size change, the only difference is that your spedo will be off by about 1 mph.

And a lot of tire shops, especially larger tire chains, wont install a wrong size tire, lower speed or load rating. Its just a liability/insurance deal. While your size change is minimal its in place to prevent large size changes that may adversely effect someones car.
Thanks, I figured that was the case.

The higher load rating wouldn't be a problem either would it? I assume not as that would only make sense if I was putting on a lower load rating.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing MemberGeezer Excellent Standing Member
Common sense would say that the 99mph "Q" rating is more than adequate. If you're going 99 mph on snow tires and something happens it's driver error as there's no place to be legally going that fast anyway, right? Yes, I know there's a lawyer somewhere out there that would be more than willing to take on that kind of case. Why the Focus even comes with H rated tires is questionable. The majority of stock foci can't get close to 130 mph (H rating)! And besides that, it's hard to find high speed rated snow tires. Most are Q,R,S, and T rated (all lower than H).
Old 09-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #5
jmog
Focus Rookie

I made all the common sense assumptions like you said above. A higher load rating would be ok where a lower load rating might not be.

The 99 MPH was obvious, like you said, there is no where I would be going 99 MPH anyway.

I just wanted to make sure there was nothing I was missing since the idiot at the tire place said he couldn't do it for a liability reason.

I took it to another mechanic and got it done.

Bookmarks & Social Networks