HELP - Front drivers side wheel noise - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-14-2012, 12:13 AM   #1
mj22
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 32067
What I Drive: 2003 silver 2.0. zetec

FF Reputation: 1 mj22 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
HELP - Front drivers side wheel noise

Hi Guys and Girls,

In the past week my car has developed a knock, and noise from the front drivers side wheel. I am after some help diagnosing what the problem may be as it is heading into the mechanics on Monday to be looked over, however if I can point the mechanic in the right direction I figure that is only going to save time and money (which is obviously a good thing).

The car:

2003 Focus 2.0 Zetec engine, mtx75 with 105,000 kms

The noise:

When I first start the car up and start driving you can hardly hear any noise, however once I have been driving for 5 minutes or so, that is when the noise becomes more prominent. When I am driving between 60 - 80 km an hour it sounds like the usual barrelling/ticking sound that you would get if your wheel was out of balance, then when I am driving at low speeds, between 5-20 km an hour it sounds like a metal scrapping noise. The other thing to note is this noise only exists when I am rolling. If I apply the brakes even slightly, or accelerate the noise disappears altogether. Also when I first accelerate, even lightly, I hear a knock from the front drivers side area, and then again when I apply the brakes. The knock is not particularly loud, and I have only recently changed my engine mounts so I don't believe they would be the cause of the knock. It is probably also worth mentioning that both the knock and noise from the wheel area became prominant at the same time.

At first I thought it may have been a wheel bearing however I have jacked the car up and there is no play in the wheel when doing the 12 and 6 test. However there is about 1/2 inch of play when I do the 9 and 3 test. The wheel only has play at the 9 oclock position (Because I am in AUS and have a RHD car, the play at 9 oclock position is on the side of the wheel where the tie rod connects to the knuckle). This suggests to me that possible the inner/outer tie rods could be the culprit? The only other threads I have been able to find have suggested that it may be the inner cv carrier bearing (unsure if this is the correct name for the part)?

If anyone could offer their thoughts on what part may have failed or further things I should look at to diagnose the cause of this issue I would greatly appreciate any help and advice.

Thanks

Mike

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
sailor
Elder

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 12,042, Level 71
Points: 12,042, Level: 71 Points: 12,042, Level: 71 Points: 12,042, Level: 71
Level Up 98% Completed
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 79 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
From your diagnostics to date, the guess at tie rod issues seems reasonable.

Confirm that & fix it first B4 looking further for any other possible problems - since that is prob. the cause of your symptoms....

Cheers!
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.