Exhaust question - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-2013)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-2013) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-11-2012, 10:57 PM   #1
Desmo748
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 105715
What I Drive: 2012, Tux Black Focus SE Sport

FF Reputation: 1 Desmo748 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Exhaust question

Hi all, i know someone posted about the dual tip exhaust they did on their Focus, that pretty blue one with the nice tips coming out the rear. He used a Borla 40477, i was wondering if the Borla 40348 would make a difference. Both seem to be 1 in 2 out mufflers. New to the Focus, did the newmission mod and snorkel delete this weekend and now needing an exhaust to hopefully get the most from all this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 12:01 AM   #2
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Ti HB w/Handling Package

FF Reputation: 43 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
I don't know the cfm ratings for the two, but a quick glance at the specs show that they should be similar. I would imagine that the biggest difference between the two would be the sound and possibly the longevity.

Out of curiosity, are you piping the whole exhaust to 2.5" or are you just going to do a lunchbox delete and finish it like this? My reason for questioning is due to the fact that you won't see a performance gain if you go with the latter of the two. If performance is what you're after, then you'll need to open up closer to the cat.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
Hatch Nation #161
Old 11-12-2012, 05:41 AM   #3
Bwill9886
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93444
What I Drive: 2013 Rallye Red Civic Si

FF Reputation: 2 Bwill9886 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
A couple people have used the Borla 40477 because it's design is more convenient for routing the dual piping compared to a design like the 40348.

With the 40348, you would have to route two pipes from the right side with the right tip being an easy gradual 90 degree bend, but the one for the left side being, well, kind of a mess. Especially for a space that really isn't that big.

The closest example would be the new Ford Racing ST exhaust, but they use a single exit and create a dual tip for the middle-exit. It's not a dual exit exhaust like you are wanting, but the bends you would have to do for the driver's side exit would be similar (except longer). I don't think it would look very nice or be worth it to save some money.

I know it's over a hundred bucks more, but I'd do the 40477 and make it easier on whoever is bending you some piping.

Also, dyn085 raised a good question concerning gains.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:57 AM   #4
Desmo748
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

@ Dyn085: A mix of cosmetics and performance. there is a shop here in town that can do custom work so i was going to have them do the full Cat-back 2.5.

@Bwill9886: price is a bit of concern (yeah funny to see that with a custom work comment) but you said the 40348 would be more for a middle exit? hhhmm that sounds nice as well. dammit! more to research!

and a follow up, it goes muffler, resonator muffler for the system correct? (stock that is)
Old 11-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #5
dyn085
That Guy

Correct, except that in some vehicles there is also a second cat as well, just aft of the coupling. There are some pics in some of the other exhaust threads, I will see if I can dig them up in a bit when I get near my 'puter.

September '13 ROTM
Hatch Nation #161
Old 11-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #6
Desmo748
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

thanks Dyn. just checked out a few shops in town.

1st shop didn't give me a price but said to check out Moroso and to stay with a 2 inch pipe. "any bigger without a turbo would lose performance" to quote him. Also he would make the cut from just after the coupling forward of the front muffler, run either a muffler from there and a straight pipe back to either dual or single exhaust OR 2nd option was straight pipe to a muffler where the current lunch box is and do the Dual exhaust like Sleighman did in http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269081 His third option was to do a center exhaust similar to option #2. But again no pricing for any of these.

the other shop (Down in Yulee, Fl) said it would be $150 for install (includes bending etc etc) 40 for the pipe plus parts. I said i would bring my own muffler and tip(s) And this shop said to go with a 2 1/4 in pipe.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:54 AM   #7
Sonic_HedgeHog
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00

Fan#: 50003
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Focus SE 5dr Sport Pkg

FF Reputation: 18 Sonic_HedgeHog Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
If you want any performance gains go at the very least 2.25" or its a waste of money... 2.5" seems in many cases the sweet spot for performance ability to go further as more performance parts, tuning becomes available. You may quickly hit a ceiling with 2.25"!
Hatch Nation #156. Sonic's Mk3 Crew Founder and #00
Moderator: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus, SW Fanatics, Sonic's MK3 Crew
Old 11-12-2012, 11:00 AM   #8
dyn085
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo748 View Post
thanks Dyn. just checked out a few shops in town.

1st shop didn't give me a price but said to check out Moroso and to stay with a 2 inch pipe. "any bigger without a turbo would lose performance" to quote him. Also he would make the cut from just after the coupling forward of the front muffler, run either a muffler from there and a straight pipe back to either dual or single exhaust OR 2nd option was straight pipe to a muffler where the current lunch box is and do the Dual exhaust like Sleighman did in http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269081 His third option was to do a center exhaust similar to option #2. But again no pricing for any of these.

the other shop (Down in Yulee, Fl) said it would be $150 for install (includes bending etc etc) 40 for the pipe plus parts. I said i would bring my own muffler and tip(s) And this shop said to go with a 2 1/4 in pipe.
Well, if the first guy thinks you need a turbo in order to go over 2" then he is sadly mistaken. Exhaust requirements are driven by the amount of air needed to be moved (driven by power output), and our high-compression motors move a lot of air. Our vehicles are very nearly maxed from the factory at 2", even with mandrel bent tubing.

2.25" will make power/raise fuel economy and 2.5" is pretty much the max we can need without going forced induction. I would personally go with either the second or third option, but I would add a resonator somewhere downstream of the cat, probably in the tunnel.

September '13 ROTM
Hatch Nation #161
Old 11-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #9
dyn085
That Guy

Well, I am having problems finding the pics of the two different exhausts so I will just post a picture of mine. If your exhaust looks like this then you can open up much closer to the exhaust coupling. If you have another resonator-looking element forward of the muffler (in the open space) then that is a second cat and you should open up after it.

September '13 ROTM
Hatch Nation #161
Old 11-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #10
Desmo748
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

yep mine looks like that.. just a straight run from the coupling to the 1st muffler, then that bends to the drivers side and a slightly larger piping run through muffler #2 then a few more bends to muffler #3 to the little tip under the bumper.

SO... it looks like i should open up to 2.5 in from just past the coupling and stay that size. *looks over shoulder* ok wife inst in view so go with the Borla 40477, should i keep "muffler #2" or just straight 2.5 to the 40477?

thanks for all the advice with this, looking for a little more pep without going crazy loud, used to have a 71 super bug with a loud exhaust that the wife, at that time was the girl friend, complained about it waking her up at Oh-five-fifteen-by god its to early in the morning!!! When she lived next door and her bedroom was in the BACK of the house a good 300 Ft from the road lol!

Bookmarks & Social Networks