Rebuilt engine, first start and breakin - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #1
Fernando_221
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 79468
What I Drive: '06 ZX4 2.0L Dtec, '11 MK2.5 2.0L

FF Reputation: 3 Fernando_221 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Rebuilt engine, first start and breakin

Hello,

Do you have any suggestion for first start and breakin a rebuilt dtec engine?
Some people say to never leave the engine at idle at the first start (keep at min 1200~1300rpm), and to not go past 4000rpm and don't pull heavy loads on it.
All parts are std and new (bearings, pistons and rings) and the block is honed.
The reason for the rebuid was a hydrolock.

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 54 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
You pretty much got it. Fast idle for 10-15 minutes & check the temp.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 09-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
VEGAS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 75680
What I Drive: 2007 Focus

FF Reputation: 4 VEGAS Good Standing Member
use the oem motorcraft oil, not a 100% synthetic to break it in, then swap it out later.. I learned this the hard way.. after just 3 weeks I needed a new engine. synthetic didn't let the metal break in smooth and the oil just made its way past the system and no oil was found, took 3 engine techs inspecting the motor for 2 months to figure that out before they would warranty my engine.

My new engine is almost at 2000 miles and no issues yet..
Old 09-14-2012, 08:54 AM   #4
Fernando_221
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
You pretty much got it. Fast idle for 10-15 minutes & check the temp.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGAS View Post
use the oem motorcraft oil, not a 100% synthetic to break it in, then swap it out later.. I learned this the hard way.. after just 3 weeks I needed a new engine. synthetic didn't let the metal break in smooth and the oil just made its way past the system and no oil was found, took 3 engine techs inspecting the motor for 2 months to figure that out before they would warranty my engine.

Thanks for the tip, I was going to use synthetic 5w30. I'll look for a mineral 5w30.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:34 AM   #5
VEGAS
Focus Enthusiast

5/20 bro, Not 5/30

5/30 is thicker when hotter and thus will wear harder, not wear harder on metal but making more pressure hurting seals...

Stick with OEM 5w20

Unless your in the desert in summer and only for the 3 months when its 110 degrees.. then 5w30
or even better, a oil cooler..

by using thicker oil you loose 1 to 2 mpg due to drag of thicker oil. increases pressure on seals aswell

If your in a tempered climate, say 30f to 90f stick with 5w20, IF your in Canada in winter where under zero is normal then 0w20 for 2 or 3 of the coldest months...

when oil is cold it can be like soft serve ice cream, not good, then is why they make engine block heaters to keep oil thinner and keep anti freeze from freezing.

also I took this from off the web.. I agree with him...

Quote:
Also consider the automaker's push for fuel economy. Thinner oil will yield better fuel economy but protect less. This is a gross simplification and I don't feel like writing a paper explaining the reasons behind this. Rumor has it that the switch was for fuel economy reasons. I suspect this may be partially true. I imagine that they did wear tests that demonstrated that the 20 weight oil provided adequate protection. The only downside to using 5w30 instead of 5W20 is a slight hit in fuel economy. At some point adding even thicker oil than 5w30 will cause bad things like seals to blow out due to the increased pressure of pumping the thicker oil. Also it's possible in this case that higher wear could result from the oil being too thick for the pumping system to get it to the parts that need lubricated. On a typically 4 cylinder I would guess that the bad things wouldn't happen until you get close to a 50 weight oil or thicker.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:30 AM   #6
Fernando_221
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
5/20 bro, Not 5/30

5/30 is thicker when hotter and thus will wear harder, not wear harder on metal but making more pressure hurting seals...

Stick with OEM 5w20

Unless your in the desert in summer and only for the 3 months when its 110 degrees.. then 5w30
or even better, a oil cooler..

by using thicker oil you loose 1 to 2 mpg due to drag of thicker oil. increases pressure on seals aswell

If your in a tempered climate, say 30f to 90f stick with 5w20, IF your in Canada in winter where under zero is normal then 0w20 for 2 or 3 of the coldest months...

when oil is cold it can be like soft serve ice cream, not good, then is why they make engine block heaters to keep oil thinner and keep anti freeze from freezing.

also I took this from off the web.. I agree with him...
So, I live in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Here it's hot.
Here it's 80f to 100f for 8... 9 months. The other 3~4 months makes 70f to 80f. 60f is very rare.

I've never seen mineral 5w20 here, only synthetics. What brands I should look for minerals 5w20?
Old 09-14-2012, 11:36 AM   #7
VEGAS
Focus Enthusiast

motorcraft
Old 09-14-2012, 03:40 PM   #8
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Break-in motors oils, that is a can of worms.
Here is some good info from an engineer and engine builder on a different forum, who has done an impressive amount of oil analysis and testing on his own:
http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32471
Old 09-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #9
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Quote:

Your engine problem had absolutely zero to do with synthetic motor oil.
Whomever rebuilt your engine made a mistake somewhere, the origins of the motor oil's base stock were not the cause.

Manufacturers have been shipping most of the high performance cars with synthetic oil from the factory for many years now. Proper ring seating is 90% dependent on the surface finish on the bores.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:49 PM   #10
VEGAS
Focus Enthusiast

Factory motors are prepped differently then reman motors, factory is much better, performance motors are better then remans..

The official excuse is that the regular motor oil does 2 things
is its not as slick so promotes better wear in, and the #1 reason is if there is a issue the synthetic will not burn the same, so you see no smoke if there is a issue.
This is where I have 1st had experience. I had a misty oil film on my inner exhaustion yet no smoke. Smoke may have alerted me to a issue before the engine blew up.

The engine never had a issue, the vent at the top of the motor at high RPM sucked the oil into the intake and burned it up, I learned the hard way that do not use vent at the top of the Valve cover, plug the hole on the intake and use a oil catch can or filter to vent the valve cover since the OEM 2.0L does not fit the 2.3L

I have no oil issues now doing this.

Does not hurt in any way to break in motor with regular oil and switch after 1st oil change.

I will get a Picture asap

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->