Plz help....ford code p0036 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-11-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
lee_n_co
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103704
What I Drive: 2005, blue, focus

FF Reputation: 1 lee_n_co Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Exclamation Plz help....ford code p0036

Can any one plz help me out, i have a 2005 (new shape) ford focus
(3dr hatch 1.6 petrol zetec T model) and the engine managment has came on, got it on the computer but no code came up so just cleared it, no problems for 2 weeks then same again, light is on again but there is no problems with the running of the car, i floored the car to blast any crap out of the exhaust to see if that was a problem and the light went off for a hour or so making me think its a exhaust sensor, light has come back on now and will not go off, took it back to a garage and it come up with a code p0036-HEATED OXYGEN SENSOR HEATER CONTROL CIRCULT BANK 1 SENSOR 2
ive asked ware do i find this sensor and the garage told me the top of the manifold but there is 2 there and he wasnt sure witch one it was so ive been to the parts shop to see how much there are, the shop is saying there are 4 of theses sensors 2 at the front of the exhaust and 2 at the back, i am tight on cash and need a cheap fix so cannot aford to change all 4 sensors can some one plz help me out witch one do i change, i will have a go at doing it my self if some one can help me out..............plzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2012, 11:48 PM   #2
04 Ol' Blue SVT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97771
What I Drive: 2004 Sonic Blue SVT

Points 765, Level 14
Points: 765, Level: 14 Points: 765, Level: 14 Points: 765, Level: 14
Level Up 65% Completed
Level up: 65% Level up: 65% Level up: 65%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 04 Ol' Blue SVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
If i'm not mistaken Bank 1 Sensor 2 is the 2nd sensor.

Here is a link I found on the code.
http://engine-codes.com/p0036.html
Old 09-14-2012, 08:08 AM   #3
lee_n_co
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103704
What I Drive: 2005, blue, focus

FF Reputation: 1 lee_n_co Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
If i'm not mistaken Bank 1 Sensor 2 is the 2nd sensor. ??
sorry that doent make sence to me
can you explain in simple turms if i under the bonnet looking at the engine ware do i find this sensor at the front or back of the car and is it on the drivers side or the other
Old 09-14-2012, 08:43 AM   #4
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,903, Level 66
Points: 9,903, Level: 66 Points: 9,903, Level: 66 Points: 9,903, Level: 66
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee_n_co View Post
If i'm not mistaken Bank 1 Sensor 2 is the 2nd sensor. ??
sorry that doent make sence to me
can you explain in simple turms if i under the bonnet looking at the engine ware do i find this sensor at the front or back of the car and is it on the drivers side or the other
This would be the Oxygen sensor behind the catalyst. Bank 1 is the first bank of cylinders (in this case on an inline 4 there is only one bank of cylinders, but a v6,v8, v10, or v12 would all have two banks of cylinders.

There are usually two oxygen sensors in the exhaust stream. If the second one is faulting out either the sensor is bad, or the catalyst is not performing correctly due to other problems with the car killing it by flooding it with fuel or something. If its not detecting a change in resistance between sensor 1 (in front of the cat.) and sensor 2 which is behind the cat it flags a trouble code to say the catalyst is not working properly.

http://www.permoveo.ltd.uk/tabid/122...d/Default.aspx

"What does this mean?
OBD Code P0036refers to
Oxygen Sensors (O2S) or Heated Oxygen Sensors (HO2S) need to reach a minimum operating temperature of 750 degrees F to produce an accurate voltage signal. The faster the heated oxygen sensor reaches that temperature the faster the sensor will start sending an accurate signal to the Engine Control Module (ECM). In order to achieve the require temperature, a heater element is included inside the heated oxygen sensor. The ECM controls the heated oxygen sensor heater element based on signals from the engine coolant temperature and engine load. The ECM controls the heater element circuit by allowing current flow to ground. The ECM monitors the voltage signal received through the heater element circuit and determines the state of the circuit by comparing the voltage detected with the factory specifications.
Symptoms
Possible sumptoms of OBD code P0036
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
Causes
Possible causes of OBD code P0036
- Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 1 Sensor 2 circuit open shorted to ground - Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 1 Sensor 2 circuit poor electrical connection - Faulty Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 1 Sensor 2 circuit - Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 1 Sensor 2 circuit fuse - Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM) The Error code is generally activated on detection of the following conditions: The P0036 is set when the ECM detects an open or shorted to ground condition on the heated oxygen sensor heater circuit
Possible Solutions
The code means that there is a problem with the heater element circuit of the heated oxygen sensor. Water getting inside the heated oxygen sensor connector can caused the heated oxygen sensor fuse to blow, which is a very common problem for this type codes. Before replacing the sensor, check for the condition of the heated oxygen sensor fuse and connectors. HO2S Heater Control Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 2 is the generic definition for the P0036; however your vehicle's manufacturer may have a different definition and information for the P0036 code. "

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.