LensDriven's 09' Coupe sorta-kinda-build thread - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom

Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom Post pictures and information of your Focus being built or your car images here. We want to see your Focus! More Images: Visit Our Online Ford Focus Gallery

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-02-2013, 05:57 AM   #1
LensDriven
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 111184
What I Drive: 2006 Blk ZX4 SES, 2009 Blu Coupe SE

FF Reputation: 1 LensDriven Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
LensDriven's 09' Coupe sorta-kinda-build thread

Figured it was time to start a sorta-build thread because she's come along in the little over 2 months since I drove her home. Gotts to show it off a little!

I bought my 09 from a member here in April. I bought er sight-unseen and flew 1200 miles to drive her home. Yeah, I know, risky... but I can't tell you how much I love this color and body style- and there wasn't another that was viewable even close to what I had to spend... so I rolled the dice.

It all started with my husband and I buying an 06 ZX4 with SAP in march. That was to be my car, my husband had his cherokee. Well, he started taking my focus to work to save gas money and decided he loved that car more than his jeep. He wanted to sell his jeep to buy his own focus. So we put his up for sale and started looking. Found this one on here and, well- I liked it! So I told him he should buy this he was interested, but I guess he was already having a secret love affair with my car, and besides he had all his stuff in it! So in the end, he took my Black 06 and we bought this for me. He love's the 06 about as much as I love this car- so we'er set.

I've got to say, this car has the least wrong with it upon purchase I think out of almost any car I've ever bought. Although, to an outsider, it had a few issues a lot of people wouldn't have wanted in a car purchase, the deal was beneficial to the seller an I in that we both had loans...The issues really weren't anything that couldn't be tackled. Turned out all my brakes- pads, rotors, shoes (drums were fine) had to be replaced, and the wheels were out of round, a few odds and ends needed to be corrected, she needed a bath pronto. Little bit of paint restoration here and there... but its like a different car now! Spent a bit more than I'd planned, but I've definetly enjoyed doing it.

She came with a 2.5'' F2 catback, Steeda STS, saleen knob, Focal wheels, painted interior, aftermarket speakers, 85k miles...

I graduated a couple of weeks after buying it and had too much time on my hands. So I've actually gotten a lot of what I wanted to do done, so all I have left on my list are smaller things.

So, onto the pictures:

When I bought my focus, she looked like this. The seller was kind enough to put the stock springs back on for me because the H&R's that were on it were getting a bit worn. So it looked like this, minus the low and interior electronics.

So, I took 3 days driving home adventuring off the highway.. Had a lot of time getting to know the car and think about what my plans were :)

It rained most of the trip back and this is where I decided what I would do first- the car came with retrofitted HID's and a visor across the top of the windshield. The visor came off at a walmart parking lot in TN because I wanted to see the scenery on my drive through the smokies! And the HID's were the first to go, because I could not see a damn thing in the rain at night going 70 (don't bash me! I have issues with contrast! ).

The first thing I did, the very next day after getting home, was take the plastidip off the spoiler and give her a good wash and wax (don't mind the turtle wax, it was all I had at the moment). Then a thorough scrub of the interior, and plastics dressing galore. She cleaned up nicely. I was able to buff out the red marks from the picture above, leaving only a single longish scratch.

The following weekend is when I discoved the issues with and fixed the brakes. Then got started on the aesthetics stuff.

First I un-retrofitted the HID's in the heads and fogs and swapped in some black headlight housings because the housings that were on it had stress cracking in the plastic (I think because of the tint film maybe). Then I painted the grill gloss black to match the housings and to start hiding the sad appearance of the front emblem.

Next I started tackling the paint: clayed, compounded, polished and waxed every square inch, steam cleaned the interior, put the interior back to stock from the blue painted theme. I started using Dr. Colorchip to fix some rock chips and discovered if you really finess it, you can get a decent repair on larger imperfections. You can still see where the paint flaws were, but they aren't screaming out for attention any more, which is fine for me. I also removed the nightshades off the rear lights after discovering my reflectors weren't as visible when I was off the road shooting at night.

Whoo... So, after all that, I felt she needed some upgrades, all that work just to get her my kind of pretty and nothing major to show for it! :)

So, first I added an Airaid SRI and autolite 103's, then got the bright idea that I needed a rear sway bar. And because I think I live in a another universe sometimes, I could have sworn I didn't already have a rear sway bar so I bought the Steeda 21mm kit one and discovered I did, in fact, already have a rear sway bar . What do you want, it was a long week and it rained a lot, and well, I woulda lost my head if it wasn't screwed on... So I installed the RSB anyway because it was 21mm vs the stock 18mm that was on it.

While adding the 103's I discovered a slight valve cover seep...

Now, I was about to start trying to add a sub, and perhaps going to buy a front strut brace when I discovered all of my wheels were out of round.. After looking at a million wheels for a week, I was finally convinced that a set of Team Dynamics was what I wanted. Ordered a set of 1.2's in anthracite and had them on the car the following week. MAN, I LOVE these things. I wasn't too sure at first, but after seeing them in person.. yeah...

And that allowed me to finnaly make up my mind about a TFB emblem color! Now all the chrome is covered too! They came a bit lighter gray than it looked on their site, I thought it would be closer to the wheels.

So... Now I wanted to paint the interior. My first though, I WANT FUNKY. So I made a run at plastidip blaze purple with silver metalizer. Problem with that was that the metalizer sheds glitter EVERYWHERE, and after 2 days I couldn't stand it. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the glitter off the armrest

It started with this picture I saw on the net

So I peeled that off and made an attempt at making it look like scrap metal. Problem is, I used hammered paint and plastidip. I guess hammered paint is hard to dry and doesn't like plastidip because the paint is still soft even a week later. So I'm going to try stripping it and.. I dont know... something. It looks cool though.

Most recently- my nice new TD wheels made me rethink lowering it. I originally didn't want to, but a whole lot of reading convinced me otherwise- I really wanted better handling and these wheels just screamed for a nicer stance. I decided on the FRPP ZX3B springs and dampers because they were Ford, bolt up, gave a moderate 1.5'' and cheap! I managed to track the springs down which seem to be scarce... Got it on this past weekend in between the rain with the help of my Husband's friend at his shop... because I'd never done it before and was intimidated by the job BUT now I've seen it done, I think I could do it myself in the future.

Here's the kit installed:

Before:

After:

I really need some better pictures of it now that all that's done and the springs have settled a bit more... But it has rained every stinking day lately. I will come back and add better pics soon though!

Now that all that's done, my future plans are:

-Add a rear dome light, or lighting back there of some sort. I really want it to function with the dome light, like fade out, on with the doors and the dash switch.

-Add trunk button. Found a write up about how to do this, but I would like to find the kick panel that has the place for the button on the newer ones and replace my kick panel with it- so it will look stock.

-My tail lights don't match my headlights now, So I'm either going to A: open them and paint the trim black or B: nightshade just the outter trim area then nightshade the front side markers to match the style.

-Do something else with my dash pieces

-Would like to add a sub, looking into how to make it look stock though. I really like most things to look OEM+ rather than all out modded- so this might take a bit of work.

-I need to add TPMS's back onto the wheels- holding out for a deal, it isn't worth $300 to me.

-Do the valve cover seal

EDIT: adding to the todo list-
-paint drums and calipers black to make my wheels prettier

-fix my newly aquired camber issues, I'm up to -2.1 in the back

Not too bad a to-do list!

Anyway, that's ma focus so far... I can't even say how much I love my car. I mean really, I'm still giddy about going out to the driveway to mess with it or go driving. I've had a few other cars I've loved as much- there was always that one glaring issue. Like my wranger and it's lack of a/c or my wagoneer and its 8mpg... but this, I have no issues like that. Sure, having a 2 door is a pain in the butt when everyone wants to go in my car... and I sound like a jerk when I'm yelling at people to be carefull getting in, but I love the coupe style and that is no where near the same kind of issues as not having a/c! And coupe versions of these are so rare down here- I get to stand out a little too! :)

Last edited by LensDriven; 07-16-2013 at 05:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
ThaKillerKlown
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 73791
What I Drive: '11 SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 ThaKillerKlown Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I think the changes you have made looks great... Fantastic write up too! Where did you end up finding springs and how much were they?
Old 07-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #3
1slofofo
Adam

Fan#: 92422
What I Drive: Mk3

FF Reputation: 6 1slofofo Good Standing Member
Nice, I like how you reverted to stock, and did it up your way. Very nice car, and color choice
Old 07-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
LensDriven
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks! Yeah, the focus had been the most payoff for work done I think I've ever had in a vehicle.

@thakillerklown: I got them at fordracingparts123.com. It was $340 total after shipping for all the parts. They rock! The parts were in stock and they shipped the same day I ordered. Even sent me non automated messages for the shipping and tracking. I think the springs (M-5560-ZX3B) were $134 by themselves and the dampers (M-18000-ZX3B) were $165.

I love this set up! I didn't have to sacrifice ride quality, but the car feels a heck of a lot stickier and stable, the drop was just enough to give even wheel gap all the way around. Some people said they bottomed these out a lot- but seriously, they must be driving like madmen, I haven't been able to bottom them out even trying within normal conditions. The set up is perfect for a daily street driven focus. Definetly firmer than stock, but just enough to make it not feel like an economy car anymore.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #5
badazz2010focus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 78166
What I Drive: 2010 ingot silver 2 dr 5 speed

FF Reputation: 7 badazz2010focus Good Standing Member
is she dropped yet? erm nm I just looked up LOL!
Old 07-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #6
LensDriven
Focus Enthusiast

I was about to say... haha...
Old 07-03-2013, 06:32 PM   #7
_fifth_
Focus Addict

Fan#: 72683
What I Drive: oh-sicks Silver ZX4

FF Reputation: 4 _fifth_ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Coming along quite nicely! I really love how you're doing it your own way. I'm super interested to see where you take your mods!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miragesmack View Post
Yeah, too many hatches. When the sedans take over, all will be good!
Old 07-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #8
Red Jay 918
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 79277
What I Drive: 2010 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 7 Red Jay 918 Good Standing Member
do you have ZX3B springs or ZXM1? love how it looks lowered by the way!
Old 07-04-2013, 12:24 AM   #9
04ZTSJelf
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100701
What I Drive: 04 D23 Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 04ZTSJelf Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Wow, I really like how it's looking! The coupe is that oddball Focus but they can be so cool, like this one.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:53 AM   #10
LensDriven
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by _fifth_ View Post
Coming along quite nicely! I really love how you're doing it your own way. I'm super interested to see where you take your mods!
Thank you... Haha, we'll see... Right now, I'm tryin to remove my crappy paint job on the dash pieces. Don't know what do with it after. Getting there:

And I found some new center parts from the junk yard. So I only gotta clean the outter dash parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Jay 918 View Post
do you have ZX3B springs or ZXM1? love how it looks lowered by the way!
I tracked down the zx3b springs. After a lot of research and asking around here, it seemed the zxm1's weren't the best choice because of being progressive- it was said that they may be too harsh for these dampers. Could get the zxm1 dampers for $450, but those are progressive- meant more for a track application. As per Rambleon84's advice here: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=319503 I really don't want to chnage springs again any time soon so I wanted a setup if be happy with the first time. Definetly happy with these. Only thing I was missing was the upper bushings and nuts because I had a after market shocks on the back- $6 at ford and the nuts from Home Depot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04ZTSJelf View Post
Wow, I really like how it's looking! The coupe is that oddball Focus but they can be so cool, like this one.
Haha, I know- it is kinda oddball, short run too. The clean lines really appeal to my OCD streak though. It's got the shape of a little mini mustang on a diet! Thank you! Really need to get some proper pictures up here. Rain!! still..

Bookmarks & Social Networks