DCT Complaints Thread - Page 8 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #71
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

Points 5,811, Level 49
Points: 5,811, Level: 49 Points: 5,811, Level: 49 Points: 5,811, Level: 49
Level Up 31% Completed
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by revhigh View Post
revhigh
My bad, you're right. But I would call the Dart's ratings (2.0L, auto) abysmal. Lower than pretty much any current gen midsize sedan out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2012, 09:27 AM   #72
jdetzel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102548
What I Drive: 2012 White Titanium Hatchback

Points 156, Level 3
Points: 156, Level: 3 Points: 156, Level: 3 Points: 156, Level: 3
Level Up 12% Completed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 jdetzel Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
I would have to wonder how its possible on a transmission with a 150k service interval that you managed to need a new twin disk clutch pack in less than 12k miles. That was a service life of 8% of the initial estimate provided. With my old car which was a normal manual transmission with 191k miles on it when I bought it and unknown wear on the clutch (it had grabbed good from day one until after I stopped driving it for my new Focus), I had put over 44000 miles on it under all sorts of driving conditions including heavy stop and go traffic and I never needed to replace the clutch. I was considering it as a precaution since the state was unknown, but I got rid of the car before it was necessary.

If a computer is shifting the gearbox and the programming was correct it would have a far smaller chance of constantly slipping the clutch or grinding gears than a human would. However that being said one can't discount the possibility of it being a badly built unit, or perhaps there was a leaky seal in the gearbox that finally destroyed the clutch pack. Oil will kill the clutch disks easily.

You say you were frightened by a "roll back" which is a characteristic of all manual transmissions when you don't give it enough throttle to over come gravity and it rolls backwards briefly before moving forward. That should not have been a surprise had the dealer informed you truthfully that the automatic in this car was different from the one in your last car, but alas most are just interested in the sale no matter what.

Do you have a tendency to either left foot brake or creep up hills at 1-2 mph a lot? Those may cause issues with the car.

Yes I understand that Ford sells the car as an automatic and its your assumption that you should just drive it like any other car and not have any issues. I understand that its likely due to faulty mechanical components rather than driver error in many cases. I would just like to know how it was possible for a computer to be wrong so many times in 12000 miles that it would do more damage than even a moderately skilled driver with a normal clutch pedal/ normal manual gearbox.

At the end of the day there are many factors which influence the service life of components, from build tolerances to how they are used.

It would be annoying if not frustrating however if your concerns were being ignored/ falling on deaf ears. Its a good thing they are going to repair it under warranty if it was due to the car itself, but if its environmental then it may re-appear within 12000 miles.
Do you really think the clutch is worn out after 12k miles? Or is it more likely a case of the dealer trying to do something, anything to try make the transmission work better?
Old 09-13-2012, 09:46 AM   #73
jdetzel
Focus Enthusiast

Points 156, Level 3
Level Up 12% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Keep complaining - please

I do not know what Ford had in mind when they decided what to call it or what to disclose in advance to buyers. I looked at my window sticker and it reads “6-SPD AUTO TRANSMISSION” so officially they did not call it an “automatic”. I thought and believe most people would think “Auto” meant the car had a regular automatic transmission, you know the kind that uses the red stuff. Ford could have just told us up front it was not, kind of makes you wonder?

Well, shame on me for not picking up on Fords’ use of the word AUTO instead of AUTOMATIC and then grilling the sales person and running home to get on the internet to do hours of research to find out what exactly that meant. I am so stupid and such a lousy consumer. I deserve what I got, right? Of course Ford could have just told me up front, kind of makes you wonder?

The fact that I bought a car that has a transmission that is different from conventional automatic and acts differently is not a problem. Now I know what it is and I understand why it feels different when you take off from a stop. I think it is kind of a neat idea. It is different, it is special, and I like technology. A lot of the time it works very well. What I have a problem with is that a lot of the time it does not work very well, it jerks, it makes weird noises, it upshifts too soon and does not respond to throttle input and it leaves you with no power when you need to get out of the way because it will not downshift (unless you floor it and then it jerks more).

It works much better now but I was horrified when I first started driving it. I test drove it around the block before I bought it and I thought I may have noticed something but thought, no this is a brand new car. That and getting out of the Toyota Tundra I had been driving for the last 10 years I figured anything that small was going to feel weird for a while. I left the dealership around 6pm, went to the freeway to head home. Got off the freeway and then started driving around city streets in stop and go situations and experienced the jerking and shaking. I thought oh my gosh, the transmission is ready to tear apart in this thing.

I made plans to take it back to the dealer first thing in the morning. I pictured myself like the little old lady in the tire commercial throwing the tire through the window. And then thank goodness I found this forum. I found people who were complaining about their transmission, describing the symptoms they were experiencing and they were the same symptoms I was experiencing. I learned enough to know the transmission was probably not going to fall out onto the street and that I maybe I should try driving it for a while to see if it would get better. I did and it has.

So, reading other peoples complaints helped me greatly. I have complaints about the way my transmission works and I am going to complain about it and I am going to do it here. I will eventually go back to the dealer but for now I know the dealer does not know how to fix it because Ford had not figured out how to fix it. If someone has a problem with people complaining then avoid threads about complaints. But don’t complain about my complaining!
Old 09-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #74
Timthom62
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97579
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy 5-Door SEL 303A

Points 2,685, Level 31
Points: 2,685, Level: 31 Points: 2,685, Level: 31 Points: 2,685, Level: 31
Level Up 57% Completed
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 5 Timthom62 Good Standing Member
So far we've had debates about whether the idea of this thread was valid or not, we've had complaining about complaining and also complaining about complaining about complaining, and we've gone through our usual scholarly discussion or two of transmission theory, but has anyone posted an actual DCT complaint here yet? One that's not covered already in another thread of their own?

Maybe that's why people always start new threads when they have problems...
Old 09-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #75
BetaDnB
Drum n Bass Lover

Fan#: 87466
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SE Sport

Points 2,222, Level 28
Points: 2,222, Level: 28 Points: 2,222, Level: 28 Points: 2,222, Level: 28
Level Up 48% Completed
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 12 BetaDnB Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timthom62 View Post
So far we've had debates about whether the idea of this thread was valid or not, we've had complaining about complaining and also complaining about complaining about complaining, and we've gone through our usual scholarly discussion or two of transmission theory, but has anyone posted an actual DCT complaint here yet? One that's not covered already in another thread of their own?

Maybe that's why people always start new threads when they have problems...
I've been thinking about how comical it is that I created this thread for a specific reason, the thread has reached 7 pages and has a 5 star rating, yet not one person has brought an actual DCT complaint here. I wonder how long it will be before we see a new thread pop up about somebody's DCT issue.

...I tried.
Sedan Revolution #249 - 2012 SE Sport - ╠╬╝ - Ingot Silver - 201A - K&N w/ snorkel delete - Blox Type R Knob
Old 09-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #76
gambit293
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 103090
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SEL hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 gambit293 Good Standing Member
A lot of you may have already seen this, but I thought this article gave pretty fair treatment to the issue:

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...nsmission.html
Old 09-13-2012, 10:54 AM   #77
awsimons
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100921
What I Drive: Sonic Blue 2012 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 awsimons Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdetzel View Post
I do not know what Ford had in mind when they .... then avoid threads about complaints. But don’t complain about my complaining!
I am a defender of our DCT in this car. But, I am not 100% satisfied with it. I drove a manual for 13 years before I got my DCT Focus, so maybe I just miss my manual. Most of the time, it works great, but like alot of people note, this transmission is very quick to upshift. There are times when in my manual I would stay in 2nd or 3rd as I was approaching a corner so I could accelerate after turning. Our DCT tends to upshift through 2 gears in when coasting into a turn, then when you step on the gas, you're out of luck. Then, it takes a fine foot to know how far to press the accelerator to downshift one gear instead of two so it doesn't take over a second to get engagement again.

I haven't gotten 12B37 yet, so I'm not sure if this is still an issue. I also don't have SelectShift, which is probably my biggest regret in my car choice.

Alan
Mods: Debadged, 30% LLumar CTX Tint, MS3 RMM, Steeda RSB
Old 09-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #78
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95163
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 4 MyThIc3LiTe Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaDnB View Post
I've been thinking about how comical it is that I created this thread for a specific reason, the thread has reached 7 pages and has a 5 star rating, yet not one person has brought an actual DCT complaint here. I wonder how long it will be before we see a new thread pop up about somebody's DCT issue.

...I tried.
You did, but this is good too.

As long as people see the title, they can come here and vent and we can try and help and at least with all these posts we have a great source of information for such things.

http://www.aniteshjaswalphotography.com
If you live in Edmonton, AB I would be more then happy to do a shoot with you!
Old 09-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #79
jdetzel
Focus Enthusiast

Points 156, Level 3
Level Up 12% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaDnB View Post

...I tried.
I posted a DCT complaint.
Kaaru posted a DCT complaint.
Jagreen is having a clutch replaced in their DCT.
Kam327 posted a DCT complaint.
You are complaining on a thread for DCT complaints but not about your DCT. Why don't you start a tread about that? Maybe you can save us all or at worst you can just throw up your arms again and say “I tried”
I love your condescending attitude.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:39 AM   #80
BetaDnB
Drum n Bass Lover

Fan#: 87466
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SE Sport

Points 2,222, Level 28
Points: 2,222, Level: 28 Points: 2,222, Level: 28 Points: 2,222, Level: 28
Level Up 48% Completed
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 12 BetaDnB Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdetzel View Post
I love your condescending attitude.

Why would I complain about my DCT? I don't have one. See sig? I made this thread for those of you with problems. Must I have a DCT to make such a thread? Ok, a few have posted their complaints... a very few. Why are you getting all defensive?
Sedan Revolution #249 - 2012 SE Sport - ╠╬╝ - Ingot Silver - 201A - K&N w/ snorkel delete - Blox Type R Knob

Bookmarks & Social Networks