DCT Complaints Thread - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-11-2012, 05:41 PM   #11
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 87742
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ti Sedan

Points 1,491, Level 21
Points: 1,491, Level: 21 Points: 1,491, Level: 21 Points: 1,491, Level: 21
Level Up 91% Completed
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 copernicium112 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
What is DCT? Kidding, I kid.

I've never had a problem with mine and the way this thread is going, everyone, myself included, putting their 0.02 in the only thing that won't show up in this thread is people actually complaining about their DCT. Perhaps they are saving the complaints for other unrelated threads?
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2012, 07:08 PM   #12
BetaDnB
Drum n Bass Lover

Fan#: 87466
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SE Sport

Points 2,224, Level 28
Points: 2,224, Level: 28 Points: 2,224, Level: 28 Points: 2,224, Level: 28
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 12 BetaDnB Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by copernicium112 View Post
What is DCT? Kidding, I kid.

I've never had a problem with mine and the way this thread is going, everyone, myself included, putting their 0.02 in the only thing that won't show up in this thread is people actually complaining about their DCT. Perhaps they are saving the complaints for other unrelated threads?
I like your style. Hopefully with the word "complaint" in the thread topic it will still show up in searches.
Sedan Revolution #249 - 2012 SE Sport - ╠╬╝ - Ingot Silver - 201A - K&N w/ snorkel delete - Blox Type R Knob
Old 09-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #13
Visioned
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93729
What I Drive: 2012, Red Candy, Focus SE

FF Reputation: -1 Visioned Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Hey look! It's another thread about DCT!!
Old 09-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #14
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95163
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 4 MyThIc3LiTe Good Standing Member
Complaints about the DCT in a thread about complaints on the DCT.

My department of redundancy department is bristling in anticipation.

http://www.aniteshjaswalphotography.com
If you live in Edmonton, AB I would be more then happy to do a shoot with you!
Old 09-11-2012, 09:46 PM   #15
milkweed
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 40906
What I Drive: 2007 ford focus zx3 red

Points 732, Level 14
Points: 732, Level: 14 Points: 732, Level: 14 Points: 732, Level: 14
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 milkweed Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
i don't have any issues with my DCT.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #16
gambit293
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 103090
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SEL hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 gambit293 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyThIc3LiTe View Post

Your fault if you didn't properly understand what you paid money for.
I think that's being a bit harsh. Let's be honest here: to most people, there are automatics and there are manuals. Heck, I'd bet that many people don't even really understand what a transmission even does, let alone relatively new tech like a DCT. Does that mean that they shouldn't drive cars? It's not as if Ford draws particular attention to the different characteristics of a DCT when selling the car to you.

As for myself, I intentionally testdrove the DCT having read various consumer reviews complaining about the transmission. During the testdrive, I decided up front that I could live with the quirks. It's only been a few weeks, but so far I'm generally fine with its behavior.

I tend to notice the hesitation much more in reverse. That will take some getting used to. Also, the car seems to idle a bit roughly. Not sure if that is a tranny or just plain engine issue.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:11 PM   #17
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95163
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 4 MyThIc3LiTe Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gambit293 View Post
I think that's being a bit harsh. Let's be honest here: to most people, there are automatics and there are manuals. Heck, I'd bet that many people don't even really understand what a transmission even does, let alone relatively new tech like a DCT. Does that mean that they shouldn't drive cars? It's not as if Ford draws particular attention to the different characteristics of a DCT when selling the car to you.

As for myself, I intentionally testdrove the DCT having read various consumer reviews complaining about the transmission. During the testdrive, I decided up front that I could live with the quirks. It's only been a few weeks, but so far I'm generally fine with its behavior.

I tend to notice the hesitation much more in reverse. That will take some getting used to. Also, the car seems to idle a bit roughly. Not sure if that is a tranny or just plain engine issue.
Fair enough.

It's just that I spent quite a few weeks researching and driving, spending 30k was no easy task.

Previous exposure to MFT made it easy for me to deal with its quirks and my repeated sessions with the DCT left me happy. Not that I had a choice, when I purchased, the MT Titanium was only a pipe dream.

http://www.aniteshjaswalphotography.com
If you live in Edmonton, AB I would be more then happy to do a shoot with you!
Old 09-11-2012, 10:37 PM   #18
jdetzel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102548
What I Drive: 2012 White Titanium Hatchback

Points 156, Level 3
Points: 156, Level: 3 Points: 156, Level: 3 Points: 156, Level: 3
Level Up 12% Completed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 jdetzel Good Standing Member
So, this is the thread for people to complain about people who complain about the DCT.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:46 PM   #19
Timthom62
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97579
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy 5-Door SEL 303A

Points 2,699, Level 31
Points: 2,699, Level: 31 Points: 2,699, Level: 31 Points: 2,699, Level: 31
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 5 Timthom62 Good Standing Member
When we bought our first Focus a year ago, I'd done a considerable amount of research on the car in general and the DCT in particular including a lot of time reading the threads that were active here on the subject at the time. Our salesman went to great lengths to explain the DCT and and during out 30 mile test drive spent about ten minutes going over specific differences from a normal automatic. Then, when we went back last April to buy our second Focus, he gave me the same speech word for word.

Not everyone has the time to invest in the research or the car experience to understand it if they did. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have a salesman who is as technically sharp and as concerned about the customer being happy as we did. More importantly, not everyone cares about the differences until something goes wrong. Then they come here.

While we've been fortunate not to experience any problems with our DCTs, that doesn't mean that there aren't people whose transmissions have real problems. That much should be clear to anyone who has been here for any length of time. Ford knows this and continues to work on the issues. They've got too much invested in the DCT not to.

The people who have problems need a place to go to bring up their issues rather than starting a thousand new threads about it. If we have one place for them to do so, it's more likely Ford won't miss seeing it.

I think the idea of this thread, and having it as a sticky, are good ones. If I were to change anything about it, I would have named it:

"The Focus Automatic Transmission (DCT) Problem/Complaint/Issue/Question/Update Thread"

That way nobody could miss it.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:51 PM   #20
Kaaru
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96763
What I Drive: '12 Oxford Wh. SEL Sedan 28/07/2011

FF Reputation: 1 Kaaru Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyThIc3LiTe View Post
Your fault if you didn't properly understand what you paid money for.
That's a bit harsch indeed. In order to fully understand what I have paid for, it has to be fully understood by the sales people in order to them to explain it to me before I put my signature at the bottom on the sales act. Seriously, if my salesman would have told me all the quirks and behavior of the DCT, I would have purchased another car.

And oh, yeah, I did test drive twice. One time I test drove it by doing my comute back and forth. No problems. I test drove it another time on the highway, again no noticable weird behavior.

Back in october 2011 there wasnt as much information about the DCT floating around for the regular Joe that I am. The damm thing was sold to me as an automatic. I was expecting the car to behave like an automatic. Hell, the sales people were probably less informed than some of you guys.

I now understand that DCT's are becomming a new trend, so, my next car will probably be equiped by such a ''feature''. Hopefully, the next one will benefit from what Ford is going tru right now. My previous car had a CVT with a shifttronic feature. The thing was solid, smooth and deliverd as expercted. I'm NOT bashing Ford or ALL of the Focus's around. Mine isnt just going well and is a source of frustration and worryness. It's hard to swallow when you shed 29K for a car that doesnt deliver.

Oh and by the way, I did the air filter swap last weekend. Didnt see any change in the behavior of the car. Weather is slowly getting fresher and cooler, so the car boggs less and seems to better perform in cool weather. DCT affected by heat/cool...I think not. It must be sensor related or something else. My uneducated 2 cents about my issues: It looks like the trottle message from the gaz pedal doesnt go correclty to the engine.

We'll see. I'll be happy to report back when someone at Ford or my dealer finds whatever is wrong with Gertrude.

/end rant

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.