Whats your take on Pulstar Plugs - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #11
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 47 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
The other day my dyno friend and I were talking about testing some different plugs and gaps to see where power is optimized. It's not uncommon for people to see increases (or decreases) from changing off of the OEM plug and gap, to the point that the serious hp/drag freaks even go as far as indexing them within the cylinder.

Good job

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #12
jfsiutza
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97007
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE Hatch Tuxedo Blk

FF Reputation: 1 jfsiutza Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
And most hardcore drag racers use copper too!! Well Pulstar will be posting official hp gains and product fitments in the next month. should be after i do the final dyno run.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:18 PM   #13
dyn085
That Guy

I'm interested in how it turns out and will be following the thread. Thanks for doing the testing

September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 09-15-2012, 12:23 AM   #14
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
My opinion is there a waste of time and money , I tested then on the Zetec and the early duratec as well as with boost , nothing that I could say was from the plugs , a set of new coppers made the same power as well as a new set of stock plugs new all tested at the same time , I choose the copper because there 1 step cooler and thats good for performance adders

Any time you install a new plug you get better performance , you will see a 1-3 HP gain going from a copper with 5000 miles on it to a new copper of the same kind and gap

2HP is very hard to 100% test for and to say , that 2 HP came from X that we added , a 5 deg temp and humidity change will be 2 HP , chage in how the fan is blowing on the engine can be 2HP

With out testing a new set of stock NEW plugs gapped the same , copper NEW plugs , Autolight XP or AR non plat or irid plugs then the puls star you will never know how good any one plug is and thats takes days on the dyno and weeks if not months of driving

I am sorry but this test proves nothing because there was no base test or proper dyno testing done

Sounds like puls star needed a gini-pig to make there product look good like they tried to do with me , when they didnt get the gains they wanted they stopped talking to me

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 09-15-2012, 12:54 AM   #15
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
i thought those were lawnmower plugs....
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 09-15-2012, 05:24 AM   #16
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
My opinion is there a waste of time and money , I tested then on the Zetec and the early duratec as well as with boost , nothing that I could say was from the plugs , a set of new coppers made the same power as well as a new set of stock plugs new all tested at the same time , I choose the copper because there 1 step cooler and thats good for performance adders

Any time you install a new plug you get better performance , you will see a 1-3 HP gain going from a copper with 5000 miles on it to a new copper of the same kind and gap

2HP is very hard to 100% test for and to say , that 2 HP came from X that we added , a 5 deg temp and humidity change will be 2 HP , chage in how the fan is blowing on the engine can be 2HP

With out testing a new set of stock NEW plugs gapped the same , copper NEW plugs , Autolight XP or AR non plat or irid plugs then the puls star you will never know how good any one plug is and thats takes days on the dyno and weeks if not months of driving

I am sorry but this test proves nothing because there was no base test or proper dyno testing done

Sounds like puls star needed a gini-pig to make there product look good like they tried to do with me , when they didnt get the gains they wanted they stopped talking to me

Tom
Exactly.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:03 AM   #17
dyn085
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post

Tom
We can easily discount everything that a member does to try and help the community, but at least he has done something. Those whom know what to look for will know how to tell the difference in dyno runs, but to automatically discount information with graphs unseen doesn't really help the community.

No, we aren't going to see a ton of power with a plug change. No, I'm not going to believe manufacturer graphs until I have back-to-back pulls on my own car. But having a baseline of customer satisfaction information may be the only way to start. If the member feels as though they make the car feel better, maybe there is merit to future testing. Does that mean that it is definitely better and not just placebo? Only the person who is actually doing testing will know.

By simply resetting my system on my last set of runs I lost a few hp/tq. If this member may have seen a couple before allowing LTFT's to adjust, there very well could be merit. Is it worth the cost? Idk. Again, without further testing then we won't know.

September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 09-15-2012, 08:33 AM   #18
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
It is good to have the brave try out things for us who can't afford to "try" things so yes,carry on and I'll watch this thread but I'd need to see solid gains to throw money at plugs.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:14 AM   #19
dyn085
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaiden View Post
It is good to have the brave try out things for us who can't afford to "try" things so yes,carry on and I'll watch this thread but I'd need to see solid gains to throw money at plugs.
I agree with needing to see solid gains. Without knowing exact pricing it's difficult to say, but just the little info I've seen indicate a high cost and therefor would need to produce a decent gain. They claim 50k miles, which can spread the cost out a bit, but overall right now I'm just curious.

September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 09-18-2012, 07:20 AM   #20
2kwik4u
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102523
What I Drive: '12-Sonic Blue-5dr/5spd/203A/Roof

FF Reputation: 1 2kwik4u Good Standing Member
Was there before/after testing on the same dyno and same day/time frame? Air quality (temperature, humidity, barometer, elevation) can have as much impact as a spark plug in my experience.

Whats the tolerance that the Dyno can measure to? If it's +/-5hp, then a 2hp gain is not attributed to anything but randomness. If it's +/-1/2hp, then a 2hp gain could be considered accurate.

A bunch of "little things" can add up to one "big thing", but to measure each "little thing" along the way is difficult, especially when using quantitative terms as subjective as "I have much better throttle response".

Just some thoughts.

Bookmarks & Social Networks