Project ST - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom

Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom Post pictures and information of your Focus being built or your car images here. We want to see your Focus! More Images: Visit Our Online Ford Focus Gallery

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-12-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
Swing
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 128258
What I Drive: 2002, Focus ST200

FF Reputation: 2 Swing Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Project ST

So this is my project. At first I d like to thank my friend Yoshi who made my dreams come true.

So now lets start at the beginning:

So this is it. A grey and very day to day focus right before we got our hands dirty. Before this I made a little sketch how it could look one day.

We wanted to go for a widebody on this one. I suggested we buy an aftermarket widebodykit and install it on the car, but my friend just declined that and said we want to build a custom one here, nothing anyone could install, so my ride would stand out.

I mean it would already stand out with a widebody but what he wanted to do was somehow awesome but also unbelievable. I didnt see that happening and I had some concerns but I gave it a go. So we ordered track-widening-plates.

It was clear that we had to wrap the widebody around the track-widening-plates and of course the rims so it doesent look dull.

Some first results how wide it would be:

As you can see we started to cut away some parts of the front-fender.

The next step widening the first fender so we would have a pattern of how we would do the other fender and the quarterpanels.

This first attempt to line up with the front and the splitter were scrapped later and redesigned.

As you can see it was shaping up pretty much. In addition I d like to point out that we builded up the whole bodykit from sheets of metal. So nothing you do fast in a weekend.

First Front-Fender is finished now only 3 more to go :)

The second Front-Fender only took us half the time because we knew what to do now. Still to that date we already spent like 50 workhours on the ride.

Now its time to build the Quarterpanels and make them wide.

During that we came up with the sideskirt wich is also build from sheet metal.

After like 120 workhours the raw-build was complete and ready to get a check on street legality (Called TÜV in Germany)

And yes we did get permission to drive it on the streets, it was very tight and we went to the limit with the widebody but they accepted it.

So now the hardest part starts. Tinning and filling is on. Actually tinning took most of the work because we compromised the cars body galvanisation with all the welding work. So we had to redo it by hand.

So yeah say Hi to more then 350 hours work so far:

The good part of that now that all the tinning and filling work is done, we can give the ride some color.

And reassembling it after we were done.

The result was more then pleasing to me, and the best of all: It was all handcrafted.

But do we rest? No!

I had a summer full of fun with this car and of course some jealous glances from some pedestrians and other drivers ;)

The car itself is only registered to be driven saysonal, that means from March to October. So once we hit October the ride was hitting our shop again for Stage 2 of the Project.

So what we had in mind for Stage 2 is fitting a different engine into this. At first we wanted to use a 2.9L V6 Cosworth engine from a Ford Scopio but that didnt happen because that wouldnt be streetlegal in germany because of the low emission values the engine produces. It can not be installed in a car that produces better emission values.

So we looked around for a decent engine that fits the values.

We stumbled upon a Ford Mondeo with the ST200 2.5L Duratec V6 engine (also know as ST200 Cougar Engine)

So back in the shop with a Mondeo and a Focus:

Now to dismantle both rides and implant the engine into the Focus.

After we had some operating room in the Focus' engine bay we throwed the ST200 Engine in to see if it fits.

And it fitted so nicely that it was almost to good to be true. Well we recieved a beating the next day. The drivetrain didnt want to fit no matter what we did. The drivetrain from the Mondeo didnt fit the Focus and the other way around too... so we needed to custom build this one.

Well theres other work to do so lets do this first and deal with the drivetrain later.

So far so good. The V6 engine inside that Focus looks as if it was there by default. Granted a few tweaks to the engine bay had been done and we need to move the battery to the trunk to have room for the air-intake but thats minor details.

The wiring was pretty difficult to do but the engine is running.

At the current state we a bit stuck because the custombuild drivetrain isnt ready yet and we need to fix some bugs that the car generates (aka some of the warninglights in the speedometer wont go offline after start)

But either we have more then 2 month to finish this build and head for the street legality check up. If all goes well I ll be hitting the streets with it in late march.

I ll keep you guys posted about the progress

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2013, 06:09 PM   #2
replica81
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88615
What I Drive: 05 ST

FF Reputation: 3 replica81 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I entered this thread, preparing myself to be bored by a mildly stock newer ST.

I was wrong.
SR #272
Beer and Metal.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
Black00ZX3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 104714
What I Drive: '12 Silver Focus

FF Reputation: 3 Black00ZX3 Good Standing Member
So much win in this thread, nominate for bad-ass build of the year.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:40 PM   #4
1slofofo
Adam

Fan#: 92422
What I Drive: Mk3

FF Reputation: 6 1slofofo Good Standing Member
This is epic.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:46 PM   #5
04ZTSJelf
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100701
What I Drive: 04 D23 Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 04ZTSJelf Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Ok, well.... this is amazing.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #6
mishka
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107408
What I Drive: 13' TB SE Sport Sedan DCT 201A pack

FF Reputation: 1 mishka Good Standing Member
looks and sounds like its going to be amazing! I wish you guys luck with the final stages of the project!
Old 12-12-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
Gav-O-SVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 113561
What I Drive: '02 Infra-Red SVT

FF Reputation: 6 Gav-O-SVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Thats awsome bro! Love that color scheme! Keep up the great work and keep us posted!
Old 12-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #8
SVT Nape
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 128274
What I Drive: 2002 Black SVT

FF Reputation: 1 SVT Nape Good Standing Member
Very we'll done!
Old 12-12-2013, 07:48 PM   #9
SVT Nape
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 128274
What I Drive: 2002 Black SVT

FF Reputation: 1 SVT Nape Good Standing Member
Also, welds look good, ppl don't understand how hard welding can be!
Old 12-12-2013, 08:00 PM   #10
papaacer
Sonic's MK3 Crew #25

Fan#: 111083
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE

FF Reputation: 8 papaacer Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Looks great! Be proud of this because it came out awesome!
That's because if a sedan was used there would be too much awesomeness and the internet would explode.

Bookmarks & Social Networks