rear LCA & its eccentric bolt? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-09-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
my_beautious_ZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32386
What I Drive: 2002 charcoal XZ3

FF Reputation: 5 my_beautious_ZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
rear LCA & its eccentric bolt?

I'm gearing up to replace my rear LCA's & coil springs, and it seems like alot of the discussion here concerns their PITA removal but not their replacement.

I'm having trouble finding LCA's at the national discount chains. The closest they get to it is a Moog K660012 (dogbone-shaped forward LCA). One place found a x-reference to a Mevotech MS40153, but was dubious about the quality.

Also, is this the correct eccentric (toe) bolt that joins the LCA to the crossmember? Moog Cam Bolt Kit #K100009 $14
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...767#fragment-1

It's described as a "rear upper control arm adjustment bolt", but I'm wondering if that's a typo?? (didn't think ZX3's upper was adjustable)

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The link you posted is for a "camber bolt" it is an aftermarket replacement for the bolt that the upper control arm attaches to the rear hub/spindle/upright. It adds adjustment where the factory has none.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:03 PM   #3
MEJY1988
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101883
What I Drive: 2006 Burgandy ZX5

FF Reputation: 3 MEJY1988 Good Standing Member
You might want to try Rock Auto. I have not used them my self, but I have read that others are happy with them.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:13 AM   #4
Andrews-bad-SE
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100389
What I Drive: 2003 Arizona Beige SE 4dr Zetec/ATX

FF Reputation: 3 Andrews-bad-SE Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
O'Reilly's has the rear LCA's, that's where I got mine. Don't remember the part number though, sorry. :( But I got them for $92 apiece. Also, I had to go to my local Ford dealer for those eccentric bolts. Be careful (and patient... I know it's hard to, believe me. But it's necessary.) when removing the old ones. Good luck, let me know how it goes!
Old 09-10-2012, 09:47 AM   #5
my_beautious_ZX3
Focus Addict

thanks for the suggestions - it looks like the LCA is available after all.

as for the eccentric bolts, does anybody have a ballpark $$ on two of them? Neither Rockauto nor any discount retailer seems to carry them.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:13 AM   #6
n00btard
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101317
What I Drive: 2013 VW Golf 2.5 3 door

FF Reputation: 1 n00btard Good Standing Member
I had to order my rear LCA cam bolts from the dealer --and I STILL had to reuse the locking nuts and the actual cams. Those parts weren't ever supposed to need replacing, so they got D/Ced early on --no one seems to make an aftermarket part for it either.

#1 Eat the $18 a bolt from the Ford house instead of trying to find a quartet of cams and the right sized bolts.

#2 While you have that sucker apart swap ALL the bushings for poly ones that won't fuze like the OE rummer/steel bushings do. Poly bushings are better for your handling anyways.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:15 AM   #7
n00btard
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101317
What I Drive: 2013 VW Golf 2.5 3 door

FF Reputation: 1 n00btard Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by my_beautious_ZX3 View Post
thanks for the suggestions - it looks like the LCA is available after all.

as for the eccentric bolts, does anybody have a ballpark $$ on two of them? Neither Rockauto nor any discount retailer seems to carry them.
Get aftermarket ones. Movotech's are fine and they cost like $30 instead of $100.

I like my reinforced Moogs, but the only reason I did that is my demonic driving habits on dirt roads.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:45 PM   #8
MEJY1988
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101883
What I Drive: 2006 Burgandy ZX5

FF Reputation: 3 MEJY1988 Good Standing Member
Read post # 9 of this thread: Broken Rear Control Arm Adjuster Bolt (used for alignments). He may have some more of the eccentric bolts that you are looking for. Sorry for the late post; I just remember reading about it.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:43 PM   #9
Now534
Focus Addict

Fan#: 76549
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black ST2

FF Reputation: 6 Now534 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
The bolts can be ordered through Moog from Orielys it just takes a couple of days. Or talk to Euro Bred
Old 09-15-2012, 11:17 AM   #10
my_beautious_ZX3
Focus Addict

Well, I waited until the last minute for this repair job and purchased all parts over-the-counter. Here's what to expect if you do the same (part numbers/prices are for '02 ZX3; your mileage may vary):

LCA
I was told that Moog no longer mfg's this part, so that leaves Ford ($150/ea), Raybestos (Carquest - $105/ea) and MasterPro (O'Reilly #CB40155 - $95/ea). I went with the latter; it looks/feels well constructed, and installed with no problems. (Note when calling around: everyone seems to have a different notion of what "LCA" means, and the fact that the rear Focus suspension has what some call a "front LCA" and a "rear LCA" adds to the confusion.)

Sway bar endlinks
Common enuf. I bought Moog #K90130 ($10/ea)

Coil spring
If you've had a history of broken Ford coil springs like I have, then it's a false economy not to replace your rusted pair while the LCA's are off. I bought Moog #80099 (Advance Auto - $80/pair)

LCA hardware
If your old cam bolts are shot, then here's where your local Ford dealer gets to s*domize you. You'll need a cam bolt for each LCA (#6S4Z-5K978-AA, $15/ea) and a flanged lock nut for each of those (#W703016-S306, $8/ea). You can probably reuse your old cams (loose cam that fits on nut-side); if not, a new cam is listed as "cam kit" (#??, $12/ea).

While a 3rd-party cam bolt of the correct dimensions might be difficult to track down, you can save yourself over ten bucks if you can find a generic lock nut. I'm pretty sure it's an M12 x 1.75 with 10.9 hardness (~grade 8); my local hardware store almost had it!

While the standard bolt on the outer end of each LCA did not look badly rusted, they too were seized and needed replacement ($15 total for hardened generic hardware). (Note that, like the nearby lower shock mount, the nut is tack-welded.)

Crossmember
If you ever doubt just how cheap your Focus was made, then climb under the car and go poking around on the chassis (but not too hard - you might poke a hole in it). My rear crossmember was sufficiently rusted to prompt me to call around some junkyards to price a used one ($125). In the end, I didn't deem it needing replacement...yet. But, that's some thin metal down there (proof that ethically dubious frame elements did not disappear with the K-car!), so if you live in the snow/salt belt and are going to the trouble of replacing your LCA's, then examine your crossmember before you start to determine if it makes sense to replace now rather than later.

Good luck!!

Bookmarks & Social Networks