End of the "Ranger" in North America.Good or bad news for Ford? - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #21
NBFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 75547
What I Drive: 2014 Focus SE Sedan

Points 1,767, Level 24
Points: 1,767, Level: 24 Points: 1,767, Level: 24 Points: 1,767, Level: 24
Level Up 67% Completed
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Forum Activity 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%
FF Reputation: 1 NBFocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
What Ford has done to "replace" the Ranger, is they are offering the "F150 STX".
It's a very basic F150, crank windows, manual locks, etc. It runs right around the same price as a new Ranger, its better on fuel, can haul more, and it comes as either a 2wd or a 4x4. Not to mention that it's got a sporty appearance pack with alloy rims and a paint matched grille. Really good value for someone who wants an affordable basic truck that doesn't look basic as it drives down the road. PLUS, it's cheaper than an XL, cause its more "light duty"

So you get this, for a starting price of 21,521 CDN.

Here's a little excerpt from the Ford website.
Originally Posted by JustHereFTM View Post
hes still single and thirsty because he wasted his pepsi...
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2012, 10:07 AM   #22
kylesvt720
NeedsMoarEverything

Fan#: 51359
What I Drive: 2006 Saabaru "The Unicorn"

Points 10,817, Level 68
Points: 10,817, Level: 68 Points: 10,817, Level: 68 Points: 10,817, Level: 68
Level Up 92% Completed
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 17 kylesvt720 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Ford needs to bring back a true small truck. The Colorado and Dakota became to large, and did rob from full size sales, but the ranger? Not that much, in base form at least.

You could get a 4 cylinder Ranger with the 2.3L, and it was rated at 27mpg highway, (My 2005 ST is rated at 28 with the same motor.) The Ranger only weighs 200lbs more. Imagine that truck with a 2.0T in it. It would likely get 30mpg, and be seriously fast as well. They could probably get 27 with a 4x4 and an auto 6. There is a market for small trucks, if they get decent mpg. The problem was the current Ranger didn't get any better mileage than the F150, if you needed the V6.

ST CREW #107 / TEAM DURATEC #93 / D23 Crew #3
Old 09-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #23
TwinTalon
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103659
What I Drive: 2008 Buell XB12XT

FF Reputation: 1 TwinTalon Good Standing Member
Wow.......... When i first saw the thread title, I thought "one of these jokers is trying to get attention" or "C'mon, check your facts before you post nonsense like that."

Holy hell...... I think you guys may actually be right.....

I've had an 07' V6 Tacoma for the past 5+ years, and my buddy had an 01' F-150 with the 5.4. I averaged 17mpg, he averaged 19. With a Much bigger truck. With FOUR full-sized doors. With a Big V8 instead of my big V6.

Holy hell...... Ya'll might actually be right. I could see where Ford's coming from, but it feels like a tremendous mistake.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #24
Mazingo
Banned

Fan#: 103085
What I Drive: 2010 black Ranger

FF Reputation: -2 Mazingo Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
Originally Posted by IH84DZ View Post
Funny, I'm under the impression that if people actually bought enough Rangers and Crown Vics to justify production they'd keep producing them?

Comparing Asia and India sales to North America is absurd. Gee I wonder how the scooter and 2 stoke street bike sales are over there? I wonder how many 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton trucks are sold compared to the U.S.?

The Panther (Crown Vic, Town Car and Grand Marq) is one of my favorite platforms of all time and it breaks my heart to see it go. But... I'm more proud of Ford for not dumbing hundreds of millions into UAW owned assembly plants that produce a product nobody wants to buy
It's true that the Rangers sales have dropped over the years.330,125 in 2000, 156,322 in 2004 and 55,364 in 2004.Some could say that people lost interest in the small truck ,but you got to keep in mind that Ford stopped updating the truck a long time ago.Making the 4.0l V6 an outdated guzzler while competition were offering better.And considering the truck never had a real update in two decades,it's surprising they were still selling pretty well. And owners of a 4cyl Ranger ,will NOT get a V6,Ecoboost or V8 F-150 because it's simply too expensive for them.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #25
swansong
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83576
What I Drive: 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero SportCombi XWD

Points 2,255, Level 28
Points: 2,255, Level: 28 Points: 2,255, Level: 28 Points: 2,255, Level: 28
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 12 swansong Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBFocus View Post
What Ford has done to "replace" the Ranger, is they are offering the "F150 STX".
It's a very basic F150, crank windows, manual locks, etc. It runs right around the same price as a new Ranger, its better on fuel, can haul more, and it comes as either a 2wd or a 4x4.
While I can't disagree that the STX is more capable than the old Ranger, and a similar price, I have to mention that a lot of people simply don't want such a large vehicle.

I used to have a '99 Ranger. My wife recently bought a '99 F150. Even though the F150 has more power and is obviously more capable than the Ranger was, I still prefer the Ranger in terms of size and driveability. Our F150 barely fits in the garage, and I'm not sure sure a new one would at all. Driving the Ranger was much more manageable, it felt more nimble and was easier to park. To me, the F150's are simply too big nowadays.
Gone: 2002 SVT, #1654

Hers: 2010 Focus SES: 84k, Ebony, Auto, Moon and Tune
Old 09-10-2012, 01:24 PM   #26
IH84DZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101801
What I Drive: 03 CD silver SVT 5 door

FF Reputation: 5 IH84DZ Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazingo View Post
It's true that the Rangers sales have dropped over the years.330,125 in 2000, 156,322 in 2004 and 55,364 in 2004.Some could say that people lost interest in the small truck ,but you got to keep in mind that Ford stopped updating the truck a long time ago.Making the 4.0l V6 an outdated guzzler while competition were offering better.And considering the truck never had a real update in two decades,it's surprising they were still selling pretty well. And owners of a 4cyl Ranger ,will NOT get a V6,Ecoboost or V8 F-150 because it's simply too expensive for them.
A very well informed and hard working group of folks at Ford have done marketing reasearch that concluded the price to overhaul the body style wasn't worth the risk of offering it. Keep in mind the Mazda and Ranger sold in NA are different from those sold elsewhere and Mazda isn't offering their small pickup here either. It's not hard to understand it's expensive to run a plant tooled for two model lines on only one model line.

It certainly needed a facelift and perhaps that's one of the reasons it's sales were dropping. It's just not practical given the capability of the new half tonners and I'm sure there is a tiny little consumer segment out there that doesn't fit in the F150 market.... what are they supposed to do? Make a few trucks for a few folks in a completely cost prohibitive manner?
Old 09-10-2012, 01:43 PM   #27
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

Points 34,197, Level 100
Points: 34,197, Level: 100 Points: 34,197, Level: 100 Points: 34,197, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Yea it's true the sales of the ranger got worse every year but it's because the woudn't listen to the customers. They wanted four doors and the option of a V8 and disele. Like you could get with the colorado and the dakota scans the disele of course. I mean they had the sprorttrac which was basiclly a ranger. It was built with the ranger chassis, drive train, and interior. It had four doors, and if you got the SVT you could get the V8. But it wasn't the same, its fords own fault for the sals drop due to the lack of redesign and options the comapition was out selling them 10 to 1. Now the ranger is sold in 187 counrtys except ours where it was created.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #28
IH84DZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101801
What I Drive: 03 CD silver SVT 5 door

FF Reputation: 5 IH84DZ Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_mclaren View Post
Yea it's true the sales of the ranger got worse every year but it's because the woudn't listen to the customers. They wanted four doors and the option of a V8 and disele. Like you could get with the colorado and the dakota scans the disele of course. I mean they had the sprorttrac which was basiclly a ranger. It was built with the ranger chassis, drive train, and interior. It had four doors, and if you got the SVT you could get the V8. But it wasn't the same, its fords own fault for the sals drop due to the lack of redesign and options the comapition was out selling them 10 to 1. Now the ranger is sold in 187 counrtys except ours where it was created.
Because the Sportrac sold so well also!! lol

I'm sure Ford's R&D and market research team would love your analysis. Drop your resume off sounds like they need you!
Old 09-10-2012, 03:16 PM   #29
Mazingo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_mclaren View Post
The Sportrack had more in common with the late 90's Explorer that the Ranger.Actually it was simply a "chopped off" SUV with a small box.It didn't sold well because it was very heavy,very expensive and a guzzler.It was no surprise that it didn't last very long on the market.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #30
Mazingo
Banned

Quote:
A very well informed and hard working group of folks at Ford have done marketing reasearch that concluded the price to overhaul the body style wasn't worth the risk of offering it. Keep in mind the Mazda and Ranger sold in NA are different from those sold elsewhere and Mazda isn't offering their small pickup here either. It's not hard to understand it's expensive to run a plant tooled for two model lines on only one model line.
Mazda dropped the pick-up because it was not selling as well as Rangers did,and also Mazda were about to take some distance from Ford.

Quote:
It certainly needed a facelift and perhaps that's one of the reasons it's sales were dropping. It's just not practical given the capability of the new half tonners and I'm sure there is a tiny little consumer segment out there that doesn't fit in the F150 market.... what are they supposed to do? Make a few trucks for a few folks in a completely cost prohibitive manner?
The sales dropped because the engines and transmissions offered were not even from this century.Ford has been trying for years to kill the Ranger ,but people have been buying them anyway.Now they say that it's not selling well after letting the truck unchanged for so long.I hate GM and Nissan ,so Tacoma it is .

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.