How mlong until Focus tells you to bring car in for service? - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-15-2012, 01:42 PM   #1
Meathead
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97158
What I Drive: 2012 SE 5 speed w/ Sport Package

FF Reputation: 1 Meathead Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
How mlong until Focus tells you to bring car in for service?

I just crossed 9,000 miles and still running great. I am now gettting nervous that my car has not told me to bring it in for service yet. I know they make 15,000 oil now, but I wouldnt think it would be in the FRocus from the factory.

If I listened to my dealer, I would be on oil change #3 by now. But they are just out for the money.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #2
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 9 PratoN Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
I just crossed 9,000 miles and still running great. I am now gettting nervous that my car has not told me to bring it in for service yet. I know they make 15,000 oil now, but I wouldnt think it would be in the FRocus from the factory.

If I listened to my dealer, I would be on oil change #3 by now. But they are just out for the money.
Depending on your vehicle, early builds had an issue where the oil minder light wouldn't come on. A software fix corrected this. If it doesn't come on in 6 months or 10k miles, take it to your dealer and ask about it.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #3
pablo94sc
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104464
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue SE Sport 5dr (5spd)

FF Reputation: 1 pablo94sc Good Standing Member
Please tell me you changed the factory oil at 1000 miles or so. Break-in oil needs to be changed out early to remove all the metal filings and other debris that break-in produces, and to get a fresh filter on there to catch any left overs. After that first change, you should then follow the oil change intervals that either the computer or owner's manual states. I believe it's 12m/10k miles for the Focus with full-synthetic.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #4
cbdallas
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100296
What I Drive: 2013 Race Red ST

FF Reputation: 2 cbdallas Good Standing Member
My sister ran her brand new Lexus up to the 10,000 mi minder setting. I cringed.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #5
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 21 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo94sc View Post
Please tell me you changed the factory oil at 1000 miles or so. Break-in oil needs to be changed out early to remove all the metal filings and other debris that break-in produces, and to get a fresh filter on there to catch any left overs. After that first change, you should then follow the oil change intervals that either the computer or owner's manual states. I believe it's 12m/10k miles for the Focus with full-synthetic.
That seems a bit extreme to change the initial oil at 1000 miles. I wouldn't push the initial oil change to the full 10,000 mile interval either, but 1000 miles is less than 4 tanks of gasoline run through the car.

I know some people were freaked out enough to change the oil within the first 1000 miles (some times almost immediately and then again at 1k, then up to the 5k interval that coincides with tire rotations.) But it does seem to be wasteful and unless you're certain that the metal was actually circulating is it really doing any damage when suspended at the bottom of the pan or in the filter?

What would happen from following a normal 5000 mile interval for the first change? Would the engine suddenly disintegrate at 200,000 miles just because you didn't change the original oil at 1000 miles vs 2-5k miles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdallas View Post
My sister ran her brand new Lexus up to the 10,000 mi minder setting. I cringed.
Yeah that's a bit extreme on the other end, of course if you never change the oil you'd need to prepare to replace the engine your self (i.e. you're paying for it 100% as it was owner negligence that killed it). E.X. cases of people running the factory fill for 30-40k and seizing the motor.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #6
craigsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97985
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE

FF Reputation: 5 craigsfocus Good Standing Member
Mine just came on yesterday. Almost dead on with the 10,000 mile mark.

Active Duty US Army. MOS 91E (Machinist). OEF Vet.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:27 PM   #7
Meathead
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97158
What I Drive: 2012 SE 5 speed w/ Sport Package

FF Reputation: 1 Meathead Good Standing Member
I have never changed my oil with any new car (4 cars), and nothing has happened. But now you got me all nervous, so I will probably be scheduling my oil change today. Does the oil monitor actually monitor the oil life or does it just track mileage? Obviously a convnetional oil change will yield shorter life than synthetic.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #8
craigsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97985
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE

FF Reputation: 5 craigsfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
I have never changed my oil with any new car (4 cars), and nothing has happened. But now you got me all nervous, so I will probably be scheduling my oil change today. Does the oil monitor actually monitor the oil life or does it just track mileage? Obviously a convnetional oil change will yield shorter life than synthetic.
It uses factors like mileage, RPM's, and some other stuff to figure out oil life. 10,000 miles seems to be the norm for normal service. It will come on in the little screen between the gauges.

Active Duty US Army. MOS 91E (Machinist). OEF Vet.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:57 PM   #9
ibinubu12
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 92300
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Hatchback, Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 1 ibinubu12 Good Standing Member
Mine came on at about 10,700. Changed it at 11,063.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:15 PM   #10
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
You don't have to change the oil as frequently as the oil-change places would have you believe (3000 miles) and 10,000 miles is on the high side of what's reasonable.

I change my own oil and do it at 5000 mile intervals -- I also rotate the tires at the same time. I don't need to change the oil this frequently, particularly since I use Mobil-1 synthetic (5W-20), but I am trying to spoil her!

The car monitors some parameters about the way the car is driven and you do need to reset the "oil life monitoring system" periodically. After I change the oil I:

1. Press and hold the start/stop button without foot on brake for about 2 seconds, then

2. Push both gas and brake pedals at the same time and hold them, after a couple seconds the "Service: Oil reset in prog" will come on, then, after about 25 seconds the "Service: oil reset complete" will be displaid.

3. Release gas and brake pedals and turn ignition off.

Brian

Bookmarks & Social Networks