Ford locking gas plug - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-08-2012, 11:04 PM   #1
Linchpin
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103384
What I Drive: 2012 Platinum White Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Linchpin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ford locking gas plug

In going through the Ford accessory catalogue I found a number of strange anomolies. For example, Ford lists a locking gas filler plug for every model.........except the Focus. And they all have the same part number. Say what? Ford warns about putting anything into the capless gas filler then offers a locking plug for every model BUT the Focus? Are we to believe that the Focus filler is different? Not likely.

The most probable explanation is that more than a few people at Ford head office are catching up on their sleep at work and were dozing soundly when it came time to list Focus accessories. So I rolled the dice and put down $45 (this is Canada eh, not the US where it is probably $12.50) for a genuine Ford filler plug. Guess what? It fit like it was actually made for the Focus. Memo to Ford - please review your accessory list.

Now it could be that my case was an anomoly and the locking cap won't work for other Focus owners. But for those who want to give it a try the Ford part number for the PLUG is: 8U5Z-9C268-B

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2012, 11:15 PM   #2
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linchpin View Post
In going through the Ford accessory catalogue I found a number of strange anomolies. For example, Ford lists a locking gas filler plug for every model.........except the Focus. And they all have the same part number. Say what? Ford warns about putting anything into the capless gas filler then offers a locking plug for every model BUT the Focus? Are we to believe that the Focus filler is different? Not likely.

The most probable explanation is that more than a few people at Ford head office are catching up on their sleep at work and were dozing soundly when it came time to list Focus accessories. So I rolled the dice and put down $45 (this is Canada eh, not the US where it is probably $12.50) for a genuine Ford filler plug. Guess what? It fit like it was actually made for the Focus. Memo to Ford - please review your accessory list.

Now it could be that my case was an anomoly and the locking cap won't work for other Focus owners. But for those who want to give it a try the Ford part number for the PLUG is: 8U5Z-9C268-B
Its not that its different, its more that its still useless now that they have put the easy fuel cap less refueling system with the anti mis-fueling and anti-siphoning fuel filler neck that only opens when a gasoline nozzle or the equivalently sized fuel funnel that is located in the spare tire well foam that comes with the car.

The locking fuel filler cap is just something to be a visual deterrent, but if they wanted to they could easily break it since its just plastic.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:22 PM   #3
Linchpin
Focus Enthusiast

I agree completely. But hey, it is better than nothing. I wasn't comfortable with the fact that this system is fast becoming common knowledge and anyone can 'pop the lid' and shove junk into my tank just for fun. For $45 it was worth it to me. This issue aside, Ford lists the plug for every model except the Focus. I find this 'intriguing'.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:59 AM   #4
I Bleed Ford Blue
Focus Addict

Fan#: 94113
What I Drive: 2013 F150 FX4

FF Reputation: 8 I Bleed Ford Blue Good Standing Member
Its not an anomaly, they do fit the 2012-13 focii, others have tried it. More than likely it was an oversite that the locking fuel filler cap is not listed under the focii accessories.
14 Dark Side Fusion SE 200A
L-CCC #18/HOIA #37
Old 09-09-2012, 07:04 AM   #5
lscrx
Focus Addict

Fan#: 41668
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE hatch 5mt

FF Reputation: 2 lscrx Good Standing Member
Quote:
I agree completely. But hey, it is better than nothing. I wasn't comfortable with the fact that this system is fast becoming common knowledge and anyone can 'pop the lid' and shove junk into my tank just for fun. For $45 it was worth it to me. This issue aside, Ford lists the plug for every model except the Focus. I find this 'intriguing'.
Who is this happening to? Seriously people, do you also buy those gimmicks that you plug into your 12V outlet to "clean" your electrical system?

Posted via FF Mobile
Old 09-09-2012, 08:14 AM   #6
Twenty
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17

Fan#: 90312
What I Drive: 2012 YB SE sedan w/ ST exterior

FF Reputation: 9 Twenty Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
What's wrong with extra security?
SR #74/SMk3C #17/YBOC #03
Bill M.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:16 AM   #7
Altis
Focus Addict

Fan#: 89540
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SEL Hatch 5MT

FF Reputation: 1 Altis Good Standing Member
Quote:
..snip............I wasn't comfortable with the fact that this system is fast becoming common knowledge and anyone can 'pop the lid' and shove junk into my tank just for fun.............snip..
I'm curious, the system is fast becoming common knowledge? Just because it doesn't have a gas cap, doesn't make it any less secure than cars that have a gas cap when the fuel door doesn't lock. If anything, this is more secure than those (for example, Chryslers, VWs, GMs).

I do find it funny that people who had a previous car that didn't have a locking fuel door, but had a gas cap (not locking either), had no concerns then... but now that there's no cap, think it's a high target.

Anyways, glad the cap fit... It's too bad you had to make a judgement call just to buy something from Ford!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty View Post
What's wrong with extra security?
Just curious, did you buy a locking gas cap for your Grand Prix?
Old 09-09-2012, 09:36 AM   #8
Linchpin
Focus Enthusiast

This is Canada eh! While you Americans are paying less than $4 a gallon for gas we are paying closer to $6 a gallon (it may sound cheaper in liters but this is an illusion). As gas prices rise so does the incentive to siphon. Every foreign car my wife and I have owned has had a remote locking gas cover. My wife's 2010 Hyundai Tucson has one. I installed a locking cap on my 2001 Focus ZX-3. And if locking gas plugs are a bad idea how come Ford offers them for every model except the Focus? When those who want one go to their Ford dealer they are probably told (I was) "Ford doesn't offer one. Sorry, you are out of luck." This is really bad on Ford's part. The one complaint I have about buying my Focus Ti was that I wanted more options than Ford offered. And Ford didn't exactly make it easy for me to load the Ti up. I pretty much had to tell the dealer to get every option available. BTW, I bought the Focus instead of an Audi or B Class Mercedes because I believe there is no good reason why domestic cars can't be as good as any other car in the world.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:15 PM   #9
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 15 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
I bought the little lock to fit as soon as I could.
So what it could be damaged by someone really wanting to do so. Same for a steeringwheel lock.The point of these things is to deter the casual idiot thief. Since 90% ar such, youare effectively cutting the risk 90%
Why is that a 'problem' to those saying all is a waste of time? Or are those saying it is a waste, actually thieves wanting to stop folks from slowing them down?

I worry about the fact an idiot WILL damage the gas opening trying to get past the metal closed thing.
Then it is just broken.
So I use the lock. And yeah I bought mine off Amazon for $12 or so. The original Ford part.
I think Canada can use Amazon?

And for the past 10 years i used a locking gas cap.
Once gasoline was over $1 a gallon, gas became valuable...

Last edited by Elizabeth; 09-09-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #10
Linchpin
Focus Enthusiast

Elizaabeth, when I was a building inspector years ago I attended an RCMP presentation on security. Their findings support your position that simple things will deter 90% of thieves. If your Focus has gas plug lock and the Focus next to yours doesn't why would a thief try to roll 7 the hard way?

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->