Obd 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-15-2013, 09:48 AM   #1
Besian
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 118943
What I Drive: 1999 ford focus 1.6 16v s

FF Reputation: 1 Besian Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Obd 2

Just wondering if somone could help me with a little problem ,on the ford focus 1999 1.6 16v se i have the contector OBD 2 below the dashboard and was wondering if there was anyway to read codes from it, or could somone tell the name of the system or conector. The contector have pin 2/4/5/7/10/13/16
Thank you Besi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2013, 10:39 AM   #2
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
yes, it is actually called the OBDII (as in roman numerals) stands for On-Board Diagnostics and you just need to find an OBDII scan tool. They make applications for your phone now that uses Bluetooth to connect to a wireless OBD connector (dongle?).
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 09-15-2013, 07:21 PM   #3
Darthenstein
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63587
What I Drive: 2009 Ford Focus SES

FF Reputation: 4 Darthenstein Good Standing Member
If you go to a major auto parts store they will let you use one for free; but be ready for them to sell you some parts :)

Ford: Taurus ('91, 01) Focus ('09); Mercury: Sable ('95); Dodge: Neon ('95); Trek: 1000SL ('07) Yamaha: VStar 650 ('03)
Old 09-15-2013, 11:56 PM   #4
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
If you get read by an auto store then stand over their shoulder and get the exact code there. Write it down. Sometimes they have a tendency to interpret it a bit funky in order to sell parts that may not help you or your problem. Also easier to spit out the exact code number here, many forget the exact code description as described by parts store and start right off the bat getting suggestions online again that do not do anything but waste your money.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #5
intravino
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 64438
What I Drive: 2009 BLue S

FF Reputation: 1 intravino Good Standing Member
Female OBD2 Connector

Here are some pics of obd2 connectors (male and female):

http://www.carplugs.com/products.html
Old 09-17-2013, 12:21 AM   #6
Leora83
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 69136
What I Drive: 2003 ZX5 chrome yellow

FF Reputation: 1 Leora83 Good Standing Member
The OP is in...Albania? With a 99 Focus and 1.6L engine, that seems more likely than Alabama.
Guessing they might not have the same access to code readers at the local parts place there as here.

You might have to check the Internet to find an OBDII code reader but they aren't expensive (at least for the simpler ones) and will save you lots in the future. All OBDIIs use the same connection, so you just have to find one you like. Mine was $40 on sale and has been well-used. It only reads engine codes...but still has paid for itself many times over.

Bookmarks & Social Networks