Another vehicle with a dry clutch. - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-17-2014, 09:45 AM   #1
TooOld
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 128586
What I Drive: 2014 Sterling Grey SE

FF Reputation: 3 TooOld Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Another vehicle with a dry clutch.

Will this be only the 3rd vehicle with an automatic dual, dry clutch transmission? (Ford Fiesta, and Ford Focus the other 2).

Granted, it's going in a $68k vehicle at what is (assuming) a projected fraction of the sales volume of the Fiesta-Focus, but nevertheless, isn't the concept and implementation of dual, dry clutch automatics an example of automotive engineering failure? What would make the Alfa Romeo's any better than the Focus' transmission? Why on Earth would Alfa Romeo even consider a dual dry?

From the article

1. Alfa Romeo 4C — 160 mph

American drivers rejoice — the Alfa Romeo 4C is set to make its return to U.S. soil for the 2015 model year. The 4C can also claim the title as fastest four-cylinder car on the planet, hitting top marks of 160 miles per hour behind the power of 240 horses. The engine itself is a 1742 cc turbocharged four-cylinder, coupled with a dual dry clutch six-speed automatic transmission for seamless shifting. For American Alfa Romeo fans, the 4C has been a long time coming. For fans of fast, sleek cars loaded with sporty dynamism, the 4C offers the most speed a four-cylinder can offer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2014, 09:54 AM   #2
SEFocus2012
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114989
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE

FF Reputation: 1 SEFocus2012 Good Standing Member
I read about this...kinda thought the same thing. There's only so many ways to build the same type of transmission right??
Old 07-17-2014, 10:00 AM   #3
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 6 slybarman Good Standing Member
Poor bastards.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:02 AM   #4
SEFocus2012
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by slybarman View Post
Poor bastards.
:thumbup:
Old 07-17-2014, 10:06 AM   #5
falcompsx
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108012
What I Drive: 2014 Mazda 3 S GT

FF Reputation: 2 falcompsx Good Standing Member
Dodge Dart has a dry dual clutch as well. A quick google for problems with it and.....well their forums don't have a 300 page sticky with issues and countless other threads with the same problem. The problem isn't dry dual clutch transmissions, the problem is the specific transmission and programming in the focus. Ford @#$%ed up and used a POS and isn't owning up to the problem.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:08 AM   #6
wavsine
Focus Addict

Fan#: 118470
What I Drive: 2013 Focus SE Oxford White Hatch 5m

FF Reputation: 9 wavsine Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooOld View Post
Will this be only the 3rd vehicle with an automatic dual, dry clutch transmission? (Ford Fiesta, and Ford Focus the other 2).

Granted, it's going in a $68k vehicle at what is (assuming) a projected fraction of the sales volume of the Fiesta-Focus, but nevertheless, isn't the concept and implementation of dual, dry clutch automatics an example of automotive engineering failure? What would make the Alfa Romeo's any better than the Focus' transmission? Why on Earth would Alfa Romeo even consider a dual dry?

From the article

1. Alfa Romeo 4C — 160 mph

American drivers rejoice — the Alfa Romeo 4C is set to make its return to U.S. soil for the 2015 model year. The 4C can also claim the title as fastest four-cylinder car on the planet, hitting top marks of 160 miles per hour behind the power of 240 horses. The engine itself is a 1742 cc turbocharged four-cylinder, coupled with a dual dry clutch six-speed automatic transmission for seamless shifting. For American Alfa Romeo fans, the 4C has been a long time coming. For fans of fast, sleek cars loaded with sporty dynamism, the 4C offers the most speed a four-cylinder can offer.
If it is anything like the other Alfas, the car will fall apart long before the transmission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcompsx View Post
Dodge Dart has a dry dual clutch as well. A quick google for problems with it and.....well their forums don't have a 300 page sticky with issues and countless other threads with the same problem. The problem isn't dry dual clutch transmissions, the problem is the specific transmission and programming in the focus. Ford @#$%ed up and used a POS and isn't owning up to the problem.
"The DDCT was originally designed by Fiat, and is a proprietary combination of transmission units from suppliers, and then designed for the Giuliette and Mito models before Dart development even started. Chrysler engineers developed our U.S. calibration, however, and the unit behaves quite differently here."

Synthetic oil in GDI engines
www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324396

Last edited by wavsine; 07-17-2014 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:08 AM   #7
TooOld
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFocus2012 View Post
I read about this...kinda thought the same thing. There's only so many ways to build the same type of transmission right??
With my knowledge of transmission mechanicals at zero or less, I would imagine so.

I wonder if Getrag is manufacturer for the Alfa's TCT (twin clutch transmission).
Old 07-17-2014, 12:42 PM   #8
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
In addition to the Dart, some European Renaults and a few Hyundai models use a dual dry clutch. No doubt there are others.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:36 PM   #9
SEFocus2012
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooOld View Post
With my knowledge of transmission mechanicals at zero or less, I would imagine so.

I wonder if Getrag is manufacturer for the Alfa's TCT (twin clutch transmission).
Getrag is wet clutch. Wet and dry are the differences...lubed or dry
Old 07-17-2014, 01:52 PM   #10
TooOld
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFocus2012 View Post
Getrag is wet clutch. Wet and dry are the differences...lubed or dry
Yeah, an online search gives me the impression the vast majority of Getrag's transmissions are wet clutch design. Not sure how many dry clutch types they did before the Fiesta - Focus.

I'm just wondering if Getrag is expanding their dry clutch line-up with Alfa's new transmission.

Bookmarks & Social Networks