Those not happy with the 12b37 update - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-31-2012, 02:48 PM   #21
*Ed8r*
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 97400
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White 4-door sedan

FF Reputation: 1 *Ed8r* Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
OK. But is it really worth $50?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2012, 02:50 PM   #22
*Ed8r*
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
K&N makes a replacement air filter for the engine that just "drops" into the standard air filter housing and replaces the paper element filter with one made of cloth.
OK. Is it really worth $50?
Old 08-31-2012, 02:59 PM   #23
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Ed8r* View Post
OK. Is it really worth $50?
Well $50 once give or take, + supplies to recharge/ clean at 30-50k miles should probably end up costing less than replacing the O.E. filters every 12-20k miles over the lifetime of the vehicle, it seems to at least slightly perceptiblly have a positive benefit to throttle response vs the O.E. paper element filter, etc. I think it was worth it, but only you can decide. \

However if you do go this route I'd recommend not waiting until your current filter needs replacement as you will want to keep the original or a clean replacement o.e. filter if you need to drive the car while the K&N filter is drying after being cleaned and oiled.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:30 PM   #24
*Ed8r*
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
while the K&N filter is drying after being cleaned and oiled
Did you see my confession (above)? One Amazon review said that replacing the filter is not exactly straightforward. Will I be able to take care of this myself?

[wish I hadn't lost my family mechanic 3 weeks after he told me he'd be available for 3 years!]
Old 08-31-2012, 03:33 PM   #25
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Well $50 once give or take, + supplies to recharge/ clean at 30-50k miles should probably end up costing less than replacing the O.E. filters every 12-20k miles over the lifetime of the vehicle, it seems to at least slightly perceptiblly have a positive benefit to throttle response vs the O.E. paper element filter, etc. I think it was worth it, but only you can decide. \

However if you do go this route I'd recommend not waiting until your current filter needs replacement as you will want to keep the original or a clean replacement o.e. filter if you need to drive the car while the K&N filter is drying after being cleaned and oiled.
While I have no personal experience with it, oiling the K&N filters seems to be a bit of an art and can cause problems if done incorrectly. Too much oil can foul the MAF, too little reduces the quality of filtration. I think these should be limited to the province of the skilled or the brave, not the novice.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:34 PM   #26
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Did you see my confession (above)? One Amazon review said that replacing the filter is not exactly straightforward. Will I be able to take care of this myself?

[wish I hadn't lost my family mechanic 3 weeks after he told me he'd be available for 3 years!]
I don't know, if you're not mechanically inclined it might be difficult, but its just four semi long 8 mm bolts iirc and the lid comes straight off. You might need to remove the front half of the battery cover which slides right off to get to the rear two bolts.

Lid comes off, slide filter off of the air ducting, slide the new one in which is not uni-directional like the o.e. filter, and button everything back up.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:35 PM   #27
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:

Buy it through Autozone or Advance or one of those and they'll probably install it for free for you.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:48 PM   #28
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92484
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL 303A Focus

FF Reputation: 2 AZfocus2012 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Where did you obtain this drive cycle, dan50?

Have a great Labor Day weekend,

Thomas
I found it here. although I am not dan50.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...271673&page=26
Old 08-31-2012, 04:58 PM   #29
Strix
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85696
What I Drive: Not a Ford

FF Reputation: 0 Strix Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
I just tried this and after a short 1-2 mile drive with many starts and stops, I have to say the DCT is just as terrible as before. I would say that I hope it improves with more driving, but I've given up hoping for anything better.

I was one of the people who was fairly happy before all these updates... now I hate driving my car. I'll be trading it in sooner rather than later.

Originally, the DCT was only a mild annoyance on an otherwise outstanding car. It had it's quirks, but did what it was supposed to do in the manner I would expect a dual clutch transmission to operate.

Now that it's been 'fixed', it makes me want to punch my dashboard every time I go for a drive. It has a massive gap in power delivery every time it shifts, and it is even more eager to upshift and reluctant to downshift. The hill start assist being active in park is highly irritating. And it launches so, so badly... I don't think the 1-3-5 clutch is fully engaged before the damned thing is shifting to 2nd gear, despite the increasing throttle. If you want it to hold first gear past 3K you literally have to floor it.

It is nigh intolerable, and I never would have purchased the car if it had operated in this manner when I test drove one. I wish I could put it in a time machine and send it back to last summer, when I loved it and didn't hate it... before it was ruined with software 'fixes'.

Oh well. Now I'm just counting down the days until it makes financial sense to get something that doesn't make me want to smash stuff every time I drive it.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:39 PM   #30
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92484
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL 303A Focus

FF Reputation: 2 AZfocus2012 Good Standing Member
Ford definitely took a step backwards with V4.0. Is it me or does it seem like all they did was make "D" more like "S" and "S" more like "D". Seems I can barely tell any difference in the two where as before it was an obvious difference. If I wanted it to rev to 4K at partial to mid throttle I could always select "S", now it does this in "D", with little difference in the shift pattern in "S". Ford needs to come up with at least two versions and let the owners decide, because this one size fits all isn't working. I kinda liked the short shift/hypermile mode in "D" with an obviously more aggressive pattern in "S". If I didn't won't the short shift, all I had to do was give it more throttle input, and all was good. Or I could just go to "S" mode. Now it all seems to be about the same.

Bookmarks & Social Networks