6-Speed PowerShift - 2013 Any Better? - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-01-2012, 07:15 AM   #21
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

FF Reputation: 11 Joeywhat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I can recreate on demand about 75% of the problems that most users here complain about. The jerky shifting, shuddering, erratic shift behavior, etc.

Then I can go about the rest of my day not experiencing ANY of those issues.

What did I change? My use of the throttle, and knowing what the gearbox is doing at the moment. If you're not deliberate with the throttle the gearbox doesn't know what the hell you're trying to do, and will constantly be trying to find which gear it thinks you want.

Ya'll can take that however you like. Maybe I'm one of the few people that has a gearbox that actually works. Maybe I'm doing something different then the rest of you. I would find it odd that my gearbox is significantly different then anyone else's...
Hatch Nation #29
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #22
zippy75
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 103236
What I Drive: 2007 BMW 335i

FF Reputation: 1 zippy75 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhiaFan View Post
Curious what you found cheap about the rear seats?
Also the carpeting and trunk liner. Can you elaborate what level of difference there is between the Mazda 6 carpeting and trunk liner.
Pictures would be great to see what the differences are, be it thickness, premium textures etc.
Well, actually as far as the carpet liner in the rear goes my Mazda 6 wagon is no better, as it was made at the Ford plant in Flat Rock, MI. But compare the quality of the carpet, especially in the back of the hatchback, with something like a Toyota Prius and you'll see what I mean. I haven't checked a Hyundai or Kia compact lately, but the last Kia Sorento I looked at had nicely finished carpeting with binding around the edges. The floor liner in the back of a Focus looks like cheap indoor/outdoor carpet stamped out from a press. I understand on the base models how Ford might want to pinch pennies, but it would be nice if they could offer an upgrade to the carpet as part of a package.

The rear seats themselves just seem thin and cheap. I realize that there's a lot more effort going into saving weight these days, and these are relatively minor issues, but when you're going from showroom to showroom comparing brands these small things do not leave a favorable impression.

That said, none of them drive as nicely as the Focus, and the Focus looks cool, so at least Ford spent the money where it really counts.

I'm really glad Ford is getting away from trying to Americanize ("bastardize" might be a better word) their cars. I read somewhere that Ford blamed the poor sales of the Contour (which was a Ford of Europe 1st generation Mondeo) as reasoning that Americans wouldn't accept European designs. They missed the point though, as the real problem was the first generation Mondeo wasn't all that great a car and the styling was lame. The later generations of Mondeo were much nicer, and Ford missed out on a lot of sales in America by not importing them. I'm betting that a lot of the lost customers ended up becoming Honda and Toyota buyers, perhaps for life.

Ford's present product line still has some turds, but Alan Mulally has done wonders since he came on board.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:59 AM   #23
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy75 View Post
Well, actually as far as the carpet liner in the rear goes my Mazda 6 wagon is no better, as it was made at the Ford plant in Flat Rock, MI. But compare the quality of the carpet, especially in the back of the hatchback, with something like a Toyota Prius and you'll see what I mean. I haven't checked a Hyundai or Kia compact lately, but the last Kia Sorento I looked at had nicely finished carpeting with binding around the edges. The floor liner in the back of a Focus looks like cheap indoor/outdoor carpet stamped out from a press. I understand on the base models how Ford might want to pinch pennies, but it would be nice if they could offer an upgrade to the carpet as part of a package.

The rear seats themselves just seem thin and cheap. I realize that there's a lot more effort going into saving weight these days, and these are relatively minor issues, but when you're going from showroom to showroom comparing brands these small things do not leave a favorable impression.

That said, none of them drive as nicely as the Focus, and the Focus looks cool, so at least Ford spent the money where it really counts.
At least according to Car and Driver the rear seats in the Focus are some of the most comfortable in its class even though the leg room might be a little bit smaller than some of its competitors.

They don't seem that thin or cheap to me, but ok.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #24
GhiaFan
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 50498
What I Drive: 2007 Panther Black Focus 1.6 Ti-VCT

FF Reputation: 12 GhiaFan Great Standing Member
Quote:
But compare the quality of the carpet, especially in the back of the hatchback, with something like a Toyota Prius and you'll see what I mean. The floor liner in the back of a Focus looks like cheap indoor/outdoor carpet stamped out from a press.
The rear seats themselves just seem thin and cheap. .
So if I understand what you are talking about, I will use pictures to be clear on which carpet you are talking about.

Toyota Yaris 2012

2012 Focus

Or are you talking about the floor carpet in the cabin?
2012 Focus
2012 Yaris

???? I know way off topic but I am trying to understand what you are seeing.
My guess it you want to see a nice carpeted cargo liner

This is the lining in a BMW 525

which to me looks about the same as what is used in the Focus.

Focus sedan
Old 09-01-2012, 10:03 PM   #25
zippy75
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

I'm talking about the carpeting in the back cargo area mostly, but even the rest of it is not exactly high-grade. The stuff in the cargo area of the focus is about the same thickness as blanket off your bed, and it just lays on top with no edging. Maybe it's just me, but I think of the Focus as being a couple notches above a Yaris and deserving of better. I'll post some pictures of my girlfriends Prius tomorrow, which cost about the same as the Focus I'm looking at. It's more like the BMW.

Again, it's a small thing, but the Focus is not exactly a cheap car any longer. Many of the Titanium models are $26k or more.

Cam
Old 09-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #26
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Quote:
I'm talking about the carpeting in the back cargo area mostly, but even the rest of it is not exactly high-grade. The stuff in the cargo area of the focus is about the same thickness as blanket off your bed, and it just lays on top with no edging. Maybe it's just me, but I think of the Focus as being a couple notches above a Yaris and deserving of better. I'll post some pictures of my girlfriends Prius tomorrow, which cost about the same as the Focus I'm looking at. It's more like the BMW.

Again, it's a small thing, but the Focus is not exactly a cheap car any longer. Many of the Titanium models are $26k or more.

Cam

Posted via FF Mobile Do these other cars have a cargo carpet accessory maybe? You want a thicker cargo carpet with stitched edging...then buy the trunk carpet accessory. Most cars have this as an option, because most cars simply come with the standard thin stuff every other car comes with.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:23 PM   #27
zippy75
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Actually, you're right DK, checking out my girlfriend's Prius it is a thick cargo carpet lying on top of the cheap stuff, so probably an extra-cost option that came with the car. The cheap stuff in the Prius is better finished than that of the Focus, but after taking a tour of the River Rouge plant and watching those guys build F-150s, I'm not surprised. Can you believe that the 4X4 sticker on the bed of a pickup is just slapped on by some guy on the line? You'd think they'd at least have some laser light shining on there as a guide or something, but no, some guy just peels the label off a roll, eyeballs it and slaps it on. So much for precision placement, lol. Every time I see a crooked nameplate or logo on a car I laugh about that.

A recent test in one of the car mags mentioned how they had to finish clipping the door panel to the door when they got their car from Ford.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:33 PM   #28
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:

Cam
Which is why I'd be hard pressed not to spend the extra for an ST3. Mileage be dammed.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:46 AM   #29
RedOctober45
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101579
What I Drive: 2013 "Performance Blue" Titanium HB

FF Reputation: 1 RedOctober45 Good Standing Member
So far I been loving my '13. This is my first time with a DCT and I definitely notice most of the things that people complain about and I was never informed by the dealer of any of it either. To me it is just "different" but not bad. I was plagued with transmission failures on my '05 so if this technology is more reliable I'll take it over my '05 any day.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #30
GhiaFan
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 50498
What I Drive: 2007 Panther Black Focus 1.6 Ti-VCT

FF Reputation: 12 GhiaFan Great Standing Member
Quote:
Actually, you're right DK, checking out my girlfriend's Prius it is a thick cargo carpet lying on top of the cheap stuff, so probably an extra-cost option that came with the car. The cheap stuff in the Prius is better finished than that of the Focus,
There you go Zippy

I am pretty sure it won't meet your approval but at least you can purchase a slightly thicker cargo mat

Bookmarks & Social Networks